Prologue and Chapter One

Prologue and Chapter One

A Chapter by TransparentHearts

Book Two

Shivara’s Revenge

Midnight’s Tale to Hollow’s End


Prologue

The crisp air of fall hit me like a burst of wind rushing in with leaves entangling in my jet black hair. My hand briskly moved to the top of my head and brushed them out. It was long after school let out. My English teacher, Mrs. Garvey, had me stay after to work on my unfinished project for the revolutionary war. Tying American History and English literature together is one of her ‘combining strategies’ for students to be more efficient in both classes. Frankly, it was dull and irksome. It’s my senior year after all. I just wanted a break from all the tedious schoolwork. I let out a heavy sigh to break the silence that surrounded me.

 Night has fallen as my eyes searched the horizon. My body stood still, erect in the night, waiting. Perhaps I was waiting for nothing, if it hadn’t been for those lousy scratches reappearing on me day after day. It clued me in that something was after me. Again. Well, no matter. They are only scratches, and I had no recollection of getting them like usual.  Just a few wounds here and there, nothing major or anything.

I took a deep breath in, and I started walking towards home, my warm bed, comfy pillows, and fleecy blankets along with a nice warm glass of milk. Out of nowhere, a pitch black shadow lunged in front of me and I dodged to the side. It was an impulse to move, the adrenaline rushing through my body. The shadow reacted as I did, and hit me head on. My body flew like a propelled object flying through the air by force of motion, completely knocked defenseless. I lay on the cold concrete and all went black before my eyes.


 

 

Chapter One

The Awakening

 

 

 

 

“Hey! Did his eyes just flicker? Somebody get the nurse! I think he’s waking up,” I heard a female voice exclaim. I lay still with my eyes closed to find out what the damage was. Starting down at my toes, I wiggled or gently moved each body part. Then, the electricity flew through me. I couldn’t move my right side from the stinging and burning I felt. I blinked, and all I saw was lights and lots of them shining down on me. My face cringed and then the lights were dimmed. The nurse slid the curtains back and wandered over to me asking how I felt. The questions dragged on. I kept my eyes closed, but I knew my mom was next to me when she took my hand in hers and interlocked our fingers. I gently smiled when she gave me a small hug and whispered, “Rest now,” in my ear. That’s exactly what I did.

When I awoke, I found myself alone in my hospital room, and my arm completely bandaged along with my chest. The stabbing pain was numbed most likely to the IV and the liquid bag hanging on the stand next to my bed. The muted TV was on and showing an old time reality show. I watched the characters speak and gave up trying to figure out what they were mouthing. My attention turned to the clock. Everyone was at lunch eating without me and I was left in this bed with nothing to eat.

I reached for the phone for room service but my hand swiped air. I glanced over to where the phone should have been and realized it was across the room. My aching limbs and growling stomach dared me to stand up and walk to the phone. I ignored it to try to remember what happened to me. A brief flashback crossed my mind, but after the fall it was just black. Nothing. No pain, no aches, or anything. There was no pain until now. Consciousness drove my pain, or so I thought. I attempted to pass out by putting my hands around my throat and cutting off my air and circulation. That didn’t exactly work. My mother walked in and my arms dropped to my sides.

“Hi, honey! You’re awake,” she smiled, concern flickering in her green eyes. I nodded slowly, smiling at her for coming to see me.

“Are you hungry, Tyco?” My mom’s sweet voice rang out to me. Again, I nodded to indicate my lunchtime hunger. Loud growls rumbled deep from my food-deprived tummy. My eyes watched my mom, and I noticed a flicker of worry in her body language.

“Tyco, it’s been a few days since you’ve been awake. You must be starving,” her kind words spoke to me.  A few days? I thought. I must’ve been really knocked out cold. I smiled at her trying to diminish her worry. She handed me a hospital menu from her back pocket and I gladly accepted it. I glanced through the many assortments of food, one of which I didn’t know how it could be heart healthy.

“Thanks, Mom, but no need to worry. I’ll be fine once I get outta this place. Until then, I’ll take a double bacon cheeseburger and fries with tartar sauce.” She smiled, mostly in relief I think. Whatever the reason, her smile made me feel safe and away from that cold, dank night a few days ago. My mom took to the telephone, already calling the kitchens for my meal.

“Uh…Mom, when am I getting discharged?” I asked, devouring my just-delivered food. I watched her closely, my body feeling well nourished again after only a few bites of burger. She sat on my bed watching me eat; her language was kind and relieved.

“I asked the attendants if you could be discharged this afternoon. They didn’t see anything wrong with that. All the doctor said was that you didn’t have any head trauma, so you’re free to come back home,” she encouraged me. A wide smile spread across my face in sheer delight. That was good. I hate hospitals. Well…most of the time. After consuming my fries and tartar combo, I stood up. My knees didn’t shake or buckle and I thought I was fine to be discharged home today.

“Did you bring me any clothes?” I asked my mom, who was foolishly playing with the lace curtains. She nodded to me, and the hunt for them began. They rested on the sink in the overly white bathroom.  I changed with minimal pain into the ACDC T-shirt and faded blue jeans. My sneakers were under my bed.  I slipped them on, and walked out to discharge myself. I did not want to stay cooped up in my hospital room anymore. It was like being in a hotel room that you can’t do anything in. So, I checked out and found my way to the silver Buick in the parking lot. I knew my mom would drive my car here. Jumping in the driver’s seat, I waited for my mom to join me.

My mom opened the door and slide inside, putting all the bags in my crowded backseat. Every CD I owned, some shirts that were mine, and a few bags of chips were lying on my seats. That was all that my mom needed to see anyway. I backed out of the parking space, and out onto the freedom of the open road.

It felt amazing to be out on the road again. Testing my speed limits with my mom, I sped up to 75 and slowed to a crawl when pulling into our driveway.



© 2010 TransparentHearts


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on May 18, 2010
Last Updated on May 18, 2010


Author

TransparentHearts
TransparentHearts

About
Well...where to start. (The short version) I liiike weird crazy, not run-of-the-mill kind of stuff. Liike taking an armadillo on a rollar coaster. How fun would that be?!?! You could call me crazy. I .. more..

Writing