How to Survive NaNoWriMo

How to Survive NaNoWriMo

A Story by Alexandria Gill

National Novel Writing Month(better known as NaNoWriMo) is held in November of each year, and its participants are encouraged to write a 50,000 word novel within thirty days. So, basically, someone not willing to lose a piece of their soul in the process should probably stay away from NaNoWriMo. However, the pride felt in December once the goal is reached is worth the chaos. With this guide, I will explain how to properly prepare for November. My goal is to give those new to NaNoWriMo the chance to survive the month without going completely insane.


Before embarking on this crazy journey, a few supplies that most people already own are needed:

  •     

        computer or laptop

  •     tea

  •     coffee

  •     iPod

  •     notebook

  •     pens

  •     flash drive  


Step 1: Check out their website 

at . Signing up for NaNoWriMo is virtually pain free, and once registered, users have access to pep talks and message boards. It may sound strange, but a good pep talk really helps when reaching the goal seems impossible.


Step 2: Find a writing buddy. It is essential to success to have a friend full of encouragement to meet the daily word count. Just choose wisely. If the friend quits after one week, it will be hard to finish alone.


Step 3: Outline your novel. This is the most important step. Many " myself and my writing buddy included " have tried going into NaNoWriMo without a plot, and this causes complete chaos in the brain. Underdeveloped characters in an underdeveloped setting with a nonexistent plot will make for a very long and confusing month. Also, without a plot, crazy things will happen in the writing. For example, my friend wrote a completely out of context chapter about suicidal lemmings with David Bowie hair. Do not let this happen.



Step 4: Make a music play-list that will still be motivating after a month of listening to nothing else. In other words, put around a hundred songs that you like on the list. This may seem like a waste of time, but I highly recommend it. The flow of the music helps fingertips type to a rhythm.


On a related note, check out
The NaNoWriMo Song. It explains the roller coaster of NaNoWriMo perfectly. 


Step 5: Make sure all necessary items are purchased the day before NaNoWriMo. Go to the store and stock up on the supplies listed above, as well as anything not on the list that may be helpful. Enjoy Halloween. It'll be the last free night until December.

© 2012 Alexandria Gill


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 30, 2012
Last Updated on September 30, 2012
Tags: nanowrimo, november, writing, pens, coffee, tea, writer