The beast

The beast

A Story by Jeff Overton
"

this is a chapter from a book i'm writing. please tell me what you think.

"
judging by the clock on the dashboard it’s been ten minutes since my arms embraced Elle.

I look out the window and frown as I see an overcast of black clouds forming overhead.

I look down at the map. “Three miles out guys” I shout.

“I’m bored” Elle says draping her arms over my shoulders.

“Bored, bored, bored” she continues to whisper in my ear.

Ok! “enough, I get it! You’re bored, what do you expect me to do about it?”

She yawns. “I don’t know” she replies deflated by my answer.

I continue to drive thinking what I could do with her to relieve her boredom.

Then it comes to me in the form of a burnt out sports shop.

I pull into the car park. A bunch of walkers mar my way, but not for long. I hit the gas and amuse myself by playing human skittles.     

BUMP! “Adios” I shout as I send one scuttling through the burnt out window of a nearby shop.

The crack of bones echoes beneath the ambulance as I mow the next one down and proceed to run over its legs. It thrashes around on the floor with black goo oozing from the wounds were its bones had snapped like twigs and protruded through its paper thin skin.

The third disintegrated on impact painting the rear of the ambulance a nice shade of black.

Fun time over I park the ambulance. I grab the mp5 open the door and hop down.

“On me, Jason” I say as I close the door.  

The sigh he lets out tells of his frustration. I knew he didn’t want to come but what choice did I have? I couldn’t leave him alone with Elle.

Again I bark my order, “on me, I said.”

This time he follows.

We enter the building. It’s dark. I head back to the vehicle and scavenge through the bags Jason had packed back at the hospital.

“That will do nicely” I say flicking the torch on/off making sure it worked. Next I take some surgical tape and attach the torch to the top of the mp5.

“Where’s my weapon?” Jason asks as I continue to wrap the tape around.

I turn snarling and reply “not a f*****g chance!”

He cowers. I think he thought I was going to belt him. I’ll be honest with you I’m finding it hard not to, he’s really let me down.

I shut the driver’s door then head to the passenger side, kiss Elle and say “Once this door locks under no circumstances are you to open it and if Jason comes out alone you shoot him dead you listening?” I say handing her my handgun. 

I walk back to the door with my modified mp5 in hand and shout.

“Is there anybody inside?” no reply returns so I figured it safe to enter. 

“Keep close, Jason!” I say turning my head to face him.

A pile of dead rat carcasses crunches under foot as we venture inside.

All seems clear as the round orb of light bobs from wall to wall.

We continue in. Jason’s hand rests on my shoulder; it’s like the blind leading the blind.

We venture further; the building creaks and moans as it settles down and with the darkness and the creaky moans, it felt like we were walking through a haunted house, all we need to finish the scene is something to jump out and scare the s**t out of us.

We continue in our formation towards the back of the shop and there on the wall is what I was hoping to find. I reach up and take the crossbow off the wall then search for the bolts.

“Is that for me?” Jason asks.

“Err, I don’t think so. I wouldn’t trust you with a toothpick; you’ve a long way to go to earn back my trust. It will be a while until you get your hands on another weapon” I snarl.

“Fine!”  He replies deflated.

Hey! “Don’t go making out I’m being unfair to you. It’s nobody’s fault but your own, all I did was give you enough rope to hang yourself and hang yourself you did. Prick.”

He doesn’t reply. I feel the warmth of his breath on the naïve of my neck as he lets out a prolonged disappointed sigh.

Rumble! Rumble! The beam of my torch snaps to the floor and follows the cricket ball rolling towards us. My heartbeat quickens the hairs on the back of neck raise like little soldiers standing to attention. “I don’t think we are alone” I whisper.  I was right.

I shine the torch beam franticly darting left to right up/ down searching for whatever or whoever rolled that ball.

“Please don’t shoot! A voice cries out.

I instantly spin in its direction bringing the beam from my torch to the face of a small boy. He looks frightened his hands are up in front of his face and he peers back through his curtained fingers. I cautiously move closer. I’ve already been ambushed once so I’m not taking any chances. Yes, he may be only a boy but how do I know there isn’t anybody else lurking in the shadows? I didn’t so I’m not taking any unnecessary risks.

I draw level; his hands remain in place shielding his eyes from my torch beam. I move it to the side, his hands lower. I can hear his thoughts. So much anger oozed from this kid. He wanted to rip me limb from limb and bathe in my blood.  Strange I have never been able to read a human’s mind; maybe my abilities are evolving. I don’t know just surmising but something doesn’t read right with this kid. Yes, he looks normal but the hairs standing on the back of my neck say differently.

