Kids

Kids

A Poem by Nia Hope
"

I haven't started on the requests yet but I've just been sentimental because my brother is starting middle school and my sister is only a year away from starting high school they grow up fast :')

"
You look at them now, but didn't realize it then.
You look at them now and don't want to realize it later.
Kids grow up no matter what you may try to do to stop it or make it come faster.
You think back to when they were still in diapers and half of their body weight was baby fat. Then you think back to when they first walked, their first words, silly pictures you took of them as they got older.
You see them now, talented and accomplished or somewhere they shouldn't be. You see them now, becoming independent adults or at least adolescents. You think of what they may become, both good or bad, though you try not to.
You start to get sad because you know soon that they won't be living with you and that they will be starting their own lives. You get scared because you won't be able to always protect them and make sure they have what they need. You'll always have their backs and be there for them if anything happens, it just wont be the same as them being under your watch.
This may be what you might hear a parent say, but that I most definitely am not. I know that when I become one these same thoughts and feeling will come back if not stronger. I am simply the older sister of some of the most amazing kids in the whole world. <3 

© 2013 Nia Hope


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

This reads really well as prose. An excellent job, and some very honest observations.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much :)
I really like the beginning. I think you could have separated the mid-end sections a bit to make it easier to read. But, that's nothing really.

Having a 1 year old son, I can understand. Though, I do like to think of his future, though it's usually good, and when it's bad, I like to think he'd be safe to come home to me. So, I don't know if I can relate to that bit.

I think it would have been better without the sister bit. The thing about poetry is you don't need to explain yourself. If don't keep yourself hidden people should be able to figure out what you're saying. I've experimented with breaking poetry apart and I've taken some complicated poems and figured out their meaning exactly on before. Most times I'm off, but only by a little. So, your poetry says more than you give it credit.

So, I think it would've been better without that bit. I read it with and without it and it's better without. If you want us to know he's not yours, put hints about it, reference it. But it's not important enough to warrant a whole section to itself, just a line. Maybe two.

Other than that, I think you did a fairly good job. You said what your heart wanted to say and you said it beautifully, because it was honest. Pure. Beautiful.

M. Super.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Honestly I put the fact that I'm the older sister because I don't want to take credit for how awesom.. read more
SuperChick62

10 Years Ago

They being kids or they being parents? Either way, nothing to worry about it. Just because you're no.. read more
Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

I mean how awesome my siblings are and that credit goes to my parents and I see what you are saying .. read more
Very true! Thanks for sharing it!

-CW

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Thanks for reading :)
They do grow up quickly. That's for sure.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

Don't I know it lol thanks for the review
Ah, but this is only the beginning. As all grow and move onto the next stage what excitement will it bring? I know its scary, imagine how good it will be in maybe 10 years to have nieces & nephews. My kids (I have 6) are closer than ever, all married with kids.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

That's awesome, though I'm not quite sure if I want to imagine my sibling having kids yet, let alone.. read more
so sweet and siblings i can see here!
i feel sometime too...
and i hate to see that im all grown up!
thank for sharing this still proud feelings thoughts and experience...

Posted 10 Years Ago


Nia Hope

10 Years Ago

You're so welcome and thank you for reading :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

451 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 25, 2013
Last Updated on August 25, 2013
Tags: siblings, growing up, proud

Author

Nia Hope
Nia Hope

NV



About
Writing is magic and I am a magician in training with some small tricks but many more to learn. more..

Writing
Wolf Cry Wolf Cry

A Poem by Nia Hope



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Ignorance Ignorance

A Poem by Avinash