Iceland Legends

Iceland Legends

A Story by Novram
"

The Icelandic Sagas; were from the Norse people of the Nordic Island nation. They had a great deal of folklore that was passed down through the generations, for a thousand years.

"

The sagas of Iceland, were stories, legends, mythology and history of the Norsemen. Some of the people in the tales came from real leaders of the Viking age.


       Raven Floki, was a Norse explorer. In the 860s, he sailed to from Norway to Iceland. The legend says that a raven helped the Norseman find the land mass. Odin, the king of the Norse gods, used the raven as the bird messenger. Floki led the settling of Iceland, in the late ninth century.

       Icelanders began recording the sagas about four hundred years later, after the first Norsemen came to the new Nordic country.

       The Tale of Ragnar and his sons were written in the Legendary Sagas.  They were part history and part legends from early Norse and their Vikings. The sagas were first documented in the language of Old Norse.

       The Vinland Sagas: were the accounts of their explorations to North America.
Leif Erikson first sailed to Newfoundland, Canada, in the eleventh century.

      

       In Iceland; they have the legend of Lagarfljot, a giant serpent in the lake. Sightings of the creature go back some 600 years. There was a video of the riverworm taken in 2012. It showed a huge, snake like creature, slithering through the water.

 

       The Norse had folklore about werewolves:

       Varulfur, was half man, half wolf, like a werewolf.

A warrior wearing a wolf’s fur, was called Ulfheonar.

A Berserker, was a Norseman in a bear coat. They fought in a frenzy,  with extreme aggression. This is where the expression, ‘Gone Berserk’, comes from.  Berserkers were said to have eaten plants that produced power and energy in the worriers, so they would be more ferocious in battle. Some of the substance they consumed was henbane, which intoxicated them. Or they may have ate some mushrooms that produced hallucinations.

       The Nordic people had tales of giants, demons, or  jotnar. In some poems, troll woman could transform themselves into wolves.

       Tales of wolfmen come from many of the Icelandic sagas, from the medieval era. They were shapeshifters in war and battles of Old Norse lore. And some of the legends may have come from Celtic origins.

       From Hrolfs saga kraka, in the 1300s, the spirit leaves the body and becomes an animal.

In King Haraldr Saga, berserkers fight allied with ulfheonar.

From the Volsunga saga, in the 1200s, the son of the king is called a Ylingr, which is a wolfling, or wolf cub. There is a shewolf that eats some brothers in the story.

Also from the thirteenth century, Egil’s saga tells of the “Evening wolf”. The members of the family were banished from Norway and then went to Iceland. One of them was a transformer, with great strength and fought like a berserker.

In Tiodels saga; around the 17th century, a shapeshifter transforms into a vargur, which is a wolf, or changes into a bear and lives in the forest.

Today, there are no longer any wolves in Iceland. But they did live there twelve centuries ago, when the Norsemen first came to the Nordic island nation.

       

       In Icelandic lore; there are tales like the Deacon of the river, from the nineteenth century. Just before Christmas, a minister hit his head and drowned in the river Horga, which leads into a long fjord. His lady friend from the farm where he had lived, saw the deacon after the tragedy, with a hat and scarf over his injured head, which he obtained during the accident. The apparition spoke in poetic prose.

There are many Christmas time horror stories on the Nordic island. Like the Norse giantess, witch and cannibal called Gryla, who cooks and eats children. There are also legends about trolls and a very large carnivorous cat, to scare boys and girls and get them to behave during the holidays.  












Sources:

Wikipedia.org; Sagas of Islanders,

Floki, Norse colonization of North America,

Berserker, Varulfur, Hrolfs saga kraka, Egil’s Saga,

Djakninn a Myrka, Iceland Christmas folklore.

Youtube; Gryla: The Cannibal Witch of Iceland.

Document; The Werewolf in Medieval Icelandic Literature; from the University of Iceland.

Writerscafe.org; thanks to John the Baptist, for information about berserkers and the plants they ate.

© 2024 Novram


Author's Note

Novram

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Quite interesting material here. I was not familiar with much of it, but I have heard of the Berserkers. One thing I read was that they discovered a plant that was a natural amphetamine, and that by chewing this plant they tapped into a powerful energy that made them extremely formidable in battle. Are you familiar with this information?

Posted 1 Year Ago


Novram

1 Year Ago

No, I had not heard of that. Is the plant henbane? or mushrooms? Thanks for the info and the review... read more
Novram

1 Year Ago

I added the plant information to the article.
Drug induced hallucinations experienced by bers.. read more
I also like to write about The Norse people, (commonly called Vikings). Although the Norsemen are not themselves paranormal, they are an enigma of history.

Posted 1 Year Ago


All very interesting
I'd heard of the Berserkers but surprised about there being no wolves there now
Something else we have managed to eliminate
Funny enough, many moons ago, I did a thingy about a young boy raised by wolves.
All good stuff

Posted 1 Year Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Novram

1 Year Ago

Thats a good poem and story. Who wrote it?
Dave Brown

1 Year Ago

my little effort

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

94 Views
3 Reviews
Added on August 31, 2022
Last Updated on January 27, 2024
Tags: Iceland, sagas, Norse, Vikings, Werewolves

Author

Novram
Novram

MD



About
I use to write about unexplained phenomena on this site. more..

Writing