Scared to be Lonely (An Excerpt from 'The Diary of Jane')

Scared to be Lonely (An Excerpt from 'The Diary of Jane')

A Story by LVL8

    I dragged myself up the mahogany stairs with Abby following close behind, heels in hand. The wood beneath us creaked in protest with every lead-filled step we took. The adrenaline was beginning to leave my system, making everything feel a thousand times heavier. That stuff could give you a serious high, but the aftermath was always a pain in the a*s. 

I stumbled over to the porch swing, nearly tripping over myself before sitting down. Abby slumped down beside me and let out a long sigh. Strands of her dark blonde hair stuck out every-which-way from the bun she had put it into at the beginning of the night. Her makeup had endured a football game, a crowded school dance, and a wild after party; yet in the early morning twilight, it looked as if she had only just put it on. I could still smell the remnants of her perfume as she laid her head on my shoulder.

The swing squeaked softly as we gently rocked back and forth. We sat without speaking, watching as an assortment of yellow and orange leaves were carried away by a light breeze down the street. I could feel my eyelids gradually becoming heavier with every movement of the swing. 

“Tonight was fun,” she said, breaking the silence after what felt like an eternity. 

“Yeah...yeah it was.” 

“I’ve been doing my own thing for so long, I forgot what it was like…” Her voice trailed off, but I knew what she meant. 

It's wasn't until I found myself sitting next to this wonderful human being, not wanting to leave her side, that I realized just how scared I was of being alone.

“Please don't go,” she whispered.

“Don't worry, I didn't plan on it.”

© 2019 LVL8


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very good. I'm impressed, in fact. It's a lovely short tale, written with the natural skill of a storyteller.

Posted 4 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 12, 2019
Last Updated on December 13, 2019
Tags: Late, Night, Excerpt, Teen

Author

LVL8
LVL8

Nordhorn, Niedersachsen, Germany



About
INFORMATION BUSINESS CONSULTANT. Website: lvl8.gg more..

Writing
Sleepless Night Sleepless Night

A Story by LVL8


Time Goes On Time Goes On

A Poem by LVL8