When my mother smiles

When my mother smiles

A Poem by natnickeep
"

I wrote this poem from a writing prompt asking to tell about how you feel when your mother smiles. My mother has schizophrenia. Life for us wasn't so easy.

"
When my mother smiles I am shadowed with pain. I know she feels no happiness, I know she feels no pain. She's like a slate gone forever blank, I don't know how she got this way. 

It's not her fault, I know she's not to blame, skitzophrenia has won her game.
 
I know now why we were always different. My mom was the cool mom because she was always so distant. Looking back I wish she was there, though she did her best I went through life scared. 

A mother is supposed to love and protect, but the disease took over in all respects. 

She lost perspective, she lost control, we were children together out in the cold. 

After anger and resentment I learned for myself, that the darkness in our lives she couldn't help. 

It's an ongoing lesson and a daily struggle living with the truth, while fighting the battle of her own denial. 

She's part of me as I am part of her, we live with a disease that there is no cure. 
When my mother smiles, I smile back, I hide the pain and try to imagine that she is still sane. 

© 2011 natnickeep


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you both. It's a feeling and a story I have trouble coping with much less talking about..but somehow I found the words. I appreciate you both taking the time to read it and comment. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


so sad but i loved it [: keep writing

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This moved me in a way that i know is nothing compared to how it effects you. It seems like effortless rhyming which makes it all the more powerful for it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

215 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 17, 2011
Last Updated on June 17, 2011

Author

natnickeep
natnickeep

Writing
Today Today

A Poem by natnickeep


Questions Questions

A Poem by natnickeep