“Are you here on your own kid?” I ask.

He doesn’t answer. His stare is unnerving.

I take a bar of chocolate from my pocket; rip the wrapper open and ease the tasty morsel out and offer it to him.

Here! “Take it.” I say extending my hand.

He bums shuffles backwards. He doesn’t trust me. Maybe he thinks I’m trying to poison him?  With this in mind I take a bite of the chocolate bar and chew pretending it’s nice and yummy but in reality to me it tastes like s**t but I think I’ve convinced him.

I offer it to him again. He hungrily snatches it from my hand and devours the whole thing wrapper and all.

Hey! “you’re not supposed to eat the wrapper!” 

I take another bar out and remove the wrapper saying “see, like this.” I watch as the wrapper drifts to the floor. Suddenly the boy’s eyes widen. Crimson eyes stare back from the dark. He lunges forward like some feral kid. He’s strong. His head connects with my sternum and sends me flying into some nearby shelves. I sit slumped thinking “boy, this kids abnormally strong.” I look round for Jason. Just as I thought the cowardly b*****d is nowhere to be seen and to top that my f*****g torch is broken. I sit in the darkness straining my eyes. What was that thing? It was certainly no kid. Its strength was on par with my own; it totally caught me off guard.

I ease myself to my feet using the shelf behind me as leverage thinking, “if it’s infected; why can’t I see it?”

Bang! Crash! My eyes dart from wall to wall. I can hear something scuttling along the walls. Balls, bats and other sports equipment crash to the floor as whatever it is leaps from shelf to shelf. I suddenly find myself out of my depth. If this is an infected I’m dealing with it’s certainly not one I’ve come across before.

I edge forward towards the light beckoning me from outside the dark dank confines I find myself in; Jason is still AWOL; the wanker, wait till I get my hands on him.

I ease my way towards the light using the shelves as my guide.

Thud! The way forward is blocked. Burning red eyes block my way, I knew there was a body below those red eyes. I lift the mp5 and take aim and pull the trigger. CLICK! CLICK! I frantically eject the magazine tap it against my leg and reinsert it; again I pull the trigger. CLICK! CLICK! F**k! “it must be a bad primer” I think as the burning red eyes slowly move towards me. I turn to run.

“Here, try these for size” Jason shouts.

I spin to face the direction I thought his voice came from.

I can see the whites of his eyes.

“Here, catch!”  He says throwing something towards me.

I blindly throw my hands out hoping to catch whatever he has thrown. I miss and whatever it was wraps my knuckles.

F**k! “Jason what did you throw?” i ask shouting into the darkness.    

“Bolts for the cross bow.” He replies.

Suddenly the burning eyes snap to Jason’s direction. I watch as they leap to the ceiling; they pause and glance towards me then head towards Jason.

Jason! “it’s coming your way” I scream.

He doesn’t answer.

I drop to my knees and blindly fumble on the floor for the bolts and after some fumbling my hand catches the point of the bolt. I quickly pick them up and load the bolts into the cross bow. I’m now locked and loaded.  As I loaded the bolts I felt a mounted scope I raise the bow to my eye and to my surprise my surroundings turn green as luck would have it the crossbow I’d picked was equipped with a night vision scope. Lucky or fate? You decide but I am grateful it’s there.

Help! Help! “Get this f*****g thing off me” Jason yells.

I head towards Jason’s cries. I turn the corner. There it is hunched over Jason I fire. The bolt buries itself deep into its back. It lets out a piercing scream and scurries off into the darkness.

I grab Jason’s hand, pull him to his feet and give the order to run.

We both sprint towards the door using the light filtering in as our guide. Suddenly I feel a jolt; my load lightens as Jason fingers slip from my hand. I stop and turn in his direction just in time to see his face disappear into the darkness. The screams that follow will haunt me forever. I turn and sprint towards the exit. The morning sun kisses my face as I exit into the sunlight. I continue forwards towards the ambulance yelling, “Elle open the f*****g door!”   

She hears my cries and swings the door open. I give one last look behind me and then jump in. I sit panting gathering my breath.

“Where’s Jason?” Elle asks.

I sigh, “I don’t know.”

“You killed him, didn’t you?” she yells.

I shake my head frantically and reply. “I didn’t, I swear Elle, I didn’t. One minute he was there the next he was gone” I reply.

