Never

Never

A Story by Nia Hope

    "Surrender!" It shouted with a demon like cry
    "Never" I whispered running out of air as its claw like nails began to break the skin on my neck. It dropped me like a rag doll and as I gasped for air it kicked me in the side, breaking a rib.
     "Get up" it growled and I did. It pushed me down again and repeated the order and I once again got back up. My neck and the collar of my shirt were soaked in blood and I breathed heavily trying to calm myself so I wouldn't do anything irrational and to try getting my heart beat back to some form of an equilibrium.
    "You will surrender to me and when you do, I will kill you." It hissed in my ear.
    "Never" I whispered in reply.
It became angry and shouted as its club snapped my arm like a dried up pine needle. I howled "Never!" It hated that word. I've been told never to say never, but never hasn't gotten people anywhere.  
    "Stop saying that!" It cried as he covered his ears.
     "Never." I said bravely. It charged at me with its knife and thrusted the weapon into my gut and twisted it. I wanted to scream in pain but I held back.
    "Scream" it said in an eerily calm manner.
    As it let go of the knife and allowed me to stumble backwards against the wall, I pulled the knife out and said with every ounce of determination in me "Never."  I walked towards it and said "never" repeatedly, growing louder each time until I pounced on it, knocking it over and stabbed it in its throat. It screeched in pain and I twisted the blade as it had twisted the knife in me. It gurgled its few last incomprehensible words and I watched the darkness disappear from its eyes and blood drip from its mouth and throat as it died.
    "Never say never." I said as I tried to walk out of the room. Before I could I fell on all fours, almost screaming as I landed on my shattered arm,  and tried to crawl away with my good arm. Blood soaked my entire shirt by the time I felt I couldn't even move anymore. My head felt light, and my muscles weak. I collapsed on my stomach and whispered "I died trying." With my last breath, I still whispered "never". 

© 2013 Nia Hope


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It grabbed me in from the first sentence. Aethereal. The title reminded me of Nevermore from the famous Poe poem. Thanks so much for sharing!

-CW

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Lol everyone says that about The Raven and that's kinda what I was going for so I'm glad I could acc.. read more
You caught my attention with your title and initial sentence, and then your story's suspense carried me to the end of this story about a violent confrontation with an evil beast. "Never!" reminds me of Poe's raven who kept saying "Nevermore!". This evil beast seems to be a metaphor for Death.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Actually that raven is what kind of inspired me to write it. Thank you for reading :)
Never give in and never say never. Both explored here. Once started you have to read it to the end.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reading :)
Is this a metaphor for rape, and the sheer terror and disgusting antics within it, without the obscene acts? or am i overthinking again? I tend to do that.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Actually it isn't at all about rape, but that's an interesting interpretation of this I've never tho.. read more
Really cool story. I got through it and I'm an ADD case from way back. NEVER!!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Lol thank you glad I could keep your attention :)
Well, this is diffrent; I do like it, though. Its storyline made me want to read further on into the story, further into this person's horrible situation. I liked how you repeated the word 'never' - sometimes it does work to say never :) I learned that from this story.
Grammar could use a little work, but besides that I don't see anything that needs to changed.
I liked this unique piece a lot! Keep up the good work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Thank you! I guess I'm just better at writing parts of stories than writing whole ones.
Interesting flash... I wanted to know so much more. That's the trouble with writing flash, it's tough to find a story that can be intact, contained, and fully explained in so few words. Enjoyed the read nonetheless.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Thank you I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

285 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 10, 2013
Last Updated on July 12, 2013

Author

Nia Hope
Nia Hope

NV



About
Writing is magic and I am a magician in training with some small tricks but many more to learn. more..

Writing
Wolf Cry Wolf Cry

A Poem by Nia Hope



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Forever Forever

A Poem by Blue


Underground Underground

A Poem by s y e