Chapter 4 - Long Ride

Chapter 4 - Long Ride

A Chapter by Confused Author
"

Gwen takes her new charge to town for supplies.

"
Gwen Drakin - Spring





She woke in the morning to the sun hitting her bed again. At first everything was fine and Gwen started to stretch under the covers. Then the memory of the green eyed boy snapped her back. Her leg almost had a cramp as her muscles twitched. Like the memory had physically hit her. Carefully she felt for it, his presence was still in the study. He was motionless like he was sleeping on the couch and she let out a sigh. Why did she have to summon a human? Even a kobold, goblin, or a lesser race might be better.


“He wasn’t noble thank goddess,” She thought then felt guilty even thinking it. He was still a teen like her, with family, friends, and a life. Now, he had nothing but life long service to her. He wasn’t a familiar though she knew it. With a wave of rising heat she remembered what it was like swimming in his source. He felt so strong and powerful, equal to her at least even without training. Last night she’d done it again. Fought his will there in the library as he purposely disobeyed her in front of Gretchen. Fear tickled at her guts remembering the needle going for his face. When a wizard died so did the familiar. Would it be true for him as well. If they had killed him yesterday might she have died too?


Thinking of him made her remember his body next. A new wave of warmth ran through her and she pushed it away. He did have pretty eyes but he was no Edward. Strong, handsome, and now with a fire drake at his call. That left her feeling sad all over again. She was untouchable, any hope that Edward would look her way was dashed. That also meant Georgi would be equally disgusted. His family was almost as old as Edwards and it would be political suicide to wed her. It was a tiny silver lining to the storm cloud over her.


Slipping from bed Gwen went into the bathroom and washed. The hot water was welcoming in springs cool air. She dressed quickly and sat down to think as she brushed out her hair. Havel had fooled her completely into thinking him stupid. Not just her, everyone even the teachers thought him a savage from another continent. His will was impossibly strong and he was intelligent. As soon as they were alone she’d seen those green eyes change. When he talked his words sounded like nonsense but she’d understood him completely. He’d been right about his situation as well. The thought of waking up naked before fifty boys and girls made her blush with shame. She knew she’d have submitted to the man who summoned her. Gwen would have been too embarrassed to mount a reasonable mental defense. Even facing the wands of the teachers he’d kept his head enough to lie. He’d also been correct that nobody trusted him, not even her. She could say all she wanted that he was forced to obey her but that hadn’t stopped Gwen from locking the study door. Everything was so bloody complicated now.


“I wished you’d sent me a demon instead.” She pouted aloud putting the brush back on the armoire. His presence moved in the study and he walked to the wall. Maybe he was looking out of the window again. Last night she’d watched him stand in that place for two hours. Then she’d heard his soft crying and her heart had gone out to him. She mentally shook herself at the memory.

“You’ll not get emotional over the boy,” Gwen berated herself. It would be improper for a noble if she got attached. In public she’d have to treat him like a familiar, more like a servant. She giggled a little thinking about him washing dishes and cooking the meals. Getting up she left the bedroom to her foyer. Her Study was connected to this room and she unlocked the door with a flick of the wand. By now she barely noticed the magical effect as she pushed open the door.


The window was open and she was right that he was standing at it. His hands were on the sill as he leaned out. Havel was shirtless and she saw the dip of his spine. His scapula’s stood out a little with the sweep of his shoulders. She could see the back muscles of a boy who worked hard. Havel turned with a smile on his lips not the slightest abashed. His green eyes looked excited and those white teeth of his gleamed. Her eyes dropped fractionally to his bare chest. Heat flooded to her cheeks once again and she slammed the door as she backed out.


“Why don’t you have clothes on?!” She called through the wood. There was a pause as she heard a small laugh. It sounded like he was amused at her antics.


“I spent two months training my little sister to knock.” He said loudly from his place in the room. The statement made guilt run through her all over again. A confirmation he really did have family that would miss him.


“I’m decent.” He said next and she pushed open the door gingerly this time. He was standing by the window again looking out. Havel was searching for something in the sky.


“There was a dragon with a big deer in his claws. He was cooking it as he carried the game along.” Havel said looking excited. Gwen’s blood cooled seeing his boyish exuberance.


“Dragons have been extinct for a millenia, that was a fire drake.” Gwen said coming into the room a little ways more. Her earlier shock made her suddenly skittish near him.


“I’ve heard stories about such creatures.” He said back but his eyes were still scanning the forest to the north. For a minute more he watched but didn’t spot anything of interest. The boy turned to her then with a mischievous smile.


