Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

A Chapter by Ari McLeren

Chapter Thirteen

 

“No, no, no!  If you twist your arm like that when in this position, you open up your entire torso to my next move.  I’ll have you in the gut before you can blink,” Irin chastised, and then to illustrate her point, she knocked Jared’s sword away and moved her sword tip to his abdomen.  She made every move slow and exact so he could watch her technique.  “Dead,” she declared as she tapped him with the blunted edge. 

 

“F**k, I’m never going to get this!” he groaned as he stepped back, rubbing his forehead in frustration. 

 

“Yes, you will,” she replied deliberately.  “It’s only been five days.  Give yourself some credit.”  In fact, Irin was pretty proud of his resilience so far.  Since the first day they started practicing together, Jared had only taken yesterday off to recoup some much needed strength after the previous three days.  “Now, come on, we’ll try that sequence again.”  She took a few steps away and raised her sword, prepared to start the slow motion pattern again. 

 

“I don’t know how you do it,” Jared marveled quietly as he mimicked her stance.

 

“I do it by recognizing it for the game it is.  You’ve always got to be four steps ahead, and every move you make has to be for both your defense and your offense.  If you forget your defense, you die.  If you forget your offense, you never win, so you die anyway.  If you put them together, you might have the right combination to live.  Let’s teach you how to build that combo.   Now, how would you respond if I were to come at you like this?”  She brought her sword around to come at his torso.  He raised his sword to deflect the blow and alter her forward motion.  “Good!  Next!” 

 

They continued for another quarter of an hour before Irin called it.  “Nice job today,” she commented as she wiped her face with a towel from her bag.  “You might not be able to tell yet, but you’re definitely making progress.”

 

“If you say so,” he replied with a laugh, taking a long draw from his water bottle.  “When should we do this next?” 

 

“I’m thinking Wednesday.  That way you can have tomorrow off while I’m on call,” she explained as they grabbed their gym bags and headed for the door. 

 

“Sounds like a plan,” he agreed as they passed a couple of girls heading into the gym area.  “What do you think about that, anyway?” he asked, indicating the girls’ overly loud conversation about the general announcement that had gone out yesterday.

 

“What, the rogue Weaver?” she replied nonchalantly, even though her heart sped up a little just at the mention.

 

“Yeah, him.  He’s been at the forefront of pretty much all the Company announcements lately.  He sounds like a pretty big deal.”

 

“I don’t really know what to make of him.  All they’ve told us is that he’s not under Company control, and he’s potentially dangerous,” she reminded him.  She purposely left out that she’d had personal dealings with the Company’s criminal numero uno, both documented and not.  The announcements hadn’t revealed who’d discovered him, and she wasn’t about to let anyone know.  The rogue Weaver was all anyone could talk about nowadays, and she had no desire to be swamped by people looking for the nitty gritty details of their encounters.

 

“Don’t you think it’s unnerving, though?  They said he’s been spotted on missions.  What if he’s some kind of spy or something?” 

 

Unfortunately, that idea had already occurred to her, and it didn’t help to be hearing it from someone else.  Her stomach was in knots over the meeting she was supposed to have with him in a little over an hour.  It was all too possible that she could be getting in way over her head with this guy.  The entire Company already thought he was dangerous, and they didn’t even know he could get in and out of their secure building as easily as blinking.  Then again, the Company also hadn’t seen the honest look on his face when he explained to her that he’d never met another person who could Weave. 

 

“Honestly, I think if he were a spy, he wouldn’t have been caught in the act,” she finally replied.

 

Jared shrugged.  “Maybe.  I don’t know.  I just think it’s strange they way he’s come out of nowhere.  It’s a bad sign when the Company doesn’t know about something.”  She could only agree with that.  Then again, everything about this situation was strange. 

 

“Oh well, where are you off to after this?” he asked good naturedly as the elevator doors dinged open and they stepped inside. 

 

“I’m meeting up with a friend for an early lunch.  After that, I don’t know.  It is my day off, after all,” she reminded him. 

 

“What I wouldn’t give for a Monday off,” he sighed wistfully.  “I’ll give you a call to coordinate Wednesday,” he said as the doors opened on three and Irin stepped out. 

 

“Sounds good.  Have a good day.”

 

“Thanks, you too,” he managed to get out before the doors sealed shut, leaving Irin to her thoughts. 

