This war is on!

This war is on!

A Chapter by Dominus Draven

Author's note: This was intended to be part of chapter II, but I figured the entire game setting should deserve its chapter. I may have overextended it a bit, so take your time! Also, I added a few rulles of my own, jus tot make this fic that more interesting, because even this early in the story, we can all agree my Yukiteru woun't even break a sweat with his oponents.

-Proofreading added, have fun!



Chapter III


There are some things in life, people by their own power cannot possibly change. And at the same time, there are some things people can change to their own will. While this is generally true, there will always be exceptions, as it is for any rule. What most people are not aware of, is that on this Earth, on this realm and reality anything is possible. As an old saying teaches us 'Only a few find the way. Some don't recognize when they do, some don't ever want to.'' And it applies even here most characters did not knew they had the power to change their future, while others, refused to believe it. Something similar happened to Yukiteru quite recently.


After the eventful day of staying alive, eliminating a criminal through some rather ''mystical'' means, and bounding on some level with my current stalker, I decided at least 10 hours of sleep would be enough to recharge my life force, and help me meditate on the events above. I was lying on my bed, trying to shut down my mind and get some needed rest, but of course faith, or rather that one deity who controls it, found it amusing to drag me into his world. The word annoyed didn't even begin to cover my emotions.


''Deus, since you're al knowing and all, how could I permanently erase you from my imagination''


I saw the clouds warped in a certain spot, the broken semi-sphere that Deus always rested in. While meeting my question with an amused look, he replied with a matching voice.'' And a good evening yourself, my dear Yukieteru. Why so serious all of a sudden, I thought you would first in line waiting for the formal presentation of this game.''


Well, this might actually turn out to be interesting.'' Very well then, Deus, do procede with your speech, I'm listening.''


Deus, stoped all his current activities, and offered me his full interest.'' As you already know, you are not the only competitor in this game, this is why, I intend to present the rules one time for all of you.''


Think I managed to add a bit more interest to my voice'' Well the, I'm listening, intently.''

The moment I finished my remark, I was shifted, on what appeared to be a wide platform, supported by a column, as you would see in greek architecture. Deus was located in his normal position, being surrounded by twelve such structures, each supporting one more peculiar than the other character. Barely had I had time to finish my analysis, as I was overwhelmed with remarks from all the participants.


''Oho, look who joined the party''

''So, you're the First they told me about, huh?''

''Word gets around, They say you had your fun with that serial killer.''


Impressive, so they are all diary owners, 12 to be precise, although seems like one is missing, must be Mr. Hiyama from the other day. Let's see all their silhouettes are hidden in shadows most likely to prevent me from recognizing them, mostly all of them seem unfamiliar to me except for, the one standing next to me, which is clearly Yuno, and it would seem like…who would've guessed.


''So he's here to, huh?'' I murmured to myself. Deus took the word again.

''Now then, as everyone has gathered, allow me to explain about this survival game, once more''

First let me explain this to you once more. That diary in your hand is called the future diary. Originally, you had a normal diary. I bended the time on your phone and now you can see up to 90 days of your future. As of now you can foresee the future, to a certain extent.


''May I ask a question'' someone raised his hand. ''What is it, Tenth?'' ''

"I have seen the contents of the phone changing by itself on several occasions. What is the meaning of this?''


''The future changes, depending on the actions of the owners.'' Up above a green wide arrow floated in the air, a small stick figure was walking in the direction of the arrow, "For example, you didn't use the diary, and you were walking down the street. You stumbled on a rock and scrapped your knee. When you do use it, you avoided the rock and become unscratched. In other words you have changed the future. The diary will simply follow the New Future and change."


An important aspect had to be explained here. I raised my hand accordingly and said '' One moment Deus. My entries changed without me doing anything. It prophesied my death by Third.''


''You are not the only one who can change the future. That's why it is called a survival game. When a diary owner is confirmed to have killed another, the sentence of death will be passed down. That is the notice of Dead End. ''


''You're telling us to kill, but we don't even know what the other look like'' a young girl's voice remarked. It was definitely hard to match the voice with the person, due to the simple fact that I couldn't see their faces.


''You will have to find them using your own diary.'' Deus replied.

''The game starts when we identified the other players, huh?'' a smurf looking character asked.

''If your identity's known, you'll be killed.'' Replied a tall figure wearing what appeared to be a business suit. After which Deus commented.

''When you receive a dead end entry that will be on the top of your future diary and nothing else after it. Of course, if the possibility of your survival arises, other entries will be written accordingly, it all depends on your future self will react, and most importantly how you will react at that particular situation. Remember that any diary owner can change your future, as you can change theirs, it all depends on who makes the first and final move.''


