Bereft

Bereft

A Story by Anthony Arnold
"

If you like me, you won't after reading this.

"
Star Fort



Bereft

By his own hand, Man has forgotten a thing or two. We came to a place in 'progress', where certain things have been cast off, or forgotten in storage somewhere. It's true that in a perfect world of our own device, we would have no need or desire to be ever more grateful for what we know, and thus have. No more than our children would play with Tonka trucks, or act out a grand display of 'cowboys and indians'. Nobody needs that junk anymore, we have Wi-Fi, for Christs sake.
Prayer and praise and such nonsense have found less and less ground to stand on in our existence, what with all of our civilized content. Physically, but much more importantly, psychologically. And dare I say it?
Spiritually.
 These things merit more than a passing glance at the old storage  unit behind the garage under the underbrush. But it is like the degenerate who gets a cute puppy, and then through his leisurely life full of wonder and occupation 'forgets' about it, literally. We never wonder for more than a second 'what's up', or 'what happened' to the cute puppy. 'He', or 'we' tie it on a short rope, throw down a pan of water and gruel every day, but otherwise forget it exists.
Shame on all of us.
I'm just saying.
Because I'd rather not have to carry much of my personal guilt, onward.
Would I?
For myself I could never be cruel to an animal and treat it this way, for I was raised rurally, and around various animals, always. But I'm pretty sure that if I concentrate I could find similar despicable behavior in my own life.
That is why I am 'saying'.
We are bereft as a species of things of immense importance. Because the end result of this behavior, is ugly beyond our current ability to imagine. Imagine that.
Do you think that this advent in civilization as we know it could be somewhat responsible for other horrors we ignore?
Of course it does.
Stop pretending you can't see it, a*****e.
Our psychotic and sadistic 'leaders', who play on our every fear and lower instinct, are the result.
Oh, it's true alright. Much as I hate to admit it.
How's the dog  population in your community?

What do you mean, 'how should I know?'
Let there be one or two among you who know.
Or, we'll see you in that place of utter darkness.
Where there will be weeping.
Gnashing of teeth.
And WiFi.



© 2020 Anthony Arnold


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

12 Views
Added on March 4, 2020
Last Updated on March 4, 2020

Author

Anthony Arnold
Anthony Arnold

Rosarito Beaches, Baja California, Mexico



About
this one guy.... he stole my wallet, then he was helping me look for it.... sigh ..... more..

Writing