How to Write the Best Obituary? Hear from Professional Writers

How to Write the Best Obituary? Hear from Professional Writers

A Story by Hardy Owens
"

The entire obituary needs not be funny! Some deaths are tragic. Hence, there is definitely no way to make the obit hilarious, and it should not be! It's okay to make a short obit with just a few lines

"
There is nothing more moving than an obituary that captures and honors the spirit of the deceased. The method of writing a good obituary is neither straightforward nor rocket science! It is the personal touch, the emotional connotation, and the heart-touching flow that make an obituary fantastic. The writer should follow a smooth tone in a printable obituary template.

Nowadays, sample funeral program templates are readily available on the internet. However, if you want to create an obituary from scratch here is a list of things you should follow.

Write Down the Key Facts

The anatomy of an obituary is pretty simple! It should start with writing the key facts. The most sensational obituaries include key details about the deceased person. Mention the name, birthplace, age, date of birth, and death. From then you should include the personal details whether married or not, including their careers or retirement time. You should also share the relationship of who survives and finally the details of the memorial service.

The recitation of these details might sound clinical; however, it is crucial to mention the basics.

Write in A Letter Form

Eminent writers always advise starting the write-up in the present tense and then changing it to the past tense. In addition, the obituary should be written in a form of a letter so that you can easily connect with the person. Moreover, the delivery tone should be personal.

Reach Out to the Close Ones

An obituary sounds personal and lovely when there are some unheard memorable stories. However, it should sound like a traditional obit represented like a eulogy with anecdotes and characters. Ask the close family members and friends what is the first thing that comes to their mind when they hear about the person. Or, what are the stories that demonstrate his/her character? Sometimes these stories best represent the person’s life.

Ask These Few Questions

You can ask the following questions to the family member of the deceased person:

1. How would you describe her/his personality?
2. What were his/her hobbies?
3. What are the special memories they have?
4. What was the best thing you loved about the person?

Make the Tone Neutral

The entire obituary needs not be funny! Some deaths are tragic. Hence, there is definitely no way to make the obit hilarious, and it should not be! It's okay to make a short obit with just a few lines and some remarkable impressions.

The writer should use her/his own judgment to choose the tonality of the obit. In case, you are familiar with the person it would be easier for you to assess the tone and style of the obit.

Bottom Line

Use your instinct and finalize the obit! You can also take suggestions from the readily available printable obituary template.

© 2023 Hardy Owens


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

26 Views
Added on March 22, 2023
Last Updated on March 22, 2023
Tags: Printable Obituary Template, Sample Funeral Program Template

Author

Hardy Owens
Hardy Owens

Los Angeles, CA



About
Our mission is to provide you with the highest-quality products and services possible in a timely fashion and at a competitive price.  We promise to listen to you and help you achieve your printi.. more..

Writing