''Find their identities and set Dead End flags. If someone sets the flag on you, avoid it by any means necessary, or confront it at your own risk. That's the essence of this survival game.''


''First'' and with these words, that being moved its immense form to get on my eye level, his scheletic features, were dangerously close to my face, I had to back up a little.'' You were supposed to die back there. Yet you turned the tables and killed him instead. A highly skilled and most deadly criminal, who was well prepared for everything, lost to a simple teenager. That is a miracle among miracles. First might just be the winner who kills all others.'' And fortunately he backed away to his original position.'' I think you are the favorite to win right now'' and with that all the competitors sighed in awe.


D****t, this is not going well, at this rate, everyone will be well aware of my full abilities. As it turned out to, this game anything but ordinary. Killed or be killed. In other words, a full scale war, fought on all possible levels. And by a disturbing turn of events, I happen to be highly skilled in this kind of war, simply because any war is no more than a chess match in real life. Now the first rule about war that I learned from an author Sun Tzu , was '' Pretend to be weak when you're strong, making the enemy underestimate you.'' And Deus felt the need to praise my skills just now, I must turn this situation somehow, I can't let them see me for who I truly am, I must make them severely underestimate me somwhow!


Hopefully those drama classes will be of some use. ''Wait Deus, what are you saying! I survived just by meer luck. He was killed because someone saved me just in time! Don't praise me because of what someone else did, I didn't do anything, if it was only me, I would surely be killed! Please, I don't want to kill anyone in this game, I just want to live as a normal teenager, I just want to live, Deus!'' I even managed to fake a desperate look in my eyes.


The imposing God, stared at me with what I deduced was surprise, and for this one instance he didn't messed up all my tactic.'' As you wish then, First, I never figured you for such a scared little boy.'' And what an excellent ending, he even laughed mockingly at my little speech.

The others, were apparently gazing at me with the same attitude, and couldn't help to throw in a few sarcastic remarks.


''Oh, poor little boy, don't worry, I'll personally kill you before any one of these mean guys lay a hand on your precious life.''

''Pathetic, and I was hoping you would prove some challenge…''

'' So it was all an accident, Oh that is so lame'' and with that a symphony of laughter could be heard, along with other petty insults.


I managed to ignore all of them, all these tauntings gave me enough time for an actual strategy. Even if I couldn't see their faces, I could see their silhouettes quite clear, their clothing, their pattern in movement, and their mesurements. I took some precious seconds to memorize everything I saw, and with the help of some basic associations and name tag such as �"smurf with funny voice, girl with extravagant ball dress, alpha male with ridiculous hairdo,- and other such. Bottom line is that I got a clear glimpse of how they will look like in reality, therefore whenever I see such person matching my memories, I will immediately know the enemy, maybe even before realized this himself.


Come to think of it, I would write these kind of details in my diary, so it would be safe to assume that… And I got a glance on my most recent entries, as expected, what I memorized was already on the phone. How annoyingly convenient, this phone takes all the challenge away…


Whether Deus has the power to read mind or not, I noticed a mischievous grin on his features, and once again he took the word to speak his mind. I'll be honest, at that moment I panicked a little.

He can't seriously be thinking to tell everyone all my thought process, no, no way! Not even Deus would be so unfair, it would mean to ensure his ''favorite's'' certain death. Please don't let it be…''


''There has been a minor change in the game. As recent events demanded.'' Everyone ended their little fun and gave Deus all the attention.'' One of the competitors, may have already discovered all your identities, and so to ensure this competition won't end to predictably, I will add a third contestant in this game. His name will be….Zero'' At that precise moment, everyone became slightly paranoid, throwing suspicious death glares….at basically everyone else. Deus didn't betrayed me, I barely suppressed an enormous sigh of pure relief.


And would you look at that, everyone's suspecting all other competitors, except, ME. They still believe I'm that scared little boy whose more determined to stay alive than win this game. Got one word for this, Magnificent! This time it took all my conscious power to quench a half maniacal victory laugh.

Again, Deus ignored everyone continuing his idea.


'' This new competitor will be quite different from any one of you. Meaning, he alone will be able to win this game not even using his full potential. I will not reveal more but this- Fear not, the new contestant will be given a diary, halfway into the game, to ensure that all the weaklings have been eliminated, leaving only the elites. Of course, if you play your game smart, anyone of those particular elites will be able to win the competition, it will all be decided by who has the greater mind to out-level others, and the greater will to do so.'' After which everyone became silent.