“Liar, liar, you’re a f*****g liar” She screams then launches herself towards me using her fists as the drumsticks against my chest the drum.

I grab her hands and squeeze them together holding them in place in front of her.

Elle! “I swear I did him no harm, there is something inside that store; something I have never come across before; that’s what took Jason. Yes, I hated the guy but I couldn’t kill him, I needed him” I reply calmly.

Suddenly the colour washes from her face.

“Something like that?” she says pointing to the stores doorway.

I let go of her hands and slowly turn to face the store.

I gulp loudly several times. There stood in the doorway dripping in Jason’s blood holding both his severed arms is a small boy around Elle’s age. I turn to face her watching her eyes well before overflowing down her cheeks. I pull her towards me offering words of comfort saying, “hey! Little one, don’t cry, everything is going to be alright. I promise I won’t let anything happen to you; you’re special Elle more than you will ever know. Now dry those tears and hide.”

I smile, she returns the gesture.

Can you remember what I said earlier on about growing up and being my soldier?” I continue to ask.

She wipes her tears on her sleeve and replies, “yes I do” then tucks herself away in the passenger’s foot well. 

I smile and say, “Stay there while I go and have a chat with my friend.

I open the door, “don’t go” Elle says tugging me back by my trousers.

I grab her hand and gently pull it away. Our eyes meet. “I promise I’m coming back” I whisper.

I step out, cross bow in hand, close and lock the door, gulp and slowly walk towards the boy.

Up until now I thought I was top of the food chain but now this boy casts a stark shadow over that. He’s small and at first glance you’d think I’d easily over power him, however don’t let looks deceive you because this little b*****d packs a punch. He’s as strong as or stronger than me and f*****g lightning fast.

I check the crossbow as I slowly put one foot in front of the other.

It’s a Concorde crossbow equipped with the latest quick draw mechanism and comes with a nine ounce co2 gas bottle and with a touch of a button it auto reloads itself. Neat eh! The reason I wanted the bow in the first place was to teach Elle to shoot in the hopes it would relieve her boredom that and the 1911 recoil was too powerful for her.

I sling the bow strap over my shoulder so that the bow now rests on my back and decide to test whatever stands before me strength.

I edge closer. It doesn’t move to meet me; seems as though it wants me to come to him. I oblige and creep forward stopping a few feet away. White meets red as our eyes lock. It’s just a boy dressed as a boy would. Ripped blood soaked jeans don his dainty legs whilst a once white t-shirt dons his dainty frame; blood soaked trainers finish his ensemble. I can see bloody footprints set into the concrete behind him. His face is badly burnt down his left side and his left eye protrudes further than his right. He continues to stare. That stare of his makes my blood curdle and causes multiple shivers to run down my spine. It’s like we’re in a scene from a wild west movie waiting for the first one to draw all we needed was the music.

Suddenly! The boys head begins to shake violently side to side and as it does bits of  his face fly off in all directions, his nose comes to rest on the bonnet of the ambulance its ear sticks to the shop door and slowly slides towards the ground on a slug like trail.

I stand dumfounded as the boy’s face literally unravels before me and when his head finally stops shaking I’m no longer faced with a little boy. What I’m faced with is something else. My eyes struggle to process the view presented. It’s a cross between a runner and a shuffler. Its teeth are shark like, serrated and jagged perfect for tearing flesh. Its eyes oval and burn blood red.

I continue to watch with stalked eyes as Jason’s severed appendages drop simultaneously to the floor. I thought its transformation was complete and readied my stance for combat; I was wrong. Fingers drop from its hands. I gasp loudly as the skin on its hands begin to split oozing thick black sludge. I gulp swallowing air as one by one fingers drop to the floor replaced by serrated claws.

Suddenly it opens its mouth and lets out an ear piercing scream.

THUD! My eyes instantly snap to the roof of the store. I gulp loudly thinking, S**t! “Now there are two.”

“So that’s your game! You were waiting for back up, you sneaky b*****d!”

THUD! The other creature, lands just in front of me.

My eyes widen, adrenaline pumps around my tiny frame and for the first time in ages I can honestly say I’m scared. Maybe today will test my ability to heal and if I can actually be killed?

I stand my ground on shaky legs and put on a brave face as Elle peers out the window.

Outnumbered two to one and with a foe I’ve never fought before I dig deep and draw on the courage I see in Elle’s eyes thinking “I have to survive this. It doesn’t bare thinking about what they would do to Elle if I were to die today.”

