Winter

Winter

A Story by Nikki Geiser
"

A short setting sketch

"

The icy wind whipped throughout the pine farm, snaking between and around each luscious tree. Hundreds, thousands of the tree symbolic for Christmas lined the countryside in an uncountable number of rows and columns. Snowflakes gently danced downward from the overcast sky, adding a fresh layer to the snow already present on the ground and filling in the plentiful imprints belonging to the feet of preceding visitors. On the western horizon, the sun could be seen, making its descent through the evening. The skies were simultaneously dimming into a clouded navy hue.

            Families, couples, and even solitary folks roamed the extensive tree nursery, looking for the perfect holiday tree to decorate. A family with three small kids bundled up in winter coats, gloves, hats, and scarves strolled down a column in the middle of the coppice. One of the little girls peered ahead and then scampered as fast as she could in her clunky boots to a distant stump. She clambered atop and poised as the Statue of Liberty, causing her parents to chuckle and her younger brothers to mimic her actions. The little girl gazed upwards towards the sky and grinned. Dainty flakes continued to descend, so she held her pink tongue out, in an attempt to capture a frozen crystal.

© 2014 Nikki Geiser


Author's Note

Nikki Geiser
I was just looking for a feel of the text, no plot

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

And it does that well.
Love the detail. ..the siblings mimicking and so on. Good use of verbs, i loved snaking and whipping early on in the piece. Sometimes I think you could use fewer adjectives. For example the plentiful imprints and preceding visitors. If I was trying to visualise the scene then the footprints on their own are more effective.





Posted 9 Years Ago


Nikki Geiser

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your review!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

146 Views
1 Review
Added on August 29, 2014
Last Updated on August 29, 2014
Tags: setting, winter

Author

Nikki Geiser
Nikki Geiser

Holland, OH



About
High School student more..

Writing
Alive Alive

A Story by Nikki Geiser


Lucifer Lucifer

A Story by Nikki Geiser