Greetings from Gent

Greetings from Gent

A Story by sharingsmoke
"

Musings after a week alone in a foreign country.

"
Hello to those who I've abandoned in my quest for adventure,
How are you all?
It's been about a week since I left Ireland, although it already feels like longer. Without it needing to be said, here I am, alive, after six whole days abroad, alone. Ghent, Belgium. My new home. Oh, she is a beauty. I left Ireland three weeks earlier than I necessarily needed to, with the intention of finding a job. I've been lucky enough to be offered a trial in an Irish bar next week, if that goes well I'll be a hired woman, and this will have all been worth it. 
What are your thoughts so far, I hear you ask, dear audience member. I suppose I shall tell you, then.
I was scared, leaving home. I'd done it before, twice, sure, but never without some sort of 'fallback'. When I left Galway to go to university in Limerick, it's true that the only person I knew was my brother. But I felt like I had little to lose because I'd grown tired of Galway, and the associations I had with it. I needed something new, to discover who I was, to discover what I could be. And, luckily enough, it paid off. I found myself being welcomed into an entirely new world of people and although first year was wild, and weird, it was the most fun I'd ever had. Uni took a back seat, I prioritized putting myself out there and meeting new people, getting involved heavily in Drama society in just a few weeks. I look back now on the person I was, and cringe just a bit. She was so much younger than I realized. But she was trying her best, god bless her. 
A year passed, and I left home, again. It was tougher the second time, because I had grown attached to Limerick, especially the people there. I felt like I was going to miss out, and that when I returned, I would have to find my footing in a land that had known me once, but forgotten me in my time abroad. Leaving Ireland for Spain was difficult, but I wasn't alone. I had Robert, and I had Spanish, and if it all went badly, it was only four months. That played in my mind upon leaving. I didn't know how it would go, but I had faith, I suppose. Four months flew by, in a whirlwind of sunburn, and laughter, vomiting up cheap vodka, new names, faces and eventually, friends. It was an experience I could never have had if I'd stayed in my room, as well I could have if I'd lacked courage. Once I came home, not everything was as I remembered, I'll admit. But I fell into my old routine, and I was welcomed back like the old friend I was. It felt like nothing had changed, even though it had, slightly. 
This time, it's different. I had my doubts about it all. I have my doubts about it all. I don't know anyone here, I don't speak Flemish, and I don't know how I'm going to get by. That's the honest truth. I don't even know what home will be like when I get back, if there'll be anyone at all who fondly remembers the name 'Nab' (that's a slight hyperbole, but the point stands). Before I left people told me that I was brave, and that it was going to be wonderful for me to experience. I was told that if anyone could do it, I could. So I took a breath, and a leap of faith. I moved to another country, ready for the risk. 
Let's hope it pays off.

Signing off for week one,
Niamh.

© 2019 sharingsmoke


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

22 Views
Added on September 6, 2019
Last Updated on September 6, 2019
Tags: travel, erasmus, blog