The Devil�s Twin

The Devil�s Twin

A Story by Paul

                            

Have you ever wondered what it would look like if you ever found out the devil has a twin somewhere out there? In fact your religious leaders would dare not tell you this for a million dollars. It’s a grand conspiracy, a secret worth all the goldmines in the world. What if they were identical twins? That surely could make things pretty worse. Once upon a time immemorial, shortly after the big bang, wise Mr. Time looked into the future as has always been his habit. Getting old was no pretty business and so he decided to go marry Ms. Nature, a much younger person than himself. It was such a lovely wedding and got attended by personalities like fire, water, wind and even some very important personalities from outer space.  No sooner had the guests returned, was Mrs. Time delivered of two healthy male twins. As Mr. and Mrs. Time began to age, they no longer could tolerate their young children’s disputes and decided to send both away from home. Instead of reconciling, they fought the more and both went different ways. One went on to become a pastor and the other went right on, yes right on and became the devil. All along, the two had left long generational lineage of devils and pastors.

 Though the two brothers were immortals, their offspring were mortals because they hadn’t their father’s blessing, the only thing that could have made their own children immortals. As the two grew older, their younger generations were tired of their family names and adopted fanciful looking names and titles. The younger pastors preferred titles like Right Reverend, Dr.  and Prof. appended in front of their names. As for the younger devils, they were quite content having Mr. appended in front of their names. However, a long standing tradition with the pastor’s lineage was that once a son had taken up the vow to preach, he would also teach his congregation that the devil is such a hideous looking monster with two horns and a tail. Soon the devil was labeled an enemy and painted that way. While the more aggressive pastors concerned themselves with binding and casting devils into invisible hells, the more conservative ones and their congregations were always blaming the devils for their misfortunes. Though the devils went about their businesses, sometimes not so quietly, they were becoming tired of having their names being called day and night by pastors and their congregations.”What shall we do about this, you merchants of darkness” the immortal devil asked among his great grand children. “I would suggest you go visit one of the pastors in his church.” contributed one brilliant devil.  “Yes, chorused the remaining.”But before you go, to make it formal, I think you would need to fix an appointment” added the youngest among them. It was the only meeting that they had had in a thousand years. In fact, it was a global conference of all the devils on  the planet.

  It’s being a very warm sunny morning like every other day on Church Lane Avenue. The birds were flying as usual in the blue peaceful sky.  The only thing that appeared out of place was how early Pastor Smith’s son had woken out of bed. He had seen a devil, a real devil. “Aren’t you going to church? The Pastor asked his son. “I  ...I  ...had a dream last night dad” replied the son with his eyes staring intently at his father, the only pastor on Church Lane Avenue. If there was ever anything the inhabitants at church Lane Avenue were known for, it was for their noisy religious early morning prayers. Because it bothered the serenity of the early morning atmosphere, it also disturbed the morning devotion of the birds too.  “Did you say you had a dream?” asked the pastor again. “I dreamt the devil is coming to church today, his son returned. “What?! Are you telling me the devil is coming to church today?” “Yes, he said it‘s going to be a very tough battle between you and him”. The whole thing sounded like some kind of fairy tale. One thing Pastor Smith had learnt about his son was to spot out whenever he was kidding. On this one, the seriousness was right there on his face. “How did you know he was the devil?” asked the dad with his hand pointing at an old painted caricature of the devil. “No, he was wearing a black suite and a tie; exactly the type you are wearing now.” “Before I forget, he was also a very handsome chap too” added Smith Junior. With that the pastor not wanting his son see any more of the devil than he had seen in the dream, hurried up to prepare for the encounter.  

While the sermon was going on, the pastor was busy scanning from one pew to another until he saw a guy that was exactly dressed like him. That must be the devil, he thought within himself. Now the immortal devil was a very clever personality. Having passed by the church many times in disguise, he had learnt how early the church’s gate was usually opened. He had also studied the pastor’s attire and heard so many times what the pastor always told his members about him. While Pastor Smith left his own teenage son at home, the devil brought his great grand teenage son to church on this eventful Sunday morning. While Mr. Young Devil was dressed like the pastor, his great grand father was right there on the stage hiding behind the curtains. Costumed the same way they have always painted him, a two horned monstrous looking guy with a dinosaur-like looking tail, he looked really fearful. As the pastor preached, he stammered occasionally whenever his eyes caught the devil’s great grandson. After managing with a few misquotations here and there, he finally came to the benediction. As soon as the Pastor beckoned the congregation to rise for the closing prayers, the devil bolted out from behind the curtains simultaneously pouncing on the pastor and shouting “I am the devil”! With that there was pandemonium in the whole church as “spirit filled” members ran through the gate and windows with many resulting casualties. Thus a service that had so well begun ended without a benediction. At the end of the whole episode, news of what had happened had spread quickly like a wild fire throughout Church Lane Avenue. Guess what, the next morning was as silent as a grave yard. I didn’t say there were no devotions because the birds were also thanking God for a serene dawn. I know you would like to know what happened the next Sunday. There was not even one of them in church. The congregation had seen a real devil, not a painted one, the kind that usually hung up on their walls.

 

© 2008 Paul


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow.......i can;'t say how good it is or the world will explode with passion

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 27, 2008

Author

Paul
Paul

Abuja, Nigeria



About
I am an Engineer by profession who became a writer and poet by intuition and discovery. I personally love wrting. writing is fun for me.Currently my strenght lies in poetry. I write short stories occa.. more..

Writing
Religion Religion

A Poem by Paul