True Self

True Self

A Story by soaringdiver34
"

An analysis of how living from within to find one's potential is the key to finding fulfillment, happiness, and success.

"

Some say that there are multiple versions of the self that exist. The one perceived by others, the one perceived by the self, and the true self. By following this doctrine, one is forced to take into account the views and opinions held by others in conjunction with the self. By allowing the wordless thoughts and opinions of over 7 billion people to have dominion over one’s own self, one tends to become lost. As human beings we are all quite different. Our brains are enormously complex organs that direct a body with numerous intricacies. We are made up of matter, of oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, calcium, and phosphorous. But we are also made up of our environment, of our memories, our moods, our wishes and our woes.

A human lives both in the real world and in their own head for the duration of the time they are alive. This pair occurs simultaneously. It would not do however, to assume that these are two different selves. But instead two parts of a whole. As we live our lives and perceive the world around us, we often encounter numerous other beings going about their lives. While their actions may have an effect on our choices, decisions, and the events that occur around us and involving us; our ability of free will and high level cognition is proof that we are all individuals. The self within one is the only true self.

The self that exists in the minds of others through judgments, prospecting, and assumptions is not the true self. Judgements made and opinions formed from the exterior of one without ample knowledge is meaningless. The true self is the self that is perceived by oneself, and the only self that holds true meaning. By focusing on one’s own goals and ambitions without sparing a second thought about how those around you may perceive you, the true essence of one’s self begins to take fruition. Without the influence of how others perceive the self, one is free to grow and learn who and what their self is. In doing so, one can hope to find what they assume to be their meaning in life. By forming one’s self without the influence of others, a true self is made. This can not be done however without first assuming others are doing the same. In order to achieve the maximum self within one, it is paramount to regard others with dignity and respect so that they may as well develop their self without the negative influence of others.

Interfering with another in terms of disrespect and distractions penetrates deeper than an emotional harm. This interference disrupts the flow of energy that fuels the development of the self. It would not be wise however, to isolate oneself from others and become a recluse. Instead, one must continue to interact with their environment in a positive way, by promoting their self interests as well as respecting the paths others take, one can hold true that they are living their best life. It is also critical to analyze the opportunities placed in front of oneself. Indeed, the path one walks through life is not invariably solitary. As the path is walked, one often comes across others on their path. The participation of others on one’s path can provide opportunities for further development of the self. It is undeniably true however that overlooking the negativity, bigotry, and hatred is paramount as others come across one’s path.

Upon embarking upon the quest to find one’s true self, it is easy to find oneself in a state of frenzied confusion. After a period of introspection is completed, it is not unlikely for one to find oneself in a state of aimless wandering. This confusion can lead to fear which can in turn lead to irrationality. The irrationality that is caused by the aimless wandering of those without a firm grip of who they are is often the cause of mental lapses and life altering mistakes. The fear of aimless wandering can also lead one into a state of static complacency. It would not do to liken complacency with contentment. Contentment comes once the true self is realized, whereas complacency comes to fruition in the absence of the realization of the true self. The irrationality caused by the confusion and fear of aimlessness is to be avoided at all cost. Indeed, at these times, cognition is one’s greatest asset and to squander that by letting one’s emotions take hold is foolishness. It is critical to stay optimistic in one’s quest and keep the end goal in mind. One’s current situation is not one’s final destination.

Where there are humans, there is conflict. As such, it is common to come across negativity, hatred, and bigotry in modern times. As the true self is pursued, so should the negativity, hatred, and bigotry be ignored. In addition, it is recognizable to mention that knowledge and learning are some of the greatest tools during one’s pursuance of the true self. Indeed, introspection is the tool to be considered and practiced primarily. For these reasons it is necessary to give only a miniscule degree of attention to the hatred, negativity, and bigotry. The attention one gives to this antagonism is only to learn the vice of these actions. To learn from these is to only learn to refrain from these vices. Regardless of the social progress made through these methods, putting others down puts one farther from the true self, and disrupts the pursuance of the true self for the one whom the negativity is being directed at. Nevertheless, as humans, the complexity that makes up our anatomy is enormously convoluted. For this reason, each person has unique qualities to offer others and the world. Learning and gaining knowledge from other persons’ specialities can aid one in their quest. It is vital to recognize that over analysis of other’s qualities can be just as detrimental as acknowledging the perception of the self by others. For, it is from within that the majority of the true self manifests. In order to develop the self to a maximum degree, absolute individualism is to be the intention. As the true self begins to manifest, so too does the nature of virtues one holds and possesses. One can be sure these are true and full as they have been developed from within without the help or harm of another. As one begins to develop and recognize the true self that takes hold, then and only then do they begin on the path of achieving their maximum potential. Once one recognizes their true self and allows the true self to manifest and mature, then they may direct their attention primarily outwards. As the true self is revealed, so too are the true desires, skills, and wishes of a person. Fulfillment should not be an object one seeks outwardly. Fulfillment should first come from within, as the true self is realized, and then through the true self, from the world in the forms realized by developing the true self. A person can not reach their full potential until they realize their true self. Persons wander and ponder their meaning and existence for they don't truly understand themselves. This is why it is imperative to allow one’s true self to come to fruition. The manifestation of the true self provides one with clarity and focus on one’s true desires, aims, goals, and loves. Without this direction and clarity, a person can easily become lost; forced to pursue endeavors that do not truly coincide with a person’s actual meaning in life.

