Unsaid Love

Unsaid Love

A Story by nibhz
"

Love doesn't need words..

"
“Mumma!! Mumma!!”, came running a sweet little girl in her white frock with pink polka dots, and hugged her mom
tight.
“yeah, princess!!”
“mumma, he teases me a lot!”, said the little girl with tear in her eyes.
“who brought tears to my little Riya’s eyes?” , asked her mom wiping her daughter’s tear away. The only thing she
couldn’t tolerate in this world was, tears in Riya’s eyes. Her daughter and her happiness was the sole purpose of her life, after her husband left. Riya was five when Ritesh died an untimely and unfortunate death in the plane crash when they were returning from vacations. Riya and Avni had survived to face the future alone.
“Akash, my classmate”, said Riya, stilling sobbing.
“Don’t worry! I will handle this. Now stop these tears. Let’s go and have an ice-cream”, said Avni smiling.
Akash! This name brought back so many memories after so many years! She hadn’t heard this name since the time
she couldn’t even remember! But after so many years, his name still made her smile.
“Ohk mom. But I want ice-cream matching with my pink dress”, said Riya very cutely.
Riya’s voice brought back Avni to reality from the world of memories that has just started to flashback.
“yah sure princess. Let’s go.”
_____________________________
Greedily enjoying her Baskin Robbins’ strawberry ice-cream, Riya noticed the bookshop across the road. Following the footsteps of her mom, Riya was an avid reader since she learned how to read. She loved reading the stories and especially the fairy tales. As soon as she finished a story-book, she craved for another. At the age of eight (or i-willbe-nine-in-a-month as she says), she was far ahead of the kids of her age group.
“Mom! Look there’s a bookstore there. Let’s go please!”
“Riya you haven’t finished the book you are currently reading. Finish it first then I will get a new one. C’mon lets go home. Mumma has lots of work to do.”
Being a single mother isn’t easy. Managing work and home, that too with a little daughter to take care of, can be
tiring. But Avni was still lucky. With her own boutique, she had her own schedule and can easily squeeze out time for her daughter except for some times when she would be too busy.
“Mom Please! It’s almost done. And it’s my birthday next month. I deserve one for my birthday gift as well.”
Riya was only demanding in the case of books. At the age when girls ask for dolls, she asked for books. Avni could see her younger self in her daughter and she knew she couldn’t say no to this one.
“Ohk. Let’s go. But only one book at a time remember. Because I have something special planned for your birthday this time.”
“What’s the plan mumma?”
“it’s a surprise darling”
“tell me pleaseeeeeeeeee”, said Riya widening her eyes and making a puppy-like face, her usual way of melting her mom to her demands.
“it won’t work sweety. It’s your birthday surprise and you will know it then. End of the discussion. And here we come to your favourite place. Go search yourself a book. I will be in the ‘Design’ section”
“ohk mom”

