PHASE 2

PHASE 2

A Chapter by necrophyton

Allen Frost is 17 years old, with a hopeless mess of black hair, of average height for his age, and overall has the air of a fairly boring person around him. He spends most of the time doing something to do with gear frames. He watches television programs about them, plays video games of them, he reads comic books and magazines of them, and he builds plastic models of them, which he insists are not toys. He also enjoys using a G-frame piloting simulator, and is quite the capable pilot. Or at least, he is in the simulator. He spends a lot of time designing G-frames as well. Not just drawings, but actual blueprints that would actually be able to function if ever they were actually constructed. Probably.

 

He has also been an orphan since he was a toddler. His parents Jake and Jenna Frost were G-frame engineers, and they died during a freak explosion involving a faulty sub-gaia core. As consolation, his parents were good friends with Glenn Arrowsmith, father of Charlotte and then heir to the Arrowsmith family business. Glenn decided to take young Allen under his wing, though as a legal guardian instead of as a foster father.

 

In the beginning, Allen lived with the Arrowsmiths in their mansion; however he never really fit in the place. He always shunned the maids, Mr. and Mrs. Arrowsmith, the groundskeeper, etc. but the only person he seemed to enjoy the company of was Charlotte, and possibly the security guard, Bob. Between brunch and piano lessons and just before dinner were the usual times that he and charlotte played together, though it was also Charlotte who had the active role in the games they would play.

 

Generally though, Allen spent his time alone, thinking about what his parents must've been like. Or something G-frame related. When Allen was at the age of eight Mr. Arrowsmith brought him to the factory for the first time. Allen happened to spot a gear frame being fitted with weaponry and needless to say it was love at first sight. By the time that they drove home Mr. Arrowsmith was sick of Allen's questions about gear frames, and this is no mean feat considering the fact that Mr. Arrowsmith is a gear frame enthusiast himself.

 

Essentially that sparked Allen’s interest in G-frames, which is likely the first and only thing thus far that Allen took seriously. Charlotte did her best to try to keep up with Allen, but as she wasn’t as interested in G-frames as Allen was, she just settled for occasionally popping into Allen’s room and asking him what he was up to. He went to the factory as frequent as possible with Mr. Arrowsmith, or Uncle Glenn as he preferred to be called.

 

Allen Dreamt of being a prize pilot, something that Uncle Glenn did not approve of; he says that “sport G-frames are a misuse of technology; just because you have the resources to waste doesn’t mean you should”. He instead insisted that he learn to engineer G-frames instead, personally tutoring him from the age of twelve.

 

 At the age of fifteen, Uncle Glenn had taught everything he knew about G-frames, and Allen was designing them on his own. He had even designed an extremely high performance G-frame that was capable of achieving speeds in excess of six hundred kilometers per hour. It could even make ninety degree turns on the fly with minimum deviation. Unfortunately even with the best G-force dampeners the strain that it theoretically placed on a pilot would make even the best trained pilots black out within thirty seconds.

 

That did not, however, stop Allen from attempting to convince Uncle Glenn to manufacture it; or at least to put up the designs in The Arrow tech catalogue. Uncle Glenn eventually put up the designs on their website, and the blueprints were promptly snatched up by an anonymous purchaser. Uncle Glenn gave the proceeds to Allen since it was his design in the first place, but as to whether the G-frame was ever constructed, or even saw the light of day, it remains a mystery.

 

Allen didn’t make just one design. He had multiple blueprints for G-frames stored on his PC, although nearly all his designs disregarded the human element and ended up being too difficult to control or too impractical. One design almost convinced Uncle Glenn to put it into production, had it not been for the design flaw that it was so power hungry that it would drain the G-frame’s battery within eight minutes of operation.

 

Allen secretly put up a website where he and fellow G-frame engineers (who were mostly above the age of thirty-five) could share blueprints, designs, and innovations and discuss topics such as how to properly calibrate a frame’s reaction to controls relative to its purpose. He went under the pseudonym N.G. Near so other members of the site couldn’t tell that they were discussing physics with a teenager. The site has actually been used by several companies to scout for potential engineers. N.G. Near has even been asked to join several significant companies, including Arrow tech, although Allen turned them all down because he has plans to join Arrow tech anyway and tell Uncle Glenn that he’s N.G. Near. Eventually.

 

In the end though, Allen really just wanted to be a G-frame pilot, he didn’t care if he was a prize pilot battling it out with others for fame and glory, or a pilot on the front lines defending the nation. He had no idea that dream was soon to come true; or whether he’d be happy about achieving that dream.

 



© 2012 necrophyton


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on July 7, 2012
Last Updated on July 7, 2012


Author

necrophyton
necrophyton

zamboanga city, IX, Philippines



About
I think too much. I'm thinking about why i'm thinking so much, and i think I need to think about it. more..

Writing
PHASE 1 PHASE 1

A Chapter by necrophyton


PHASE 3 PHASE 3

A Chapter by necrophyton