Tales of the Intrepid: Prologue

Tales of the Intrepid: Prologue

A Chapter by nukinit87
"

Baell recalls a time when life was better. Oh how he wishes he could return to that time.

"
Prologue

412th Fraction, 69th Partition, 14th Iteration, 3rd Division, 1st Period, 1233rd Cycle
 
Legendary.  That was what they used to call me.  That was my title.

I was once the greatest master of the elements. I could manipulate fire and water, earth and air, light, darkness, and time. Even life itself could not hide from my power. All schools of the Arcane bent to my will.  But now I long for the feel of lightning at my fingertips once more, the tingle as it dances across the crest on my back. I miss the warmth of fire coursing through my veins, the strength of the earth in my bones, the grace of the wind at my feet, and the knowledge of all that is Arcane filling my mind.

I once led my people into a golden age.  I opened their minds to the Crystal’s wisdom and our power grew a hundredfold.  The Crystal was our salvation, it civilized us, and gave us the means to shape the world how we saw fit.  I ruled my people during the greatest cycles our empire has ever seen.

But now it is all gone.  I went too far. I delved too deep into the Crystal’s wonders.  Now my people pay for the mistake I made while I hide like a coward, too afraid to face them.  They don’t know it was me.  At least, I don’t think they do.  I haven’t seen, or heard, from another of my kind for nearly five hundred cycles.  Perhaps I am the only one left?  Did anyone else survive?

NO!  I refuse to accept it!  My people are strong!  We will outlast this curse!

I want to help, but I cannot go back.  I cannot face them knowing what I did.  Do they loathe me?  Am I now remembered as the bringer of our own destruction? Or do they still worship me?  Blissfully ignorant to the havoc I unleashed upon the world.  I do not deserve to be praised but I do not wish to receive their hatred.  I cannot go back.

Long ago I learned the secrets of Biomancy, a skill no other has mastered. I have lived nearly fifty lifetimes of my people, half as their leader, half in solitude.  All the while harnessing the Crystal’s power to keep me alive.  While it is figuratively my people’s lifeblood, it is also mine in a literal manner.  Time matters not when you live as long as I, which is why I slowly bide my time, waiting for the perfect moment to make my glorious return and restore the shattered image of my former self.  But I cannot go back.

Not yet…

However, I have not remained idle through all these cycles alone.  Weaning myself of the Crystal’s corruption I have been attempting to find other sources to satiate my cravings.  The Crystal allowed us to wield artificial power with ease, but I have found a source of true power.  Long have I meditated in my seclusion in search of true power, and all this time it has been right under our feet.  It takes mastery beyond even my knowledge to tap into its full potential, but its basics are learnable to all.

Yes, this can save us!  The Crystal’s power is our bane and cannot stop the terror that is ravaging my people.  But this… This is raw power!  We learn to wield the power Nature has given us and we can survive! We will destroy the Crystal and�"

What is that?

Something falls from the sky!  Never have I seen a ball of fire that large before!  Surely it is not some spawn of evil They have conjured.  It cannot be.

It has landed.  I wish I could see more clearly.  By the Crystal, that is no ordinary fireball!  There is something within it!  It looks black, like stone, but is too perfectly shaped to be natural.  Is it alive?  Should I take a closer look?  No, I dare not come down from the Razorscales lest I be discovered. No one shall find me here.  Perhaps I should wait a while for it to move.

Something is coming out of it!  Many things!  Creatures like us?  But they are pink-skinned, and only walk on two legs.  How strange.  They do not look evil.  Perhaps they are friendly?  Perhaps they have come to help us!

At last!  Our cry has been answered!  I shall greet them, and bring them back to my people.  They will help save us and return our home to the paradise it once was.  We will march into Rapture and I will be called Savior once more!

For I am Baell, the Legendary!  Lord of the Qaladdean Empire!  Keeper of the Secret of Life!  And I am forever!


© 2017 nukinit87


Author's Note

nukinit87
This is a carryover from the original. Nothing has changed.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on July 8, 2017
Last Updated on July 8, 2017
Tags: science fiction, fantast, cross genre, space, military, navy, magic, elemental


Author

nukinit87
nukinit87

Groton, CT



About
I'm an Electrician in the Navy, currently serving on the USS Springfield, nuclear submarine. I write stories as a hobby when I have free time, which tends to be infrequent these days. more..

Writing