Chalkdust

Chalkdust

A Poem by Sasha Evans

     It’s starting again. The sleepless nights, meandering up and down the chutes and ladders, going back three spaces and losing myself only to turn around and realize that I am back where I needed to be. Hop scotching down the tiles of brightly lit gumdrops, coming to a sudden stop at the sight of an unsightly mop that obviously had a handle on things, so I let it go on its way, on my way, through the milky way of glittering stickers and stamps that glow so pleasantly, so alluringly.
     Open the door and stumble into a world of pink frills, of lacey thrills, and wonder when Barbie became Bulimic. “It’s about time,” I say as I swim through the masses, feeling as though I’m in molasses, sticky, sweet kind, sickeningly sweet kind,  and I pull myself out before I let myself be pulled in by the flow and get swept up in the unrelenting tide of expectations.
     I find you off the beaten path, a tea party in motion, your furry friends and neighbors at undivided attention. You offer me a cup and ask if I want some tea and I nod my head and say, “Certainly.” You smile as you pour your liquid happiness into my cup and I ask you what your favorite color is and smile when you say, “You.” I take a sip and close my eyes and let myself fly free.
     I land in a plush mountain of fairytales and lullabies and feel my body burn in shame as the fireflies light around me and I wonder what it would take for me to be like them, to burn like them, to be as vivacious as they. I stand, my arms held wide, my eyes closed and hope for rain because in the end, we’re all going to be washed away.

Chalkdust 1/26/2009

© 2010 Sasha Evans


Author's Note

Sasha Evans
Lack of sleep can work ones' mind in strange ways. This being a great example on my part.

Critique encouraged!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 29, 2010
Last Updated on June 29, 2010

Author

Sasha Evans
Sasha Evans

WV



About
Books are my passion, writing is my life. Practice makes perfect, yet I aim for less. My confidence reigns me in when I pull away at a gallop. I encourage your words of wisdom, so that I may apply the.. more..

Writing



Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114