“Sorry for scaring you just now.” He said but his tone didn’t sound very apologetic at all.


“Its fine, I’m not sure how this is going to work. Its just improper to show so much to anyone but your betrothed.” It was true she suddenly realized. Her suite of rooms only contained her foyer, a study, and her bedroom and bathroom. There was the side closet but it was tiny. No, they’d never let a boy stay in the girls dormitories. He wasn’t a mage and certainly not enrolled so he couldn’t stay with the boys. They might eat him alive or worse. The sudden though of what Georgi might try made her shudder.


“Well I’m ready for a bath and some breakfast.” He said next and her face heated again. The bathroom was through her bedroom, past her bed, with the sun warmed mattress. No no, that can never happen. Impossible, absolutely not, she’d just have to grab a page.


“Have I offended you?” He asked when she didn’t answer right away. She was still trying to control her thoughts. “Damn him,” she thought hotly. Seeing him shirtless was putting things in her head.


“I’ll have to take you down to the servants floor.” She said after another second and he nodded. Gwen had to remember she was now totally responsible for him. Anything he needed she was bound to supply. She let her eyes glance at his tunic covered chest. It was less than servant dress, something for working out on a farm. Her eyes went further and she noticed he still wasn’t wearing shoes. No, he looked like a dirty street urchin right now.


His head tilted a little and she turned away from him. This was going to be another trying day just knew it. Gwen Drakin and her beggar familiar left her suite to the girls common room. How quickly her feeling of sudden dread would come to pass. Five girls were there in large room including Vera and Marin. Sadly Wendi wasn’t there and Gwen felt sad for the other girl. She’d been expelled instantly for losing her familiar. If she hadn’t done that maybe her own summoning may have gone differently. They couldn’t expel her though, not yet. Every eye turned their way as she came out.


“Oh morn to you Gwen,” Marin said slyly.


“Morning,” Gwen said back already chocking on the coming conversation.


“I hope you had a pleasant evening last night.” One of the girls said sweetly.


“Oh yes, did you are your familiar get a chance to… bond.” Vera asked back to her usual ways. Gwen’s face flushed a little at the insult. If her supposed friends were already taking jabs she could only wonder what Ashley was saying.


“You know as well as I that Gretchen was there the whole time.” She said trying to throw up a defense.


“Oh we saw her leave last night for some time.” Vera said mockingly.


“Thats because nobody bothered to feed him after he was locked in the supply room.”


“Oh I bet he got plenty to eat then.” Another girl chipped in and giggles were had. She absolutely would not look at the boy behind her. Havel seemed to catch what was going on and remained silent. She had to go on the attack.


“I trust my friends won’t try and spread unfounded rumors about me.” Gwen said hotly and the room went quiet at the frontal assault.


“I’ve had an unusual Summoning, thats all.”


“We’ve heard he’s a savage from the south.” Marin said sweetly and was openly staring at the blond teen. They were all 14 or 15 and dressed similar in dark robes and cloak.


“He’s from across the sea,” She admitted and the girls tittered again.


“Can he understand us?” On suddenly asked a little nervous.


“No, he can only understand me when we talk. The telepathic link is between familiar and mage.”


“Make him do something for us.”


“No.”


“Come on Gwen.”


“It’s breakfast time and I need to get the day started.” She said turning. Gwen was being rude she knew but they were going too far.


“Follow me.” She ordered without turning and made for the stairs down.


“See he is so well trained, I bet he has some very useful skills.” Gwen heard as she fled downward. Her face was beat red and her fists shook a little with anger. Tittering once again followed her. She purposely passed through some seldom used corridors to reach the servants quarter. It didn’t take her long to catch a page running by with sheets.


“You boy,” She called and he skidded to a stop.


“Yes M’lady?” He said eying the ill dressed teen following behind.


“Where is the male’s servant bath?” She said without any explanation.


“M’Lady?” The boy asked once more and she let out an angry sigh. Was this going to happen every time?


“Now boy!” She shouted at him and he jumped.


“This way,” he said in his high childish tin and dashed back with bedsheets in hand. They didn’t have to go more than a few corridors before the child stopped. Knocking he was satisfied nobody was using it just then and pushed the door open. Without the magical items in her own suite it was primitive in her mind. Still the castle had been enchanted long ago with the needs of non-mages in mind.


“Do you need anything else ma’am?” The boy asked looking ready to flee this strange situation.


“You can go,” Gwen said dismissing him. She didn’t want to even step inside from embarrassment.


