Sons of North

Sons of North

A Poem by Marina N. Lovrić

Every warrior shall meet his day ,
he tries to stand but knees give way ,
even the greatest will fall today

Behind this blood wall
eight hundred dead men lie ,
hearing an echo from Valhalla ;
"Vikings never die."

Rivers running red ,
they leave this world in fire ,
into wind as ashes ; the dead ;
eight hundred dead desires

To avenge our fallen companions
we march to bring them slaughter ,
each and every one of them
will drown in bloody water

Sleep well , my brother ;
close your eyes
for it is the final time
you'll see the northern skies

To my homeland and the north ;
to the forests and the snow farewell ;
and a farewell to my sword ;
you have served me well

© 2018 Marina N. Lovrić


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I loved reading this! You had me from the get go. I particularly liked the lines "Close your eyes for it is the final time you'll see the Northern skies" as well as the line "and a farewell to my sword; you have served me well" those lines really hit home, and I just found them to be extremely powerful. I really loved this and hope that you continue to write. The only improvements I can offer are to make sure that commas and semi colons are next to the words, just so that everything looks neater. Overall, I think this is a very well written powerful poem.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Very impressive,not a word out of place and an idealic picture of the Viking era of exploration and conquests.Many,many generations past both my parents hailed from Norway via the Orkney Islands then to Scotland.I have visited Norway 5 times in the last 20yrs and have visited the vestiges of early remains.Stave churchs,Oslo museums with boat and weapon relics and new digs in and around Oslo.The Norse of today are a far cry from their distant past.World wise,really well traveled,very productive and excepting of other cultures but it's their determination to the task at hand that gave me a better vision of how they conquered other ssettlements but evolved into the highly respected and desireable countries on the planet.Thanks for getting it right.


Posted 6 Years Ago


You're good at rhyming things, which isn't an easy task. I love the Norse culture and everything to do with it. This piece is special to me because it represents not just a war, not just a lifestyle but it also represents character. Like the last stanza of your poem where the author in her last moments appreciates everything that was dear to her in life, especially the sword that stood by her through thick and thin. That sword can be perceived as a pillar that we need to support us in our own personal lives and saying goodbye would be the hardest thing but just having that moment would be worth it.

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

80 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 15, 2017
Last Updated on March 13, 2018
Tags: vikings, viking, valhalla, north, medieval, history, sword, death

Author

Marina N. Lovrić
Marina N. Lovrić

Split, Croatia



About
19,Croatia more..

Writing