Entry 9

Entry 9

A Chapter by paulbrec
"

The last recovered entry.

"

ENTRY 9, JULY 14, 2046

NEW HAMILTON, ONTARIO

It has been a while since I have written in this journal. I have been busy. Busy with my new family, in my new home, in the new city of Hamilton.

New Hamilton, population of 33,487 normal people, all hypoglycemic, all taking medicine, all virus-free.

We are all working together to try to rebuild the human race. 

My wife and I have a nice house on Mountain Brow Boulevard, overlooking the city.

We have a great community going here. Nobody has any money problems, because there is no money. Everything operates on a barter-type system. Everyone contributes to the community in some way.

We all worked very hard to clean up the city. Someone got the electricity going. We now have power to 85% of New Hamilton. We have people farming for food, and we even got a radio and the TV station working.

Last evening, the TV station showed this really old, stupid movie called "Star Wars". It was from 1970-something. It had space travel in it. They stopped making films like that a long time ago. We all know that space travel for any living being is impossible. Not because of lack of technology, but simply because living things were not meant to be in space. Every time we sent a living thing into space for a long period of time, it came back dead. Since the whole idea of space travel is idiotic, they stopped making such movies. However, I have to admit, it looked pretty darn good when they broadcast it on reactive-argon hologram. It just goes to show that fancy technology can even make old garbage look good.

Well, that is all I have for this entry.

**********

I closed the journal, and put it back on the shelf.

I remember writing in this journal. Such a long time ago.

I looked over at my wife. The Supervirus took her last night. I was beginning to not feel well myself, so I knew it would not be long before I joined her.

You see, taking Diamicron, and, as we found out, Crestor (High-cholesterol medicine), built up resistance to theSupervirus, but the virus was still in our bodies. We were carriers.

A couple months ago, we ran out of medicine. We did not have anyone who knew how to reconstitute it. We travelled to other cities and towns to get more. However, when you have over 33,000 people taking these medicines twice a day, it runs out fast.

We also discovered that the Supervirus was a mutated common virus. Two, actually. 

How do viruses mutate? Well, all living things evolve. Viruses are living things. It happened that someone with a common influenza virus, also contracted Hepatitis-B. The two somehow mutated together to form theSupervirus. As it turned out, all we would have had to do was vaccinate everyone for both viruses, and that would have kept it from spreading. Unfortunately, we did not know that until it was too late. 

Now, the remaining population of New Hamilton was slowly dying. 

There was a knock on the door, and although I was not well, I answered it anyway.

The person at the door was very familiar. She was one of the ladies from Broadview.

She looked like she was in bad shape, she coughed, and said, "I finally...found you...I just want to tell...tell...you..."

She coughed violently, and then collapsed right there on my patio.

I closed the door and proceeded back upstairs to the bedroom.

I crawled into bed next to my dead wife, then slowly drifted to sleep...never to awake.

Meanwhile, back in Toronto, Evil Me was sitting in the food court of a shopping mall having lunch. Hanging from one of his pockets was a piece of paper. There was a lot of writing on it. He took it out, and proceeded to wipe his face with it. He then threw it to the floor.

On the top of the paper was written, "ENTRY 7 LATE SPRING 2044, THE AREA ONCE KNOWN AS THE UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO". The rest was unreadable. 

Evil Me continues to look for companionship, and has no signs of any viral infections.



© 2012 paulbrec


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on October 26, 2012
Last Updated on October 26, 2012


Author

paulbrec
paulbrec

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I have been writing for about 5 years. My writing is mostly for film and TV, and I specialize in comedy and science fiction, but I do sometimes write drama. I currently do IT support for a software.. more..

Writing
Entry 1 & 2 Entry 1 & 2

A Chapter by paulbrec


Entry 3,4,5 Entry 3,4,5

A Chapter by paulbrec


Entry 6 Entry 6

A Chapter by paulbrec