“I’ll be waiting in the Dining Hall when your done.” She said before fleeing herself down the corridor. For Havel’s part he hadn’t spoken since leaving her quarters. True to his word he was wearing that dim looking face. Gwen was about to die from shame even as the morning just started. Suddenly she wanted to drop the teen off in a random village nearby and ride home. At her fast walking pace she made it to breakfast in record time. The Hall was packed this morning. The students were loading up before heading off on the free day. It was supposed to be another bonding day but people often had to secure items for their charge. Like her that meant a trip into town. The castle was unique in that it did not protect people or a valued location. The closest market was a 4 hour ride or 5 hour carriage trip.


As Gwen came in people noticed her and talk died down. Eyes flicked in her direction and whispered words could barely be heard. She and Wendi were obviously the talk today. She found some bread rolls and cheese before sitting at the girls table.


“So where’s your familiar?” Ashley said from three chairs down. She had a slice of ham and some eggs on her plate.


“Where’s yours?” Gwen asked in reply.


“Urial is out hunting.” The girl said smugly. Gwen had to force herself to remember what the girl had managed to summon.


“The Blood Hawk?” She asked and the girl nodded proudly before looking back.


“So?”


“Bathing.” She said seeing no reason to lie.


“The savage washes? Did you have to order him to do it?” Another said and Gwen went red. The insults to Havel were totally uncalled for.


“If your unable to keep a civil tongue then I see no reason to continue this conversation.” She shot back getting annoyed.


“You don’t have to be rude, Gwen.”


“Then you’ll speak to me like you can manage reasonable thoughts.” She said still angry with the dialog. They just continued to push though.


“Fine, be like that.”


“I shall.”


She bit at her breakfast but her emotions kept her from enjoying the meal. Vera, Marin and a few other girls came in then and sat down near her. Each had found some muffins and smeared them with winterberry preserves.


“Did you see Wendi leave last night?” Marin asked.


“No, I didn’t get a chance to say good bye.” Gwen admitted before taking another bite. She was willing to look at her friends now that they weren’t teasing.


“I heard the teachers failed to find the wolf.”


“Thats terrible, do you think Wendi will be alright?”


“Lets hope some hunter finds it before the Dire Wolf finds her.”


“Why?”


“Don’t you know? Its a rumor that a summoned creature that breaks out has a compulsive need to kill the mage.” Vera said and gave a small grimace. The statement sent a shiver up Gwen’s spine. She’d most certainly failed to actually bind Havel. Would he turn on her? In some induced magical need to destroy the one who brought him here. He’d already proven he could lie well and disobey her. She closed her eyes momentarily and felt for him. He was still in the servants quarter not moving. He was still bathing.


“So you did talk to him?” Marin asked Gwen suddenly.


“Yes, while Gretchin was there.” She said reminding them again they were not alone.


“Well?”


“Mostly we talked about where he came from.” She said in reply but the other girls continued to listen silently. One made a continue gesture.


“He came from another continent. Havel said his people settled there from across a sea. There’s more than just Airlin Kingdom in this world.”


“Nobody has managed to cross the oceans because of the sea monsters.” Vera said like it should be obvious. The boy was lying of course. To this Gwen could only shrug his shoulders.


“I believe him,” She said after a few seconds.


“What else?” Marin asked.


“Not much, Gretchen was being such a overbearing hen it clammed up any chance to talk. I only got that much when she left for food.” Speaking of him she closed her eyes and checked again. He was moving this way and she wanted to head him off. No way did she want the general populace to see him like that. She’d already decided to head into town with him. She coughed lightly into her fist before pushing the chair back.


“If you’ll excuse me I need to go get him.” She said and the girls tittered a little. Just barely she kept from blushing again. Going to the food table she picked out some rolls, cheese, and another slice of ham. He was getting close and she found him only a hallway down. His hair was wet but pushed back. He’d been forced to put those ugly gray clothes on again. Even washed he looked a sight as she almost ran up to him.


“I'm sorry but we need to get you clothes before I let you out into public.”


“That I can appreciate. Thanks for bringing me food.” Havel said taking the combined cheese and ham roll.




“Its going to take us most of the day to get there and back so we should leave now.” She turned going through some side corridors again before pushing outside. Havel ate as he followed behind. Going out to the stable she found the head boy in charge. He looked ruffled from all the saddling today. Still he smiled as Gwen approached.


“Going into town M’lady?”


“Yes Steph,” she said in reply. Gwen had taken the time to remember his name because he’d be the one to take care of Starlight. Some of the nobles like her kept a horse at Westmage. It was an extra expense to keep her fed and housed here but was paying off this morning.


