My First Days

My First Days

A Chapter by Alexis

Large hands pulled me from the head. I could hear my Dam screaming in pain as she labored me. I tried my hardest to help get out but my frail body could not handle it. I felt cold air surround my body as I released from my mothers warmth. My sack got pulled off of me by an odd creatures warm hands. My mother turned and nipped at it, then lowered her head to greet me. I greeted her back with a soft snort, and she licked me clean. Her soft pick tongue  whirling around my thin layer of skin and fur. She stood when she was done. I tried imitating her  movements but fell on my hindquarters. It took awhile but eventually I made it up to her warm body. I reached for the milk not wanting to wait any longer. Then suckled loudly on the rich milk. Boy, did it taste good. A Colt's first meal is always it's best.

There were voices behind me," Look at it's legs Pa. They are crooked. The foal's no good. He was a waste of good time and a good broodmare!"

The loud noise startled me. I laid down and mother laid with me curling me within her sweetness and warmth.

"He could be a good pleasure horse son. Don't get all worked up." Another voice answered.

"Don't tell me that! I need money! mi.'s well sell him to the slaughterhouse, if they'll even take that ugly thing."

"No! We won't sell him to the slaughterhouse. He's a good little feller, you'll see son." There was a kindness in his voice so much unlike the other.

"I want him out of our stables! the other yelled.

"Your 26 years old Kyle I think  you would act like it." The voices boomed. I laid my ears back and snorted. That sure got their attention, but all the wrong kinds. they both looked at me.

"Look at the coat. A nice blue roan and gray color. That'll sell for a nice price."

"Fine. Have it your way but I'm not paying for the thing. It's all on you." The voices faded and I closed my eyes, snuggling down deeper within the shavings.


When I next wake up the sun is shining through the back doors to the stall. Something fresh is out there, The smell is wonderful. but before I can go explore I need milk.  I suckled loudly again on the warm liquid.  Then I rested my eyes in the corner of the stall. When my sweet dreams were over I stood and stuck my nose to the fresh door.

There was a laughing behind me, "Awww, look at him. He wants outside." A teenager was standing outside my door. I snorted to warn her to back away, then took a few step toward her. When she reached out I took some steps backwards.

"Oh, come on now you silly thing. Fine you win." She realized her defeat over me.

The fresh door as I now call it slides open, a warm breeze crosses my face. Everywhere I look people stand around the fence line. Waiting for me?  I prance out into the grass kicking up my heals as I go. Then I gallop around the fence line whirling past everyone. They come closer for a better look.  I stop when a human comes in. A weird contraption in his hand. I realize it's Kyle! The one who hates me. Everyone gets quite as I take a step back.

"Kyle, leave him alone he's only a day old!" someone shouts from the crowd.

"So? He can learn a little discipline on his first day. Right Bane?"

"Bane? What kind of name is Bane? He's not an evil villain out of Batman is he now?" There is a soft laughter in his evil voice.

"Or is he?" He handles a rope in his hands as if it was a snake, wrangling it and folding it in knots. The crowd around us slowly thins out till there is only the teenager and the kind voice of a man

"Zoey! Get a halter ready." Kyle shouts, hurting my fragile newborn ears. I see Zoey the teenager run off to the tack room and return with a red halter. Or so it's called.

'Bring it in!" The girl opens the gate, hands him the halter then tries to exit, but i won't let her.


Realizing this may be my only chance to escape i run. I charge through the gate and past the girl and gallop into the open world. The sun is shining and the day is perfect, not to mention the ocean's, salt water smell floating in the air. I can hear my Dam rushing up behind me, and people shouting at us as we pass. Kyle is frustrated, i can tell he has been wanting to hurt me, and now he has the chance. I run to the only thing that looks safe, the beach were the waves crash and the blue ocean water cools the sand. There is no gate to be opened or no girl to push passed, only the suns rays shining down to make a rainbow in the sand. My mother runs ahead of me charging into the shallow waters, while behind me Kyle charges onto the the beach with a cow horse and a rope. He's gaining on us now , and there is no time to halt against the waves, so i plunge my little hooves into the waves and swim to my mother. Thinking we were the only ones who were not afraid of it. I was wrong. Kyle's cow horse jumped in the waves with us and splashed the sides of his boots with salty water. He tossed the rope over to me, thought he wanted to play so i didn't fight it, until it tightened around my tiny neck and burned me, i couldn't breathe, instead of swimming with the waves they crashed over me. Drowning my little lungs in pools of water. I can now her Zoey's voice looming in and out of the waters crashing sounds. She rides in on her own horse. My rope comes un-done and i don't know how. I manage to  emerge to the surface and see Kyle in the water and Zoey hitting him. That's when the older man comes and takes her off of him.. By now my mother and the cow pony have made it to shore, yet I still struggle with the waves. It's still so hard to breath and my lungs can't take anymore. I collapse in the water and let the casting waves take me ashore.

The Sand is warm on my wet back, the ocean water is finding it's way to my feet. I start coughing up water out of my lungs as Zoey rushes to me and kneels beside me.



© 2014 Alexis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on December 29, 2013
Last Updated on July 15, 2014


Author

Alexis
Alexis

Khartoum , Khartoum , Sudan



About
Hi I'm Hfia and as it obvious I'm an Arab so I don't know much of English . I write poetry in English but it is not that good and I'm trying to improve it so please... umm leave a nice comment more..

Writing
Fallen Boy Fallen Boy

A Poem by Alexis