Apparently Deus spoke the next words with a bit more passion, standing up and raising his hands as to expose this wonderful event.'' As for the winner, the last man standing will be the successor to my throne as God-ruler of time and space. Live or die. There are eleven of you left. Kill before you are killed. And win the throne of God!'' surprisingly enough, each and every one of them, had the guts to throw one final taunt to all their opponents. Again, I thought it would be of some use to keep in mind all their words, as followed:


''It seems the greatest obstacle is…worth winning.''

''Zero, huh?''

''Farewell then, everyone.''

''Hey First! I hope you're not dead by the time I get to you.''

''Goodbye, good luck to everyone….you'll need it''

'' Oh frightened little First, I can see your fear!''

'' The potential to win the game by himself huh…this character is quite troublesome''

'' Hey, First, worry not, I will protect you.''

'''Aww poor thing.''


Disturbing I know, even with this new competitor, it seem I'm sill their preferred target. Most likely �"kill the weak one, and let the real challenge begin- or something in those lines. In the end, Deus concluded.


''This meeting is adjourned'' and even he disappeared, leaving me standing what I first assumed to be alone, in an imaginary glass arena with circular stained glass where I pictured all the most grandios acts that defined our history-From the temptation of the forbidden apple and historical epic battles, which were mostly won by the better strategy, to crucial historic figures that dictated history by their own liking. I used to retreat here and mediate in solitude, not sure why though, but I find all these portrayed events quite soothing.


After a moment of thinking I was the only one there,heard someone from behind me, speaking in caring, yet oddly seductive voice.'' Don't worry Yuki. I will protect you.'' I turned around facing her, and was a bit startled by her pose. She was leaning her head to a side, hands pressed on her cheeks, and her eyes, well those were honestly the eyes of someone infatuated as if looking at her most cherished possession. She finished her phrase ''Alright…Yuki?''


I closed my eyes and had to lower my head a bit to contain my amused chuckle. Well, seems even this girl was somehow fooled by my little act. No matter, think I'll let her believe whatever she wants for now, way easier than to explain my whole logic behind that act. Although she's earned my trust and gratitude, she still remains a stalker , and possibly overprotective and a close to disturbing infatuated stalker. What more of an ally could I possibly wish for? I raised my head and caught her eyes for a moment, while I replied with what I assumed to be a reassuring and slightly ironic tune and wide smile to match my remark.


''Is that a promise, my dear stalker?'


A response, I wasn't able to be hear, as I suddenly woke up, as if all the events were nothing more than my own imagination. I glanced at the phone I was still holding, grinning with confidence. ''Well, it would seem my phone noted every single detail of my little encounter, how lovely.'' Placed the item on my bedside, and slided both my arms under my head while facing he celling.


''Alright, Deus, I'll play your little game, using my Own methods. It would ruin to fun to actually kill the competitors in cold blood, sadly I don't work that way. Anyhow Deus, I'm practically burning with expectations from my soon to be Nemesis,Zero. And come to think of it, at the present moment, I'm destined to be killed by someone simply by not doing anything. Well, allow me to dissapoint you Deus, I will change this future, the future will change as I want it to, because I will make my own future! And if you're actually listening Deus, I got one last comment to finish with.-This war is on Deus. Do you hear me?-This war is on and it will be mine!


At the most random moment in my little declaration of war, my phone started buzzing, alerting me on a text message. It's from…Yuno? How did she get my number…no matter, let's see. And I read.-That's the spirit Yuki! Keep fighting, and I will always fight along with you.P.S. Love you, nighty night!- and that was all.


 I had to blankly stare at the message for a few moments, some questioned bothered me regarding, how when and why, but I decided to ignore them and get a peaceful rest. Little did I know that evening, this was not the only message scheduled for this night, this girl was in for a chat mode and the phone kept buzzing,I turned it off, along with any telephone in the house. In the end, due to all the events that occoured in just a few hours, I managed to give it one hell of a laughter, cause it sure deserved one, until I finally caught the last train to dreamland.


''Very interesting indeed, with you here this game might just provide some actual entertainment...I choose you well as First, Amano Yukiteru!'' an ominous voice echoed through my room.



© 2013 Dominus Draven


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

74 Views
Added on May 3, 2013
Last Updated on May 3, 2013


Author

Dominus Draven
Dominus Draven

About
I value knowledge, logic, and deceit. I love to pursue wisdom, but also to manipulate and deceive. At my best, I am brilliant and progressive. At my worst, I am treacherous and cold. Usually I am very.. more..

Writing