I alter my stance from defensive to aggressive and propel myself forward at great speed.

WHACK! My head goes back as the one nearest to me connects with great conviction sending me hurtling backwards into the ambulance.  

I’m dazed; stars dance on the edge of my vision and the left side of my jaw hangs in the balance teetering on falling completely off and hangs by thread of sinewy muscle.

F**k! “These fuckers are strong” I think while staring into Elle’s tear filled eyes.

“I’ve got to survive if not for my sake for hers, she’s depending on me” I think whilst pulling myself free from my metal coffin. 

Hey! “What’s with all the noise?” Joey says sticking his head out the back of the ambulance.

“I’d sit this one out if were you? If I don’t make it make sure the little girl locked in the front reaches sanctuary, ok?”

He nods then disappears back inside.

My eyes glance left to right sizing up my opponents. I decide to attack the smaller one who’s been content to watch from the back ground. Again I propel myself forward. A flash of red covers my vision. It’s as if I’m on autopilot and watching from outside my own body as the next bloody few minutes unfold.

The small one lets out a piecing scream as I run towards it with my fist tightly clenched like a wrecking ball.

I swing from the hip adding my full body weight increasing my momentum. CRACK! A slow sadistic grin graced my face as its jaw breaks, bones splinter and exit through its membrane skin, black goo oozes out and drips off the end of the exposed glistening bone.

They knew they could hurt me and now they know I can hurt them after showing I give as good as I take.

Game on fuckers!

I launch myself again this time I draw the knife concealed in my belt and drop to my knees sliding past the larger one and slash wildly severing its tendons. It stumbles forward as skin peels from bone leaving a fountain of black goo that pumps out as though being forced through a high pressure hose. It squeals. It actually feels pain. Not like the shufflers or runners which feel nothing. These are alive; thick black veins pulsate over a blackened heart that beats within their thin membrane skin.

I smile to myself thinking, “I wonder if they know that I know how to kill them now?

I launch again knife in hand slashing with precision severing its claw like hand in a shower of black blood, it thrashes around wildly spattering its surroundings with jet black blood. It squeals again; the larger one answers in kind and goes to its aid. I thought I’d seen it all, however I was wrong.

The larger one opens its mouth and when I say open, I mean open. Must have dislocated its jaw for its mouth to open that wide it literally looked like a pedal bin. I watch in disbelief as it swallows the childlike one whole and incorporates it into its own body. Another arm bursts out from within; a second later another joins it and I’m sure it’s taller than before. I gulp loudly when I see the damage that I had inflicted has totally healed and so has mine come to mention it. My jaw moves as it should, no longer did it hang to the side of my face.

Exhausted I attack again slashing frantically I cut the beast several times, black blood oozes from the freshly cut wounds I’d inflicted. I gulp loudly as they heal a second later. It seemed to be using the smaller ones ingested body as a means of self-healing.

I attack again. My arms feel heavy, my muscles are weary my high metabolism meant I had to gorge regularly to keep my energy levels up and now I was like one of those bunnies you see on the Duracell adverts and my sluggish movements made for easy counters. I wince through gritted teeth as one of its four claws makes contact and slashes my side leaving five deep claw marks. I place my hand over the wound and apply pressure watching as crimson blood bubbles through the cracks between my fingers. I can feel the wounds open and close in tandem with my breathing. I feel faint and start to fade between night and day. Exhausted, wounded and rapidly losing blood I drop heavily onto my knees. CRACK! My knee caps shatter as they hit the concrete floor. I wince and cry out in pain as the pain succumbs me and numbs my senses.

I turn to face Elle; she bangs on the window shouting, “get up Jane, please get up!”

I dig deep and muster what strength I had buried deep within but it was more than that, the thought of leaving this kid alone cut me to the core and spurred me on. I think I love her, but how can I tell? I mean, what is love? It’s hard to differentiate something when you haven’t experienced it before.

“Behind you!” Elle shouts frantically stabbing her finger towards the beast rapidly approaching from behind. I turn whack! My head goes back. I feel my own blood splash against my face as its claw catches my face and carves a picture down the right side. The force of the blow knocks me onto my back. I wince as the bow digs into my spine as I make contact with the ground.  The creature backs away. It seems to be studying me, maybe looking for any weaknesses it can exploit. I’ve had enough one more blow from those huge claws and I’m finished. I slide the crossbow off my arm and press the button at the side of the trigger and listen as the mechanism whirls and grabs an arrow and reloads it. I take aim and fire, the whips of the bolt flying through the air is music to my ears. The creature screams as the bolt hits home pinning its left arm to the door. I quickly press the button again and reload another bolt, aim and fire and pin its other arm to the door; it squeals as the bolts find their mark. I reload again and fire this time piercing its black heart, the scream makes my ears run crimson causing a river of blood to trickle down my neck. Seeing my victory complete I rise on unsteady feet and shuffle towards it.