“I need her saddled.” She said and stood nearby. Havel was looking nervous and his eyes kept glancing at the tall animals inside. Starlight was brought out and the horse whinnied at seeing Gwen. She trotted over and scratched at the speckled black neck of her horse. She was a beautiful black mare born between a warhorse and a courier's stallion. Her neck and sides had spots of white like the night sky. Gwen had been neglecting her too much lately. The stable boy put a well used saddle on as she continued to pet.


She slung up into the saddle with well practiced ease and looked down at Havel. He was inching away from the animal and it was making Starlight nervous.


“Come on.” She said holding out a hand.


“I uhhh, never learned to ride.”


“Your joking? Even a country bumpkin can ride a horse.” Gwen said annoyed with everything going wrong today. Havel glared but did step forward. At least Havel was in some shape and managed to mimic her hopping jump onto the animals back. As Starlight side stepped backwards his arms wrapped around her stomach tightly. The stable boy stared at the two but she turned the horse and headed for the road. After a few second she slapped at his hands.


“Stop it, your scaring Starlight if you clutch like that.”


“I’ll fall.”


“Stop being a baby.” She said fiercely but really his arms and chest pressing against her was so incredibly distracting. Glancing down she saw his legs were shaking too. This was obviously his first time on a horse.


“Goddess help him,” she thought thinking of the 10 hour ride they were about to make. His a*s and thigh’s would likely be bloody by the time they got back. Reaching back she grabbed his leg. It was something she never would have done otherwise. This was also the first time she’d ever shared a saddle. His hands tingled and felt annoyingly comfortable around her waist.


“Don’t tighten your legs so much. Roll with the gate of the animal. If you keep fighting her it will be you who regrets it.” She said back to him and he nodded.


“Its only because so many horses are gone that I didn’t make you take one, but that wouldn’t have worked out. No way a first timer can make it to town. They don’t keep carriages in the castle.”


“Don’t think this is normal, and I'm going to teach you to ride first chance we get.”


Havel didn’t say anything back and it felt like he was trying to focus on his balance. That suited Gwen right now and she was glad he’d taken a bath before this. Things went on like that for another 10 minutes or so. They’d made it a little ways down the road. Not that the large dirt trail should be called that. Gwen followed the hoof prints of at least two dozen other riders going in the same direction.


“Do you mind not holding so tight,” she said finally. Gwen just hoped she could get to town before anyone saw them like this. His grip relaxed quite a bit and she let out a breath. The boy’s touch was electric for some reason and I sent waves of heat through her. Some more time passed before he actually eased back in the saddle.


“This is interesting,” Havel said from behind her. Gwen tended to agree as she loved riding. It let her get away from the castle as an excuse.


“Starlight was a present from my father when I turned 8.”


“Gotta say I prefer my bike.”


“Bike?” Gwen said letting the unfamiliar word touch her mind. Havel thought for a few seconds.


“Its transportation that you ride on. Two wheels front and back with a pair of bars. A gear and chain transfer motion from peddling feet to the rear wheel.” He said and she was lost in the unfamiliar words. Letting go of her waist he raised his fists to made a round and round gesture with them. She’d heard about gears from what the Dwarves worked on. Sadly they didn’t let any of their technology out of their mountain holds.


“Sounds like a waste of energy.” Gwen said thinking of her legs constantly doing circles for 5 hours.


“Depends on the gear size. On a flat road you can keep up with this no trouble. The advanced bikes can go as fast as a galloping horse.”


“Your lying.” Gwen scoffed disbelieving anything could be faster than her horse.


“Well you’d not be able to keep it up for more than 30 minutes or so.”


“Is that why you never learned to ride? You had one of these…” Gwen forgot what he’d called it. The word had slipped past her hearing as she was just letting the thoughts in.


“Yes,” He said and his hands came back to her waist. Her heart skipped another beat. They went on like that for another ten minutes or so. She remembered the talk about the Dire Wolf and the compulsion to kill. This was the perfect chance for him really, all alone on this road. It sent a momentary spike into her spine and she tried hard not to stiffen. Starlight would notice her sudden tension. Casually she checked her wand in its sleeve. She wasn’t sure she really feared him but men were men everywhere.


“Tell me about yourself.” Havel said from behind her, not noticing her sudden mood shift. Gwen wasn’t sure what he wanted. She didn’t feel like telling him her life story.


“What do you want to know?” She asked.


“Where are you from?”


