Arrival

Arrival

A Chapter by noellejoi

Natalie wasn’t all that fond of flying. She didn’t like the stress of getting to the right gate, the pressure in her ears as they took off and landed; the tiny little seats, and having to share an armrest with a stranger. And of course, there was the overwhelming possibility that at any moment weather or human error could cause the plane to come crashing to the ground, sending her to her death. When she had the option, she chose to drive. But driving from New York to Lake Geneva, Wisconsin simply wasn’t an option for Natalie. The unpredictable weather of February just wouldn’t allow it. Her schedule wouldn’t allow it. And she would rather risk a plane crash than be next to Eric Grant in his little sedan for fourteen hours.

Natalie stole a glance at Eric, who was chatting with the older woman seated next to him across the aisle. He laughed one of his loud laughs with her about something. The woman next to her put down her crossword puzzle and joined in on the conversation. His dark brown hair fell into his charcoal colored eyes. It wasn’t like Eric wasn’t fun to be around. He was normally the life of party, and a bit of an attention hog. And he was certainly attractive, with his tall, not too thin, not too bulky figure and his dark skin. Just from a glance you could tell he was Italian. Natalie’s parents would love him for that, if they ever met. He was always kind to her, always sweet, always caring for her needs, even when she did turn him down for a date-multiple times. She could tell that he was gloating a bit after she asked him to go back home to attend her best friend’s wedding, even though she made it clear to him that they were nothing more than friends. She could tell that he felt like he had finally gotten his foot in the door with her. Even though that wasn’t true, she let him blissfully believe it was.

She supposed she wouldn’t mind if they danced though, it would be nice to have someone to dance with at the wedding. She certainly couldn’t dance with Adam, Dale’s best man. It would be awkward enough having to walk with him down the aisle, especially with Courtney there. Natalie sighed and gazed out the plane window. It was almost time to land. She watched the houses and the snow covered fields get closer and closer. The sun was setting but there was a lack of vibrant colors in the sky, which was a shame, because watching the sunset from a plane was her only thing to look forward to on the ride. Maybe even the only thing to look forward to on the trip. Natalie inwardly smacked herself for thinking that. It would be good to get away from New York. It would be so good to see her best friend Audrey, whom she hadn’t seen in over a year when she and Dale came to New York for a visit.

The plane landed. Eric let the two ladies out first and then walked off with Natalie, grabbing her smaller suitcase along with his.

“So where are we meeting Audrey, by the baggage claim?”

“No, I didn’t check a bag. She’s meeting us right outside of security,” Natalie replied as they walked past the waving and thankful flight attendants welcoming them to the Milwaukee airport, probably secretly wondering what on earth they were doing going to WI, the land of cows and cheese.

“You only brought this?” Eric lifted up her small red suitcase. “I think mine’s heavier than yours.”

Natalie shrugged, “We’re only going to be in Wisconsin for four days.”

“Don’t tell me you’re using this trip to feed your shopping addiction!” Eric scolded.

Natalie thought about denying his accusation but relented, “So what if I am? I’m going to need something to do. And I don’t really need to buy a whole lot, just something for the rehearsal dinner and maybe one more outfit for the day before. Plus, you seem to be forgetting that my parents’ still have a house in Lake Geneva. So a lot of stuff I didn’t even need to pack. Like a curling iron and pajamas.”

Eric shook his head but said nothing, knowing that whenever Natalie was upset about something she wore out her credit card.

“So, have you ever been to Wisconsin, Eric?” Natalie asked suddenly having an overwhelming urge to change the subject.

“I’ve only been once, but it was way up north by Lake Superior.. My great aunt Nora died when I was 12.”

“Well, be prepared.” Natalie warned as they moved onto the moving walkway.

“Ok, how?”

“Well,” Natalie finally looked at Eric instead of keeping her eyes straight ahead on to security, “The cold.”

“It’s cold in New York,” Eric offered.