“What are you?” I ask while peering into its dimming eyes.

“What are you?” it replies.

I chuckle, “the last thing you’re ever going to see” with that said I grab hold of its head and vigorously twist left to right then pull sharp horizontally and remove its head, spinal column and all then gorge on its brain to replenish my energy levels. Here we go again. I say wiping the black goo from my lips as the creature’s memories flood my cerebral cortex. I’m in a health centre holding my mother’s hand waiting to be called for my appointment when suddenly the door burst open and in comes another creature, one of which I’ve yet to see in person, it’s f*****g huge. Its belly is engorged, I’m about to find out why. People scream, running around like headless chickens with one direction in mind the exit which this huge create dominates. I can see millions of slug like creatures swimming around in its gut. It opens its mouth, and out swims thousands of them sniffing the air with their little flared nostrils, darting in every direction as they acquire their scent. I watch as one latches onto my mother and forces its way into her mouth. Blood drips from her lips, she drops to her knees, her body starts to convulse as though she was having a fit. Suddenly she’s silent. I feel all the boys’ emotions as he goes to her aid shaking her vigorously shouting “wake up mummy wake up!”

Her eyes open their blue glaze has disappeared, replaced with a fiery red. She grabs me and throws me against the wall. I slump to the floor. I hear a tiny squeak beside my ear then an unbearable pain follows as it burrows deep inside me. Silence follows as I black out. I wake an hour later as one of those creatures.

Ewe! “That’s just gross.” Elle says tapping me on the shoulder.

I snap to. My mind returns.

I sigh and reply. ” I thought I told you to stay in the ambulance?”

You did and I did until I saw you covered in that black stuff, I thought you were hurt, that’s the only reason I left the ambulance.”

I smile, “well as you can see I’m fine, just hungry that’s all; so f*****g hungry.

She rolls her eyes and replies. “What’s wrong with normal food?”

I shrug replying. You don’t understand Elle. You can’t do because even I don’t understand. “  

“Try me.”

“Not now, maybe later.”

She frowns and replies, “Ok.”

I remove the bolts pinning the creature’s arms to the door and its arms flop to its side. Next the one from its heart, that one is buried further in and took some pulling but eventually I manage to wriggle it free.

I clean the bolt heads up by wiping the black goo on my trousers. (not as though you’d notice there already covered in black s**t so what’s a bit more?). I reload the spent arrows back into the chamber and press the button and watch as the arm grabs a bolt and readies it to fire. I apply the safety thinking my adventurous day was over and sling it back over my back.

Suddenly the back doors open on the ambulance and Joe jumps down.

“Hey Joe, everything alright?” I ask smiling.

"Yeah, fine thanks for asking, however i have to decided to go my own way if that sits well with you? Far too much excitement happening around you and I’ve a strange feeling that this sort of thing happens to you all of the time; am I right?”

Ha, ha "I suppose, you’re free to leave as you please you were never a prisoner. Here take this it will protect you” I say handing him the 1911 and spare clips.

He smiles, “I can’t take this” he replies whilst his eyes give it the once over.

I let out a sigh and reply, “cause you can. How else are you going to protect yourself out there?”

He shrugs. “fine I see your point in that case I humbly accept your gift” he retorts.

“Help yourself to anything you need, take as much food and water as you can carry” I reply.

“Thank you so much for your kindness and generosity which makes this next bit a little harder to swallow.”

Swallow? Joe you’re making no sense. What are you talking about?”

He frowns. I watch as the wrinkles in his brow and cheek turn towards the ground.

“What’s wrong my friend?” I ask.

He doesn’t answer; well he does sort of but not verbally. Suddenly he draws his gun.

“You’ve got to be shitting me, you’re messing rite?” I ask.

Nope! Deadly serious, I’m afraid I’m going to have to relieve you of those keys.”

I frown. I can feel my blood starting to boil.

Joe sees I’m disappointed and explains himself, “Look! I’m sorry. Yes, you have been kind and been a most accommodating host but I need the ride I’m afraid.”

