Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Cane Moon
"

The backstory of Alex

"

When I sleep, the dreams strangle me as they force the visions of the past. Tonight, was a recurring dream; the day my world went up in flames. The once peaceful night of stargazing became a melody of screams and gunshots. Smoke blocked out the sky and fires engulfed the homes of my neighbors and friends.

Dad carried me and we ran with the others as bullets whizzed past us. He tried to shield my face, but the glimpses of twisted bodies in the crops burned into my mind. Buildings collapsed, forcing people out to the waiting bandits who killed them. Our home, the dream my parents had was gone, and I watched as the promise of a new life disintegrated into ashes.


The bandits roared with pride at their victory. A tall figure illuminated in the hellfire smiled and pointed in our direction. Like rabid dogs, they broke into a frenzy. I knew they were coming for us, but I watched frozen with fear.

Breaking from the group, the dirt greeted us. We tumbled and dad began coughing. A warmth spread over me as his grip loosened. It's hard to see, but his finger pressed against my lips. Footsteps stormed past us as their guns barked with fury. The tiny explosions lit up the darkness enough for me to see something was wrong.


Dad's finger fell, leaving wetness on my face. He struggled to form words, instead, spewing staggered breaths. A pool of liquid stretched out to me as I pulled on his sticky jacket, but his massive frame refused to move.


"Not like this," he mumbled. "I didn't want this for you."


"Get up," I demanded as I tugged on his jacket.


My legs slipped in the puddle. My hands, cold and wet, began shaking. My body felt weak, my eyes burned. Hopelessness consumed me.


His chest rose as he gasped, "I'm sorry." His chest fell and remained.


Tears rolled down his broken eyes as the firelight grew. I could see the concern and despair trapped on his face, and I began to cry.


My hands grew heavy as they picked up the blood-soaked gun. Sniffing, I wiped my eyes as my legs carried me away. I didn't know where I was, but I never looked back. Faster and faster, my legs took me as I stumbled and struggled to breathe.

The cold air pushed against me as the cheers and screaming began to fade away. Darkness embraced as I headed toward lights in the distance.


"Remember the plan? What's the plan?" Dad had asked.


"Find Three Springs, find Leo, and give him the bag," I replied.


"That's right, those lights are the town. Keep moving,"


Exhausted, my legs continued to carry me. I didn't know how long it would take, but I couldn't stop moving. The lights got closer and closer, revealing a large junk made gate. The gate creaked open, and a group of people approached. Dozens of voices asked questions, but I was so tired. The only word I could form was" Leo."


A broad man appeared in black leather; he recognized the gun I was carrying. His face filled with sorrow as he picked me up. All I could do was cry. I cried and screamed as the shocked onlookers began fading away, and the town gates slammed shut.



© 2020 Cane Moon


Author's Note

Cane Moon
any comments or suggestions are welcome!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

20 Views
Added on January 19, 2020
Last Updated on February 1, 2020
Tags: post apocalyptic, dystopian


Author

Cane Moon
Cane Moon

san Antonio, TX



About
Born and raised Texan, full time dog groomer, and novice writer. I'm learning as I go and trying to get the hang as I read and practice. Not much else to me except my love of philosophy and puzzles. more..

Writing
Words Words

A Poem by Cane Moon


Chapter 1: Alex Chapter 1: Alex

A Chapter by Cane Moon