No Talking In The Library

No Talking In The Library

A Story by Aimer Noyes
"

A notice from the librarians to you.

"
Please do not talk in the library. Though you and your friend might be discussing book recs or asking someone to move so you can look at a book, it is still considered as talking. We understand that talking is a human quality, a way to communicate with people and to nurse your big ego, but we still ask you to not speak, and we are certain that you can obey a rule as simple as this. We know that it might be hard, but if other people can do it, you can do it too. You see, when you openly exclaim to your friend the utter delight you hold for reading (we hold nothing against you for liking reading), you are disrupting: the people who are lost in the world of books; the people who are working on a new novel; the people who are using our study zones; us at the main desk; and many more. Many people have a short attention span, and so we hope you understand that by talking, you are disrupting their peace and causing their focus to dwindle and burn out - much like if you turned the lights off. We understand that you may want to fangirl to the person nearest to you about something which happened in your book, but please keep it to yourself. And we don't want to think about what someone would do if you spoilt a story for them. As humans, we make first impressions of others in the first five seconds we meet them: do you really want to be remembered as that a*****e who ruined the ending of a book for someone? Imagine seeing the light slowly fading from their eyes as you tell them that a certain character dies in chapter 27 on page 556. Take a moment to imagine their face as they hurl the nearest object at your head. We do not want to have to deal with paying extra to have to clean up the red splotch on the floor, so we hope you understand that it would be a breach of our health and safety terms*. We value our spaces and do not wish to have to replace our carpet so soon. We are sure that most people in the room who are here to actually work can agree that talking is not necessary at this current point in time. And so, we ask you not to speak in our library. We hope that you can understand our need to ask this, as we do understand why you would want to talk.

*available at the front desk

© 2017 Aimer Noyes


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

95 Views
Added on October 18, 2017
Last Updated on October 18, 2017
Tags: librarian, notice, humour, it's supposed to be funny ok???, story, second person POV

Author

Aimer Noyes
Aimer Noyes

New Zealand



Writing