18 September 2013

18 September 2013

A Chapter by N.S. Jones

Dear Grandad,

We had your funeral today.  I still can't believe you're gone, though I think it's finally starting to slowly sink in.

The service was very beautiful.   I know that you're not very religious, but I think you would have approved of everything that Dad and Aunt Joan had organised for you.  The funeral director read a passage from the Bible's New Testament; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18, according to the programme.  Then he continued with a summary of your life, which was followed by the Lord's Prayer.  Next he played a short playlist of songs which Dad and Aunty Joan selected, including some of your favourites, like Sukiyaki and Prisoner.

Granny was bawling her eyes out before hand; she calmed down somewhat before we went in, but she started up again when the playlist was being played.  I have to admit, my eyes weren't very dry either; I kept having to blink my tears away.  I was determined not to cry, even if I didn't really succeed, because I knew you wouldn't want me to.  Anyway, Dad was very solemn; not at all like how he usually is. And had his arm around her through the whole thing.

They cremated you like you wanted, but I drew a picture of a gravestone for you.  I hope you like it.

 

Love,

Sarah



© 2014 N.S. Jones


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

172 Views
Added on March 6, 2014
Last Updated on March 6, 2014


Author

N.S. Jones
N.S. Jones

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom



About
I've been writing off and on since I was little, but never finished writing a story until I was in my late teens. I try to write something everyday, but it doesn't always happen. I love to read and wr.. more..

Writing