It is worth mentioning that absolute individualism is nigh impossible for the average person. By setting this as a goal, one can still narrow their focus to within, and disregard that that does not matter. Absolute individualism is not the end goal, but a stepping stone to achieve fulfillment and meaning through the realization of the true self. As humans, making comparisons to others comes nearly as natural as breathing or eating. One must fight these impulses to compare, to judge, and to listen to negativity. To accept these shortcomings is to accept not failure, but instead the absence of the highest level of personal success; in other words, potential.

One may assume that after a degree of introspection is practiced that the path to realizing one’s true self will present itself. While this speculation may be true for some, it is not true for all and one should not expect their path to become clear readily. As introspection is consistently practiced with the goal of absolute individualism firm in one’s mind one can expect to find their true self eventually, but as humans we are all different. For some of us, our paths are not always clear. For some it takes time and additional effort. It would not do then, to lose patience and give up hope. For, finding one’s true self is arguably the most important quest one embarks upon. With individualism and kindness firm in one’s mind on this quest, so too should patience be practiced.

Different degrees of exterior focus is to be practiced by different individuals. There is no one size fits all approach that puts one on the path to reaching one’s potential, but instead guidelines that assist one in achieving such. After a significant degree of introspection is practiced, if one finds that the individual within is not the individual that is desirable to the self, additional outward focus is to be practiced. As mentioned above, each encounter with other persons presents a opportunities to learn and grow. If the individual one finds oneself to be is not desirable, more is to be learned and understood about the world. Knowledge is to to be pursued in this situation second only to inner peace.

Once a realization of the true self is reached, one must then decide if they are content with what they have found. In a world with so many variables surrounding each individual, it is easy to feel powerless. In this quest however, the individual is in the driver’s seat. If the true self that has manifested is not the one that the individual hoped to find, changes are to be made. As mentioned above, as humans we are made up of chemicals, of matter, but also of our environment, our memories, our wishes, and woes. While the quest to manifest the true self is practiced and negativity is ignored, once that true self is achieved it is important to ascertain whether those one surrounds oneself with are those one feels contribute positively to one’s life. The one true change one can make is that that is within. In order to make this change from within, often times changes on the exterior are necessary. It is not possible to make this change properly however, until the true self is truly realized. As such, knowledge and inner peace are to be pursued relentlessly once the true self is realized. By broadening one’s view further by interacting with more persons, it is possible that through learning from others that inner peace can be found. If the true self is realized and inner peace is not found, the quest is far from complete. Reaching one’s potential cannot be done without true happiness. True happiness cannot be reached without inner peace.

To disregard one’s potential is a recipe to take one off the path to developing the true self. To pursue one’s maximum potential is a gift back to one’s creator. To bypass this thinking by living for and within others is to destroy the gifts one is given. To walk the path to personal success, knowledge, and enlightenment is to discover all the true gifts one is given at birth. To leave this gift unopened is an insult to oneself and one’s creator in the highest regard . To live from within first, and then to direct focus to the outside is to walk the path to achieving maximum potential and personal success. To accept the negativity, hatred, and bigotry is to poison oneself, and thus foster a seed of resentment for the life one lives. To reach one’s potential is to achieve the meaning to life.


© 2018 soaringdiver34


Author's Note

soaringdiver34
Disclaimer: this text is not so much a story as it is a philosophical theory. Feedback and critique is welcomed and encouraged. I have a goal in mind to develop this into a substantial theory to publish eventually. Intellectual feedback is what I'm seeking.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

44 Views
Added on July 16, 2018
Last Updated on July 17, 2018

Author

soaringdiver34
soaringdiver34

Bloomington, IN



About
I am a young aspiring writer with a love of reading science fiction, action/adventure, thriller, and philosophical books. I enjoy writing poetry and philosophy. more..

Writing
A Day A Day

A Poem by soaringdiver34