Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Nadine

'Leo, I want you to think this through. I don't want a no for an answer', the King of Kingdom Wanderly, King Camden, was clearly having a hard time convincing me, Prince Leon Byron Finley, the only heir of the throne.

'Father, the idea is totally absurd. Think of it this way, I'm not interested in marriage! It has never come across in my mind at all!' I was so mad and I know I'm losing it.

'But, son, you are of age already. You are ready to be take my place.' The look of my father's face showed how desperate he was at the very moment.

I shoved my fingers through my hair that wasn't messy.

I sighed.

'But why? I don't get it. You weren't king at my age. Now I have to take over the throne... Not only that! I have to get married! My god, can't my day get any worse?!' I started pacing up and down the thick, expensive rug on my father's study.

'I know, Leo. You see you don't have a choice.' I almost had to get closer to him to hear what he had just said.

'What do you mean?!' I asked slowly.

'You see, son, I don't know how to break it to you but I'm sick. Sick, Leo....', whispered father.

Quickly I went down on my knees and looked at him. I see a man, not just any man: but a tired-looking and helpless King who had ruled the kingdom successfully for the past 20 years.

Silently, I admired him. His strength and fairness are the very few qualities that shined through him as a ruler.

'How... Sick. Are you? It is not that bad right?' I stammered. For the first time in my 25 years.

'Let's just say I only have 2 months to live.. Leo, I know I'm asking too much from you but the kingdom needs a new ruler and of course, you are the best and only choice. You are my heir; the future king of the throne, Leo. Do this for me and your mother at least.' Please?' He begged.

I stood up and went over the window that overlooked the beautiful maze. My mind is bursting with the overloaded requests. Marriage, becoming a husband, to find a bride in less than- what- 2 months? Be king, a ruler. Then I thought: Thank God I was done with my studies.

Hell. Where and when can I find a decent woman; to be the next Queen? Blast it all!

'... I'm holding a ball at end of next week. A masquerade ball. This is to help you in search of your future wife...'

'Wait! What?' I glared at him, I think it might be too much because my father cringed.

He blurted, 'Well, I thought I get the ball rolling for you. Make it easier y'know?'

'Father! This is like a opening presents on Christmas Day! The only thing that's different is that the presents are not here!' I yelled and seething with anger.

'Sorry son. I didn't know how to anticipate this myself. Things happened. That's life. And you got to take it like a man.'

'Oh, so now you're saying I'm not manly enough to take all of it?!!! Woah, now you got me all riled up!'

'Come on Leo! I don't want to argue with you.' My father was heaving and clutching his chest in pain. I scurried over to his side.

I took hold on of him, guiding him to the bed, 'Father, are you okay? What do you need? I'm sorry. It's just that... Never mind. I'll think about it tonight. Promise.'

'You sure?' He was taking deep, slow breaths.

'Yeah, if you say so. Should I call Mom?'

'Please do, Leo.' I stood up, walked towards the door when he said, 'I know you won't disappoint me, son'.

I hung my head and reluctantly said,
'I won't, Dad'.

Click.


© 2014 Nadine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on April 18, 2014
Last Updated on April 18, 2014
Tags: love parade, love, heartbreak, royal, masquerade ball


Author

Nadine
Nadine

Australia



About
A once-upon-a-time teacher who is now a SAHM to 2 young, energetic, and charming boys. Squeezing time to write in between nursing sessions and after the boys' bedtime at 8pm. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Nadine


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Nadine


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Nadine