 

With a sigh, she made her way to her room and dumped her bag onto her bed.  Then she proceeded to collapse into a heap next to it, using the quiet of the room to try and still the roiling knots in her stomach.  When that proved futile, she flipped over with a groan to stare at the white ceiling.  What in the world was she doing?  She was getting ready to break pretty much every fundamental code that had been pounded into her since she was seven. 

 

Not for the first time, she contemplated just telling the Commander where Rhys was going to be so he could be brought in for official questioning.  Then she wouldn’t have to worry about being caught and most likely imprisoned.  If only Rhys hadn’t been such a nice guy to her!  She’d seen the way prisoners were treated in the Company, and he didn’t deserve that, especially since his only failing �" so far �" was being different.  For the umpteenth time, she damned her soft heart as she rolled off the bed and headed for the bathroom.  She needed a long, hot shower. 

 

She emerged a short time later, resolute in her decision to meet with Rhys alone �" she just wasn’t sure it was the smartest move she’d ever made.  Forcefully ignoring her remaining doubt, she dressed in jeans, a grey hoodie and her favorite flip flops.  She reached into her nightstand and pulled out a pocketknife; it wasn’t much in the way of protection, but it was better than nothing.  She took one last look around the room to make sure she wasn’t forgetting something, and her eyes caught on her scanner.  She didn’t think she’d need the various abilities of that piece of equipment today, but it went into her front pocket anyway.

 

She headed out into the hallway and toward the elevator as fast as she dared.  She didn’t want to garner unnecessary attention, but she also wanted to get out of there before she lost her nerve.  She thanked her lucky stars when she managed to get down to the first floor and past the entrance barriers without running into her brothers.  If either one had spotted her, he would have immediately known something was amiss, and she probably would have cracked.  Instead, she was able to make her way down the hallway and into the light blue Weaving room.  Ignoring the rest of the people there, she went to the center and brought her hands up in front of her.  In seconds she’d completed her web and drew her hands apart, disappearing in a flash of light.

 

She cracked back into existence in the same beige room she and Jared had used when they went to get Mexican a few days prior, but when she exited the side of the building, she turned to walk in the opposite direction of Rosa’s.  After a few more blocks and a couple of turns, she spotted Hertford Café halfway down the next block.  She pulled out her cell to check the time and noted she was ten minutes early. 

 

Little bells chimed as she pulled open the door, and she inhaled the strong smell of freshly brewed coffee.  She was about to take a seat at the table nearest the door when she caught sight of the table in the shadows of the back corner.  Apparently she wasn’t the only one who was early. 

 

Rhys stood as she neared the table.  “You came,” he breathed with a smile. 

 

“I said I would, didn’t I?” she fairly snapped as she dropped into the seat opposite him.  She couldn’t help but notice his smile drop at her caustic tone, but she wasn’t about to admit how close she’d come to bailing. 

 

Apparently not to be put out completely, he retook his seat and indicated the pot of tea between them.  “Would you like a cup?” 

 

She studied his face for a moment.  “I’m fine for now, thanks,” she finally replied in a much more civil tone. 

 

He shrugged and reached for the pot to refill his cup.  “How have you been?” he asked as he stirred his drink, the teaspoon clinking against the ceramic every so often.  She noted he took his tea with three sugars. 

 

“Honestly, I’ve been a little preoccupied,” she admitted finally.  She tried to keep her nerves out of her voice, but she’d never been very good at hiding her emotions. 

 

His eyes snapped to hers, and she detested the intensity of his gaze while he took the time to tap his spoon on the rim of the cup and then place it on the saucer.  She knew she was letting her tension turn into anger, but did he really have to stare at her like that?

 

“It is because of me, is it not?” he finally asked, and her eyebrows scrunched together in annoyance.  She’d forgotten how observant he could be. 

 

“Well, yeah,” she responded slowly. 

 

She was taken aback by his sigh.  “I truly am sorry.  It seems I have only brought you trouble since we met.  That was not my intention.”

 

She studied his face for a few moments, once more struck by how open and honest his expression was.  Deep down inside she wanted to believe his sincerity, but there was so much at risk.  She didn’t know where she was supposed to find the ability to trust him. 

 

“Look,” she finally said as she leaned forward to cross her arms on the table, “you have to try and see this from my perspective.  Your existence breaks almost every rule that I’ve been taught since I found out I was a Weaver.  You can do things no one’s ever seen before, and that could make you a big threat to both my way of life and that of everyone I know.  I’m not even sure being here with you now is a good idea.  Even if you aren’t some crazy killer, I could get in a lot of trouble for meeting with you like this.”  She started massaging her temples in an effort to ward off the headache she could feel building. 