I turn to Elle and clutch her tightly to my waistline and reply.

“Look Elle this is what happens when you show weakness, people s**t on you.”

“Ewe that’s disgusting!” she retorts screwing her face up in disgust.

“Ha, ha, no, not literally, it’s another word us adults use when we’re let down by another” I reply still chuckling to myself.

Enough! “Hand over the keys!” Joe shouts shattering my family time with Elle.

My eyes lock with his. There is no way he’s having my ride. Yes, it’s just machinery and not worth dying over and yes I can easily replace it but it’s the principle of the matter after all I did for him, I gave him shelter and filled his belly and this is how he chooses to repay me. Greedy b*****d! I’ll show him my form of gratitude.

I swing the keys around my finger. he watches as the momentum builds until they reach the top of my finger and finally slip off and fly high into the air.

I watch as his eyes follow the keys accent.

Got ya!

“It’s called misdirection you fool” I shout as I knock him on his arse with one perfectly timed blow to his right temple.

He scrambles on the floor, reaching for the weapon that eludes his reach.

I place my size 6 on his arm. He lets out a muffled cry. Then begs for his life pleading, “please don’t kill me, I was desperate. You would have done the same if you were in my shoes.”

I stop and think. Yes, he’s right I probably would have done the same but that still doesn’t excuse what he did. He has to die.

I turn to Elle and motion with my finger to turn around. The colour from Joes face drains, tears fill his weary eyes. Again he pleads but I’m playing deaf.

I drop my knee into the centre of his back, wrap my arms around his neck, lift his head then begin to squeeze tightly. I’m like a python holding its prey. The more he struggled the more I increased my grip until I felt the life literally leaving his body. His body becomes limp. I listen to his last breath leave his body saying, “now be with your family Joe.”

I turn to Elle. She still has her back turned to me but I can hear her whimpering which annoys the hell out of me. Doesn’t she realise if I’d let him live he could have tried to car jack us again and that’s something I didn’t need on my mind; I’ve enough worrying about the infected; so with Joe out the way I’ve one less thing to worry about.

Pfft, I don’t know, maybe when she’s older she’ll understand but until then she’s got a sharp learning curve ahead of her. She has to see the bad in people and not just the good. I have to be honest though her heart is pure and I’m not cut from motherly cloth and maybe she’d be better placed with somebody that knows how to love and show her the affection she deserves.

“Elle! Come here girl.”

She turns to face me; tears flood down her cheeks like minute waterfalls.

Elle! “What have I told you about those tears? Now turn them off; remember you’re my right hand girl and my little soldier and what don’t soldiers do?”

Cry! She replies wiping the tears from her eyes.

I smile, “yes that’s right, and why don’t soldier cry?” I ask.

“Because it shows weakness, and weakness is easily exploited” she replies.

I sigh, “that’s my girl, now come here ya daft bugger and give me a hug” I retort holding my arms out.

Bless her she doesn’t need to be asked twice and within a split second I felt her arms squeezing my waist and her head pressed tightly into my stomach.

I hold her tight. The warmth from her breath drifts up and caresses my cheeks almost as if she was kissing them but without actually kissing them if that makes any sense?

I hold her tight and let my fingers slip between her long locks of hair. If she’d been a kitten she would be purring right about now.

I shouldn’t mollycoddle her though because I need her to be strong so with that in mind I pull her arms from my waist and switch my mind set to soldier first then mother figure second and remove the cross bow from my back.

Her eyes widen as the aluminium frame catches the sun and glints before her eyes. She seems curious as I watch her eyes give it the once over.

Do you like it? I got it for you?” I ask.

She smiles then shrugs, “yes it’s lovely. What is it?” she replies sheepishly.

Ha, ha, “so naïve, it’s a crossbow and today I’m going to learn you to fire this bad boy; would you like that?” I ask. 

She smiles and runs her fingers over its elegant lines and replies “yeah, why not.” And with that she extends her hands to receive it.

She checks its weight by jostling it up and down; “nice, nowhere as heavy as the gun you gave me” she says lifting the sight to her eye.

“Right little miss sunshine, back in your seat and let’s find somewhere to fire this bad boy” I say with a smile.

© 2018 Jeff Overton


Author's Note

Jeff Overton
please ignore grammar, i know mistakes have been made and it needs editing which i will do when the book is finished.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on August 5, 2018
Last Updated on August 5, 2018
Tags: horror