Books!! That’s how they had met the first time! It wasn’t actually a meeting though. Avni had gone to library with
her friend Priya. Priya hated books unlike Avni. Always Avni used to drag Priya to library but this time it was the other way round. It was Priya who wanted some book on ‘Product design’ and dragged Avni along, or rather Destiny did! And Avni happily agreed. Priya rushed to look for her book and in the meanwhile Avni strolled in her favourite section-‘Apparels Design’. She loved it! Being in the library of premier design college of the country, was an experience in itself, and she savoured it to the fullest. It had each and every book related to design and design was her life. She picked up ‘Elle‘ and went to ‘Reading Section’ of the library. She was just about to take a seat there, when she noticed a guy on the next desk colouring little mickey mouse figures with his Staedtler oil pastels scattered around the sheet. He was so engrossed with his colours that he didn’t even notice Avni standing there for full ten minutes. For that matter, even Avni hasn’t noticed that she had gone so near him, staring the cartoons. Avni was one of those who usually doesn’t go around poking their heads into others’
world. She minded her own business. But this was something unusual. Curiosity caught hold of her before she could get hold of herself and she blurted out sarcastically-“Mickeys! What an innovation!”. Immediately regretting what she said, she bit her lower lip embarrassed and murmured a polite apology-“Sorry” turning away.
But the guy answered before she could turn around- “CD project, Revival of Old times”
Avni looked at him and he kept doing his work, ignoring her.
“Oh”, murmured Avni, waiting to say something, but didn’t know what.
Seeing Avni still standing there perplexed, he finally decided to have a break and said- “Myself Akash Awasthi,
Communication Design, Third year”. He looked straight into her black eyes.
A few seconds later, Avni realized that she was being expected to introduce herself as well.
“Avni Agarwal, Apparel Design, Same batch”.
“Same batch? Never saw you before”, said Akash, surprised.
“Same here”
And before the conversation could further continue, Priya came searching for Avni.
“Oh Avni you are here, I have been looking for you everywhere”, said Priya, out of breath.
“Umm.. I just… yah lets go”, said Avni.
“Oh Hi Akash! I didn’t see you before”, said Priya in her usual chirpy tone. Avni gave her a puzzled look as if saying you-know-him-and-i-never-even-saw-him-before!
“Hi”, said Akash, as if terribly wanting to get back to his work. He wasn’t used to any kind of disturbance during his work and he hated it, which was particularly why he chose library for his work.
Sensing that their presence wasn’t welcome there, Priya said goodbye and they left.
As soon as they were out of the library, Avni asked Priya-“You know him?”
His personality had a strange effect on her. She couldn’t take him out of her mind. There was something weird that was stuck in her head.
“who?”, asked her back, having totally forgotten the meeting in the library.
“Akash”
“He was our classmate Avni, back in our foundation year before we chose our specialization”, said Priya as a matter of fact.
“Really? It was like I saw him for the first time in college!” Avni was still unable to track him as her batchmate.
“yes really. And it’s no shock you don’t remember him. Did you ever notice anyone apart from your little own world”
“Mom? Mom??”
Riya shook Avni and brought her back from the world of her memories. It took her a few minutes before she could take in the surroundings. She was sitting on the couch of the book store holding “The Secret” in her hands. His favourite. She didn’t remember picking up this book off the shelf and sitting down on the couch.
“Mom, I am done. Let’s go now”, said Riya holding her new possession- Enid Blyton’s The Enchanted Wood.
“And Mom we already have that book on our shelf “, said Riya, now pointing to the book in her mother’s hand.
“yeah, yeah, I remember! C’mon lets go”
_____________________________
Putting Riya to sleep, Avni came to balcony of her apartment with a cup of coffee in hand and “The Secret” in the other. It was this book which had made her survive through the times when life hit her hard on her face. She gave full credit of this new life to this book. Settling on the couch, she thought how tough that time was. Riya was just five. And she had no hopes that she will live through these tough times.

Her mind came back to consciousness breaking her already troubled sleep. She didn’t want to open her eyes and see that world again that has shattered her last night. She knew that all the thoughts that she had put away with such an enormous difficulty would come running back to her the moment she opened her eyes. After fidgeting for so long she finally opened her eyes and checked the time. It was only two hours of sleep she had managed. She tried again to sleep because more the number of waking hours meant more the hours of reality.
Her eyes were puffy and red due to crying and lack of sleep. Thankfully Riya was sleeping with her grandma. Avni had requested some time alone to cope up. She was restless. Her legs were paining as if she had been running since long.Running. Yes that’s exactly what she was doing these days: running from reality, running from the world, running from herself and everyone. Fidgeting she went off to sleep finally.
Her alarm woke her up an hour later. Lying in bed she thought- again a new day.. Get up and wear a mask, act like
you are ok and at one point of time you become a brilliant actor and nobody sees through your fakeness! whoa!
This had become her routine. She appeared fine to everyone, coping up the grief quite well; only the darkness of the night knew her truth- her pain-her reality. With the death of Ritesh, her world stood shattered into pieces. It was around this time, when strolling in a bookstore she found “The Secret” and remembered Akash’s words-This book can change your life. That was the day and until this day she never lived that miserable life again, she created a new one for herself and her daughter.

It was mid-afternoon, but the monsoon shower made the weather perfectly romantic. Sipping her coffee, another
memory came back to her which made her smile.