 

He studied her downturned face for a minute before he replied.  “I am not going to pretend to understand much of what you have said, but I do understand you feel threatened by me.  You must understand that I am equally threatened by you.”  Irin raised her eyes to meet his as he continued, “Since I met you and followed you to this time and place, I have learned you are a part of a large, sophisticated community of people who both know what I can do and can do it as well.  If I were to end up on the wrong side of people like that, I am not sure of the consequences, but I imagine they could be terrible.” 

 

Silence reigned for a few moments as she took the time to process his words.  “I’d never thought about it like that,” she admitted finally.

 

“Maybe you should,” he responded softly. 

 

She studied his face closely, searching for any sign of deception, yet she was unsurprised when she found none.  Making up her mind, she sat back in her seat and laid her arms flat on the table, palms down.  “I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt �" on one condition,” she declared in a tone far braver than she truly felt.  He nodded for her to continue.  “You must promise me that you have no intention to harm me or anyone I know and that you aren’t using me to spy on the Company and our operations.  You can’t take anything I tell you and sell it to our enemies.  What we discuss is simply for the purpose of learning more about one another and the things we don’t yet understand, ok?”  She knew a promise wasn’t much in the way of protection, but she hoped that hearing the words would alleviate some of her guilt.  Seeing that honest expression of his while he said them wouldn’t hurt either. 

 

He contemplated her for a moment.  “I will make you that promise if you make me one in return,” he countered, sitting back and mimicking her posture.  “You must promise me that you are not luring me into a trap. You shall not use the information I share to allow your people to capture me for any purpose.  If I should meet this Company in the future, it shall be on my terms and as a free man.” 

 

“I wish I could make you that promise.  I have no control over what the Company decides to do, but I can promise that if they come after you, it will not be because of me.  I won’t give them the information they need to find you,” she countered, never breaking eye contact. 

 

“Then we agree?” 

 

For the first time since she’d walked into the café, she felt a small smile pull at her lips.  “We agree.”  She was pleased by his answering smile.  “So, where should we start?”

 

“I know it has been mentioned several times, and I have been to the building, but what exactly is this Company?” he asked curiously, reaching for his cooled tea. 

 

She let out a low whistle.  “Starting with the big questions, huh?” she joked as she tried to come up with an appropriate answer.  “The Company…is, as far as Weavers are concerned.  It’s our governing body and the people who ensure our existence remains a secret.  They bring us in as kids to train and educate us.  Then, when we’ve graduated, we either go on to work for them or move out into the regular world and blend in.  There’s one rule above all others, and that is to keep the secret.  They’ve been making sure people follow that rule for thousands of years now.” 

 

“Thousands?” he asked in surprise.  “There’s been an established community of time travelers for that long?”

 

Irin nodded.  “As far as I know.  Before that, there had been smaller communities that existed independently, but it was all joined under the name of the Company in 33CE.  They’ve got copies of the original charter in the library.  I suspect every Company building has its own copy.”

 

His eyebrows contracted in confusion.  “How many buildings are there?”  He thought this Company was just the building he’d already visited.

 

“I don’t know the exact number, but hundreds �" all over the world.  There’s at least one in every major city, and plenty besides that…” she trailed off when she saw his shocked expression.  “What?”

 

“I just �" I never imagined there could be so many.  I spent my whole life thinking there was no one else like me, but now I find out there have always been thousands of others.  How is that possible?  How did I not know?”  His tone was quiet but desperate in the face of a world that no longer made sense. 

 

Irin’s heart clenched at the emotion in his voice, and she wished she could give him the answers he sought.  Instead, all she could say was, “I don’t know.  I wish I did, but I have no idea.”  Her heart sank at his crestfallen look, but he nodded in understanding.  Suddenly feeling overwhelmed in the dim atmosphere of the café, she pushed back her chair and stood up. His eyes shot up to her in question.  “Come on, let’s get out of here.  I need some fresh air.”  Silently, he rose and followed her out into the sunny day.

 

© 2012 Padfoot101



© 2012 Ari McLeren


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

173 Views
Added on December 24, 2012
Last Updated on December 24, 2012
Tags: Young adult, sci-fi, fantasy, romance, paranormal, time travel, action


Author

Ari McLeren
Ari McLeren

San Diego



About
I am a 25 year old Southern California girl. I do math and science for fun, I like practicing my Spanish and I can quote Shakespeare, Austen and Rowling. Basically I'm a walking contradiction, and I.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Ari McLeren


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Ari McLeren


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Ari McLeren