1

1

A Chapter by Alexis L. Thompson

          “Lyra!”

My mother was calling for me from the kitchen. She is always waking me up too early on Saturday. I got out of bed with my head still in a fog. Walking out of my bedroom, I nearly trip on the dog.

I love my little dog. She is the perfect lapdog with a beautiful brown coat. She likes to play and when I’m sad or scared she knows. I notice she’s picking up on my nervous vibe. Today is going to be a long day.

I get downstairs to the kitchen and find my mom setting waffles on a plate. She motions me to sit down so I do.

“Have you picked out what you’re going to wear for the government?” mom asks

“not yet” I say

“you have to choose soon and get in the shower.”

“Okay, mom. I will.”

          Today is the day I have to go in front of  the government and sing. See, ever since after world war four, the United States government has taken the whole world over. The war caused a loss of a lot of money so the US created a system and split the continents into seven sections. North America is ranked one. It’s the highest end place to live. Riches beyond belief. Then there’s South America. That’s two. Third is Australia. Number four is Europe. Five is Africa. East Asia is six. Seventh is west Asia. The poorest place to be. I live in the middle in Europe. Rank five, but after today I won’t unless that’s where I’m put after my government test.

          At the age of five every kid chooses their career path and gets taught it until the age of sixteen. That’s my age. The kids then at sixteen on a scheduled date go in front of the government and get tested based on their skill. Mine is singing. I have to sing for the government. The better I am, the higher ranked I will be and I will live in that chosen rank for the rest of my life.

          Mom sets the waffles in front of me and smiles. “You’ll do fine.” She says. That makes me feel a little better but the singing is not what I’m worried about. It’s the fact that tomorrow will be my last day with my mom if I’m not kept in rank five. Sure she will be able to call me if I’m in a richer rank but I’m still going to miss her greatly.

          I eat the waffles and go to take a shower. The bathroom is getting warmed up for me when I walk in. It’s so nice that I sit down and absorb the warmth as I get undressed. “Shower on.” I say and the shower turns on. I get up and get in and let the water adjust to my liking. I am lathered with soap suds and rinsed off. My hair is shampooed and conditioned and washed out.

          When I’m done, I get out and walk toward the sink where the drying panel is and I am dried off with a strong gust of air. It takes about five seconds to dry. I take advantage of these things because I know there is a chance that after today I may not get a chance to use this shower again.

          I walk to my room, Towel wrapped around me, and program an outfit from my closet. Skinny Jeans and a circle top with a floral print. I program my shoe rack for knee high, pleather, black boots. I get dressed and go downstairs. Mom looks at me and sighs. “I can’t believe today is the day.” She says and she hugs me before I leave for my meeting with the government.

          The government building in rank five is thirty minutes away. I get into the car and watch my mom wave to me as I pull out of the driveway. I wave back trying not to cry as I leave her.

          What’s going to happen if I am put in a different rank? Dad left us. She will be all alone. I hate to think that.

          I start to sing the song I’m going to perform for the government just for more practice. The closer I get to the building, the shakier my voice gets. I’m so nervous by the time I find a parking space near the door. I get out of the car and walk into the building. It’s a big white building with silver trimmings. On the inside its walls and dome ceiling are chrome and the floor is marble. I’d love to see rank one’s government building.

          I walk down the hall to a big room where three government officials sit and stare. I start shaking and try to keep myself from fainting. This is going to be an interesting experience.



© 2012 Alexis L. Thompson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

101 Views
Added on April 24, 2012
Last Updated on April 24, 2012


Author

Alexis L. Thompson
Alexis L. Thompson

Waterloo, NY



About
Shoot. I'm 28 now! I haven't updated this in 6 whole years! more..

Writing