“Blackrock, Airlin.” She said like he’d announced his birthplace last night.


“Blackrock,” Havel said making Gwen blink. He’d actually used the word like he was really listening. That nearly shut her up in totally surprise.


“Where is that from here?” He asked next.


“South near the border.” She said almost reluctant to answer.


“So you deal with those orcs they talked about yesterday?”


“No thats very far south in the Scorche Desert.” She said and there was another silence. Havel didn’t know anything about this land so the words couldn’t make any sense.


“Tell me about your homeland.” Gwen said next as she figured this might as well go both ways.


“Its pretty normal. I said there was no magic right? We have roads, and buildings, and such. Right now I should be in class learning math, or maybe French.”


“French?” Gwen said hearing the word.


“Its another language.”


“So you were in a academy too?”


“Yes.”


“Did you live there?”


“No I rode my bike to school each day, I lived about an hour away.”


“Your lucky your home was so close to the castle.”


“Yeah, others were fortunate to live just a few minutes away.”


“Austin, Texas is a castle city then?”


“Austin is the city, and yeah its pretty big.” Havel said and Gwen was trying hard to re-organize her thoughts. He’d was quickly going from a hut dwelling savage to a modern city dwelling citizen. One that had family and academy classes. Once again she felt guilty for bringing him here. Everyone was treating him with such mistrust. She could almost picture him in common merchant dress running down a paved road. She still couldn’t imagine what this bike was he rode.


“What’s Blackrock like?” He asked filling the silence she’d left. It snapped her out of her reverie and she shook herself a little.


“Farmland mostly, its beautiful in every season. Blackrock Castle is smack on the crossroads. Anyone wanting to go north into Airlin has to come through us.”


“Seen any action?” Havel asked next curious about the situation.


“No.”


“Not in almost a hundred years. Up north Hamlin sent in a small force of raiders to test Cloudwatch. Caught us while the soldiers were off training. Messy battle before the raiders fled back across the border.”


Havel was silent for a while while as he thought about that. The sound of the hooves on dirt as they plodded along filling the air. It was getting around noon now and Gwen wished she’d brought some extra wine.


“Is that why you asked if I was from there?” He said after a minute.


“Blond hair is not very common in Airlin, but its mostly what you’ll find in that Kingdom.”


“Do you have family?” Havel asked next, maybe to change the subject to something lighter.


“Two brothers. Weston is ten and Jacob is eight. My mother Liana is torn about me being here but father has almost disowned me for it.


“Over protective?” Havel asked and Gwen let a loud snort. She chose not to elaborate though. That conversation might lead to discussing her eminent marriage. Something in her didn’t want him to find out. Things were already complicated enough and now she was feeling odd things.


“You mentioned a sister this morning.”


“Rachel, she’s five and the terror of my life. Her every waking moment is sculpted to torment me.”


“That sounds too much like my brothers.”


“Siblings are like that. I can honestly say I love and hate her in the same breath.”


“Mostly I hate them. When they aren’t at their own throats they’ll team up long enough to make my day hell.” She said vehemently and Havel chuckled knowingly from behind her. A little while more went by in relative silence. The horse meandered past several way spots. She noticed fresh trash from other careless students.


“What are we doing in town exactly?”


“You need real clothes, and other supplies.”


“Is that going to cost a lot?”


“It will eat up my savings, but we are stuck with one another.”


“If your in the spending mood can I ask for some blank notebooks?”


“You want to write a journal?”


“Yes,” Havel said next but he went on after a seconds thought. “I think its best if I try and learn the language.”


“Why?”


“If your Queen sends somebody around he might ask me questions.” Havel said making Gwen nod in understanding.


“They might say just putting words in your mouth. Even if you do learn the language they’ll probably still think I ordered you to say those things.” Gwen said being reminded again how forward thinking Havel was. She should have been the one to think of that. All she was focused on was just getting through the day, nothing else mattered.


“I think having this link will help me learn your language quickly.”


Off in the distance the town’s outline could barely be seen on the next hillock. The haze of city life hung above it like a mirage in the desert. Taking her hand from the reins she pointed.


“Bushmont,” She said feeling Havel look over her shoulder. His breath tickled her ear as he let out a small groan. Gwen smiled knowingly he was probably in serious pain already. He’d kept himself from complaining though. They would get there soon.



© 2015 Confused Author


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on January 19, 2015
Last Updated on February 13, 2015


Author

Confused Author
Confused Author

WA



About
Im older than i should be to start writing novels. I attribute my reading of thousands of books to my middling ability. more..

Writing