Terrace! Her favourite place ever since she discovered that lonesome corner on the college terrace. This corner was
her refuge whenever she wanted to be with none other than just herself. This place was the genesis for her most
creative works! This was a little secret even her closest friends didn’t know about. A place she cherished. A place that soothed her soul and cleansed her heart of all the worries in the world.
But her privacy was breached once and forever.
She had kept down her art-book near the entrance, went to sit near the edge of the roof, closer to the branches of the trees-closer to the nature. She was lost in her thoughts when she heard the footsteps. She turned around to see who that was. Someone had retraced his footsteps and was returning to the entrance.
“Excuse me?” she asked.
He stopped and turned round. To see it was Akash, she was even more annoyed, and she didn’t know the reason.
“yes? Oh hi! Avni right?”
“hmm.. hi” she forced a smile on her face, wishing to be left alone as soon as possible.
“sorry I disturbed your thoughts”, he apologized.
This touched her. It seemed that as if he knew the importance of solitude and respected it.
“Umm.. its ok. No problem”
“But actually I was looking for you”, he said, simultaneously stepping towards the edge of the roof.
“Me?? Why?”
“You left your I-Card in the library, the day before yesterday. So, I thought you might appreciate getting it back” said Akash, pulling out the I-card out of his pocket.
Avni just smiled, taking her I-card from him.
“Well, I think I should take your leave now or would you mind my presence here? Actually it’s my favourite. I won’t
infringe your silence, I promise”
“Yah sure. I don’t have any problem. C’mon have a seat”, said Avni, offering him to sit next to her.
He sat and there was perfect silence but then they started talking. Time flew with words. Avni was always an open person, but there were things no one knew; yet talking to Akash was something different. She told him things she never shared with anyone. Thoughts just became words. And she knew her thoughts were being reciprocated with the same frequency. Somehow, she didn’t regret sharing anything, being the first meeting with him. She knew she had found a good friend in him.

The doorbell rang and broke her reverie. Her hot coffee has become cold coffee by now. She smiled to herself
getting up to open the door.
_____________________________
The courier service delivery boy gave her the blue envelope and left. It was some kind of invitation of book-signing event from the bookstore she had membership of. Publicity measures, she thought.she tore open the seal, took out the invitation and unfolded it. What she read was beyond any anticipation. The letter read

Ms. Agarwal,
It’s our pleasure to invite you to the book-signing event of the newly launched book-DAD by Akash
Awasthi. The event is scheduled to be held on 15th September, 2013 at 18.00 at the your favourite bookstore. The author will be shedding some light on his new work after the success of various e-books. A brief introduction of the book and the author are enclosed herein.
Kindly grace the evening with your presence.
Thanking you,
Yours sincerely,
Rishi Ahuja,
Universal Book World.


So, he finally did it. Akash had told him in the very first meeting on the terrace itself that he wanted to be a writer and write about the hardships of a common man, inspired from his father. But e-books? She never got across even one of them. Suddenly she missed him so much. It’s been after fifteen years that she missed him so much today. She had lost touch with Akash due to the unfortunate events that followed the last day of college. There was no one to blame for. It was just Destiny. But was it Destiny again, conspiring them to meet?
Should I go or should I not? Avni wondered.
“Mom, I am hungry. I want to have something special”, said Riya, coming out of her room rubbing her eyes.
“Ok sweety, how about Thai tonight?”
“Nooooooooo! I want Pasta, that too red sauce”
“ohk, I get your pasta ready, go finish your homework till then”
Avni loved Thai. But to her despair, Riya hated it. Akash hated it too. Thinking she smiled.

They used to fight over the menu deciding what to have. Within few weeks, Akash had become an integral part of
Avni’s group. Their bonding and friendship was beyond words. They fitted together as the last piece in the jigsaw
puzzle. They understood each other like no one else did. A perfect match, anyone would have guessed. A year passed and they neared the end of their graduation. Between the tension of placement and insecurity of the future, they managed to squeeze out time for each other. Most of the times, they would just sit and their silence would say it all.
Their friends would conveniently drop out of the program and they would be left alone.
A trip to Lonavala was the most amazing one she had ever had. She had gone to Mumbai with her team to represent her college at the inter-college Fashion week. She was to return on the day of her birthday. 30th September. Her most special birthday ever! She never felt so special. On the eve of her birthday, her group of friends came along with Akash, to Mumbai to celebrate her birthday. Next morning they left for Lonavala. What a trip it was! She loved bus rides. Two hours relaxing journey after hectic fashion show, it was the best gift she could ask for her birthday. They reached there by 10am. After an hour’s rest they went to explore Lonavala. Later, by the evening, Akash took her to a hill point. View from the hilltop was mesmerising- nature at its best! And in this nature’s lap sat Lonavala’s minimal civilization. It instantly became Avni’s favourite! All worries forgotten! All the fatigue of the day vanished in no time!
They reached there at the perfect time to see the sun going down between the green hills. The scene was beyond the description of words. ‘Wow’ was the only word that escaped their mouth every now and then. They relaxed there for an hour or so when they were to unwillingly return but God answered their wish, to stay there a little longer, in His own way. The moment they got up to leave taking in the beauty around for the last time, it started to drizzle. The unexpected rain only made it even more unforgettable. Now Avni’s happiness knew no bounds! It was beyond ecstasy. There was complete silence and for a moment their gaze locked. At that moment, anyone would have said that they were in love but they said nothing. They never needed words.

