running with rocks

running with rocks

A Story by orrin spencer

 

 

This is not the point of the story but it is important; I like to run.  Most importantly, (besides the point of this story)  I like to run in the hills, I like big hills, vertical hills that make me question why in the hell did I even take that first step knowing that I wouldn't come back down until I made it to my destination.  Also when I say I like to run, I don't mean a fast paced hike or jogging.  I run until it hurts, my heart pounding, feeling like it's the size of a cantaloupe beating into my ribs, my lungs are aching for air no matter how hard I try to pull the oxygen deep into every last alveoli, legs and arms burning with a hot pain that feels like scalding water, head gets a bit of a dizzy feeling... and then I'll slow to a jog for a moment and then keep running.  And to answer your question- I don't have a reason, I just do it... it's fun o.k.

Now that you know the important part I'll get on with the story.  One day I found a long trail that climbs up into the hills and continues on until it gets to those hills that are behind the hills everyone sees while driving in their cars and they wonder "I wonder what is behind those hills?" and trust me, behind those hills are more hills.  At the trail head I stood motionless staring at the county parks department map trying to imprint in my mind  the route I would need to follow to reach Morro view.  Noting the mountain lion sightings and rattlesnake warnings I took my first step towards the trail.  Not to far up the trail I noticed a fresh pile of poop and not knowing what the difference between dog and mountain lion poop would be I decided to keep going (mountain lions aren't too active during the day I've been told).

I smiled at the sights of the trail as I ran, just the cracked dirt from dried out rainy seasons, roots holding fast to the earth as they try to smother the rocks beneath them, a few lizards, the sight of town as it lay below me, the view ever increasing while I followed the trail higher into the hills and then the "run till I hurt" part I explained above started to swallow me from the inside out.  I slowed to my jogging pace and suddenly I noticed a rock that looked as though it had been sitting in the same spot for far too long.  I said to myself (as there was no one else around to say it to) "I should take this rock with me".   I will say I chose this rock mostly because of it's shape and weight, all of the rocks around it looked as if they had been forgotten there just as long but damned if I'm going to run around with a rock that weighs forty pounds.

I am still not sure why I chose to pick up a rock and take it with me to my destination.  The only idea I have was that this rock would never get to have another view of the world I get to see everyday unless I took it with me.  -I may have been suffering from a lack of oxygen as well-  I started running again, notably a little slower, and huffed and puffed and ached and burned my way to the rock's and my first sighting of Morro view.  I must tell you, it is amazing to break from the scrub brushed, rocky, dusty trail onto the big pile of rocks that gives the break away view of the farm lands, the ocean (on this particular day) and the chain of hills noted as the seven sisters... breathtakingly beautiful if you have a beating heart and decent vision.  I set my new running partner down on top of a different pile of rocks so it could have a view it has never had before, and to answer another question- I seriously doubt anyone else had ever picked up this exact rock and went running with it, so yes this was a view the rock had never seen before.  I'm not sure why I felt a happy fuzzy feeling inside my mind, I did feel definitely dorky, but also definitely happy for giving this one rock a different view of the world I have so much freedom to move around in. 

I don't know if this was better for the rock, if it made the rock happier, or exposed it to harsher elements, if this move enlightened it or made it resent me.  All I know is that I carried that dirty, heavy, skin bruising, scratching rock for more than three quarters of a mile uphill.  I gave it my all to give that rock a new experience, good or bad, it was new.  I only wish I could keep up that tempo, that fire, that burn, that smile every day.  To use my energy to give myself and others around me a new experience and hopefully a positive if not at least a mind opening experience whenever possible, that would keep me smiling.  I would run with a rock of any size to give someone a different view. 

Disclaimer- I don't believe rocks can be enlightened and I don't believe they have feelings but if they do and that rock is truly unhappy because of my idea then I am sorry and please if you ever see that rock put it back for me.

 

 

 

 

 

© 2009 orrin spencer


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

First of all - funny as hell. Only you would pick up a rock and run with it, however, a guy in Brazil is charging good money to train people like that, using rocks, sticks, trees, etc... to get you in better shape, along the lines we were made to be, naturally strong. And I think the guys in 300 trained with rocks to get in the shape they were in - or that could all be B.S.

The story is great from beginning to end, even with the spelling errors you'll find when editing with spell check. If your writing on this sites page, don't. Use Word first, edit then post to here. It's works better that way.

My only problem reading this is the mechanics. There is no break or breather anywhere in the story. It fits what your telling us, running up the hill with a rock, but readers need breaks. You can use a break to get the reader to focus on a certain point, to reflect on something, whatever - but we need breaks. I just finished running for an hour and I came and ran up a hill with you... thanks.

Good job bro - seriously. You should have let me know you were posting. I dind't know. Good job and well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Well firstly, WOW! I envy you for your desire and ability to run like that, just wow! I loved the story and am thankful for your inspiration! We find it in the strangest places sometimes. I'm glad you found yours!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 16, 2008
Last Updated on May 13, 2009

Author

orrin spencer
orrin spencer

avila beach, CA



About
I live in central california but I'm a nortwest washington native. I have an amazing 6 year old daughter who keeps me going and pushes me to be a more patient, understanding person. more..

Writing
pieces pieces

A Poem by orrin spencer