6 stylish resolutions

6 stylish resolutions

A Story by liker

New Year's Resolutions. Ever kept one?

Towards the end of one year, we think of ways to drastically make over our lives to try to get the most out of the next.

From January 1 through to 7, we rule at life. Drinking our cold-pressed juices and power walking along the beach, saying no to an afternoon ice cream after too much over-indulging in the weeks prior and opting for just a single glass of wine with dinner because, well, we're still on holiday, okay?

But once we're back to the daily grind, those resolutions quickly fall by the wayside as we grapple with long hours, desk snacking and hitting the snooze button three too many times.

So this year, how about forgetting those life-changing resolutions and opting for something a little more simple, but still totally feel-good. Like focusing on making some style-based tweaks to your daily life that you can actually stick to. Call us superficial, but style, fashion and beauty goals are still goals.

And achieving them can be a lot more fun than trying to beat your daily burpee count. Here's how:

RESOLUTION 1: I will choose to be comfortable at all times, without sacrificing style

There's nothing less chic than having to pull your bandage skirt back down to an appropriate level with every second step. Or hobbling up Queen Street in stilettos that just won't stop rubbing the back of your heel.

This year, when getting dressed each day, how about asking yourself "Am I comfortable?"

If you have to think twice about it, get changed. Your choice of footwear can make or break an outfit, and when getting dressed up, shoes are always the cherry on top.

But remember, heels aren't the only form of fancy footwear. This season, it's all about the slide, so embrace this on-trend style that, while low to the ground, can look incredibly smart with the right outfit. Comfy? Tick. Stylish? But of course.

RESOLUTION 2: I will begin to formulate the perfect capsule wardrobe

Sick of always agonising over what to wear? We have the solution - a well-curated capsule wardrobe. That's right, this year, we're all about investing in key pieces to make up the foundation of our wardrobe.

A well-tailored black or navy blazer, a black below-the-knee pencil skirt, a white linen or cotton shirt, black straight leg pants, a long-sleeved striped tee, a pair of white Converse and some simple elegant heels.

Every single one of these pieces can be pared with those bright, patterned, more trend-driven items in your wardrobe with ease - meaning each day you really just need to choose one key piece of clothing, working the rest of your ensemble around it using your capsule wardrobe.

Photo: queenie one shoulder bridesmaid dresses

RESOLUTION 3: I will not become a slave to fashion trends

We're all guilty of it. Buying crop tops because we're seeing them in every store, only to realise we don't own any high-waisted pants (or flat abs for that matter) to go along with them. We spend big bucks to be on trend every season, only to untag ourselves in Facebook photos just six months later out of sheer embarrassment for being seen in public wearing head to toe neoprene.

So how about forgetting about what's 'en vogue' and start wearing things that make you feel like a million bucks instead. Not only will you save money because you'll get more than one season of wear out of it, you'll probably also minimise the likelihood of turning up to a party / wedding / dinner wearing the exact same thing as the person next to you.

RESOLUTION 4: I will resist the urge to impulse buy

Before you shop, do your research. Scour online stores before you hit the mall, save screenshots of patterns, colours and styles to your phone, or create a moodboard of items you love to get you inspired. By consciously choosing the pieces you want to purchase before heading to the shops with your credit card in tow, you'll find you're far less likely to buy things on a whim.

RESOLUTION 5: I will always remember to remove my makeup

Perhaps the most boring of all resolutions, but you're not going to feel amazing in your new threads if your face is resembling a pepperoni pizza. Whether you're arriving home at 3am or having an early night, taking the time to actually remove your mascara is something your future self will thank you for.

Do you work in the city? Think about all the grime from pollution, air-conditioning and running-late-for-a-meeting-sweat that will have accumulated on your skin by 5pm. Do you really want that all over your pillow?

Before hitting the hay, it does pay to double-cleanse - once to remove the aforementioned grime, makeup and anything else sitting on the surface of your skin, and twice to really get down into the pores to make sure your skin is thoroughly clean.

If you're feeling really lazy, keep a packet of facial cleansing wipes on your bedside table.

It's not something you should be doing every night as wipes never work as well as a cleanser, but it's okay from time-to-time.

RESOLUTION 6: I will prolong the life of my clothes by following washing instructions

Cool hand wash only? Pfft. Do not tumbledry? Oops.

How many silk shirts or cotton dresses have you destroyed because you didn't take time to pour some detergent into a bucket and get your hands wet, or pop down to the drycleaners on the corner?

If you're paying good money for your clothing then the least you can do is pay attention to the washing instructions.

If drycleaning is low on your list of priorities, why not team up with a friend and put in a bunch of items together. You might even get a discount!

At the very least, just start separating your whites and colours so you don't have to begin the search for the perfect white shirt again - now that your favourite one is a sweet new shade of salmon. And remember, a little time set aside each weekend for some hand washing is time well spent - in the end, anyway.

Also Read: bridesmaid dresses online

© 2015 liker


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on January 16, 2015
Last Updated on January 16, 2015