                “It’s a different kind of cold up there. Also, there’s really not much around Lake Geneva. The target is considered a hot spot for the ones that don’t drink.”
                “Don’t say that like you don’t drink either,” Eric laughed.
                “I’m not. I’m just saying that there’s not much to see, and not much to do.”
                “We’re going to be doing wedding things, Nat.”
                “I, am going to be doing wedding things, Eric,” Natalie corrected. “I’m not going to be with you every single second of the day. I have dress fittings and hair appointments and pedicures and all sorts of things that you won’t want to attend.”
                Eric stared at Natalie for a minute, noticing how stressed she really was about being home. In his mind it was a great opportunity to get closer to the girl he was falling for every day and more importantly, make her fall for him. But he realized just by looking at those furrowed eyebrows of hers that this was not a trip that she was planning on enjoying, she wanted to be back in New York as soon as possible.
                “Ok, Nattie, don’t worry about me, I will find a way to entertain myself,” He slid his arm over her shoulders and gave her a side a hug as they walked past security. Natalie looked around for Audrey but didn’t see her. When they got by a bench, she moved closer into him and was in his arms, smelling his cologne, before she could even think about it. She didn’t want to lead him on; she didn’t want to give him any signs that she felt the same way about him that he felt about her. But in the moment, it felt really good to be held. His arms were strong, and comforting. And for a moment she wondered what it would be like to be in his arms any time she wished.
                “Natalie.”
                The thought left as quickly as it came when she heard that deep familiar voice say her name. Natalie released Eric and she was sure that her heart stopped. He was exactly the same as he had been three years ago when they unknowingly said goodbye for awhile. His light brown hair was longer and curly. He towered over her, making her sure that he had gotten taller. The only thing that was different about him, was that he traded his athletic shorts and t-shirts for nice black pants and a light green button up shirt, the kind she always tried to get him to wear because she insisted they brought out the sparkle in his emerald green eyes.
                It took Natalie a minute to catch her breath and snap out of it, “Adam, what are you doing here?”
                Adam chuckled, “Well, hello to you too, Natalie.”
                “I’m sorry, I-I just thought that Audrey was picking us up,” Natalie said, making a note to herself to kill Audrey later for not telling her about the switch.
                “She had to have a sudden emergency dress fitting for whatever reason,” Adam rolled his eyes.
                “Oh, I see,” Natalie nodded. She couldn’t keep her eyes off of him, as she knew it would inevitably happen.
                Adam cleared his throat and his eyes were on Eric, “And this is?”
                Natalie ripped her eyes off Adam and snapped back into reality, “Oh, I’m sorry. How rude of me!”
                “Eric Grant, Nat’s friend and colleague,” Eric shook Adam’s  hand with a firm grip.
                “Oh, so you’re in the musical?”
                “I’m a producer. Although I met Nattie in school years ago.”
                “I see, I see,” Adam replied. “Well, we should probably get going. There’s a snowstorm coming our way. I’d like to beat it home. Don’t you have any other bags Natalie?”     
                Natalie groaned and rolled her eyes. Eric couldn’t help but chuckle.
                “What? You’re not planning on wearing out your credit card, are you?”
                Natalie heaved a huge sigh and rolled her eyes.

“I know you so well,” Adam smile and ruffled her dark locks.

Natalie didn’t say anything, she couldn’t. Her head was warm and tingly where Adam touched her. A sinking feeling overwhelmed her insides. She knew she needed to stay as far away from him as possible. Whenever she was with Adam he effortlessly made her knees buckle and her heart race. All he had to do was look at her and she was weakened.

The three walked out to Adam’s jeep. Eric put the luggage in the back and then opened the passenger door for           Natalie.

“Oh, um, you know what? I’m really tired I was hoping to take a nap in the backseat.”

Eric shrugged. Adam scowled.

“I didn’t get a lot of sleep last night. Don’t worry Adam, Eric will talk the entire way to Lake Geneva. He always does. You’ll be best friends in no time.” Natalie opened the side door before either of the men could beat her to it.

                She heaved a sigh and closed her eyes leaning against the window, hoping that she would actually stay true to her word and fall asleep so she could escape the awkwardness of having Adam and Eric in the front seat.  


© 2011 noellejoi


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

okay, already in love with this story and it's only the prologue! please write more soon! (:

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

176 Views
1 Review
Added on September 21, 2011
Last Updated on September 21, 2011


Author

noellejoi
noellejoi

Valparaiso, IN



Writing
Sad Sad

A Poem by noellejoi


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by noellejoi