“Mom? Why are you crying mumma?” Riya was holding Avni’s hand and pulling her out of her trance. A tear had
rolled down her cheeks without her even realizing.
_____________________________
Sudden mention of Akash had thrown her off-balance today, she thought lying in the bed; trying to get some sleep but still thinking about the memories that had come back so unexpectedly. Fidgeting for an hour, she got up and went near her bookshelf. Scanning through the books she picked out Erich Sehgal’s ‘Love Story’. It had been her favourite but this wasn’t her copy of the book that she currently held in her hand. It was his. She flipped the book’s cover to see his handwriting. It said-
‘I know you have read it countless times but just read it once more…. Just for me’

But destiny hadn’t let her do that. Only if she had just flipped through the pages, she would have seen the words he never said. If only.

It was the second last day of the college. She reached hostel after capturing last of those unforgettable college
moments in her heart. She was holding a gift from Akash in her hands. She had just entered the room when Priya, her roommate, told her that warden has called her. Sensing the grim situation, she left the gift and ran to the warden’s office. Her grandpa had passed away. Due to heavy rainfall and less visibility, he was hit by the car while returning from the nearby grocery store. She was heartbroken. She had to leave for home immediately. Forgetting everything, she left. After a month, she came back to collect all her stuff. It was then when she opened the gift to find Akash’s copy of ‘Love Story’. She turned the cover to see the text in his handwriting and then she straight turned to last page of the book. It was his cursive handwriting again which said-
‘Meet me tomorrow at the college gate tomorrow at 7.’
She understood what Destiny has taken away from her. Now it dawned on her that they had no contact of each
other. There was no information where she could reach out for him. She realized that she left without any
explanation, without meeting him for the last time, and without any future plans. She just sat alone and cried over what she was left with and the hope that they might meet again.

A tear dropped on the page blurring the text ‘just for me’.
She will meet him, she decided. There were still feelings buried deep down her heart. But what if he doesn't . Let Destiny decide this too, she thought, keeping book back to the shelf she went to sleep.
_____________________________
15th September. 5PM.
She stared out of her balcony. It again started to rain.
Rains! It had always been the weapon of Destiny in her life! She thought. She had loved Rain when it brought Akash in her life. She had hated Rain when his Grandpa died. She had cursed Rain when Ritesh pass away. And here it was again Rain, deciding her fate, her Destiny.
She left home. She reached the venue for the event. She had feared that it all would come back one day and so it did today. The person whom she had loved fifteen years ago was right there in front of him. Her first love. Her lost love. And tears rolled down her tears. There he was sitting behind the table with a a set of microphones set up in front of him. A copy of his own book in his hands. He still looked the same only a few years older, but a little smarter with frame-less glasses resting on his nose. He was smiling to everyone but his eyes has lost that glint which used to charm her the most. She could see the sadness in them and wondered what the reason was.
After the event got over, she waited till the end until everyone present there got their books signed by him. He
followed the pattern- smiled at the person, asked for the name, signed the book, smiled again and returned the
book. She stood in the corner watching him and smiling. She was holding the his ‘Love Story’ close to her heart.
After everyone has left with their signed copy of the books, she walked slowly to the table where he was now busy in
talks with the publisher.
“Am I too late to get the book signed?” she asked politely.
Engrossed in his talks, he didn't look up to see the person who spoke but just took the book from her hands. He was perplexed to see this book and not his book. Confused he looked up. Their eyes met. Eyes, full of surprise. Eyes, full of questions. Eyes, full of explanations. Eyes , full of happiness. Eyes, full of memories. Eyes, full of LOVE. And yet again the Eyes said it all, no words needed.

© 2013 nibhz


Author's Note

nibhz
My first attempt at a love story!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

(y) first yet a good one!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

nibhz

10 Years Ago

thank you so much! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

442 Views
1 Review
Added on September 20, 2013
Last Updated on September 20, 2013
Tags: love, words, unsaid

Author

nibhz
nibhz

Bhopal, India



About
I write to Express! Feelings are best described through art, the art that i choose is the art of words! Best custom homepage more..

Writing
Silent Dream Silent Dream

A Poem by nibhz