Short story: When is a thought not a thought, and when is a thought really a thought?

Short story: When is a thought not a thought, and when is a thought really a thought?

A Story by zennedpen
"

A story about a Zen master who tries to think about what a thought really is, and concludes that a thought is not really a thought, just a transformed form of consciousness.

"



The Zen master, Riffling Ripocke, had compiled a small booklet of sayings, with his own analysis of his ideas about the truth of these sayings, or not.

The first one was:

"We are our thoughts, or what we are thinking about."

Now, Riffling knew that we were in fact far more than our just being our thoughts, but what effect did our holding of various thoughts have on the real us, anyway.

Could the running of certain programs, actually change the programmer?

Could having various thoughts, change the thinker?

He thought, no, but, then again, he was not really so sure of this, either.

For after all, even the great Buddha, himself had thought that this idea was true:

Buddha is quoted as having said:

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world."

Other great spiritual masters have even said the opposite of this though, and they have even advised us to just ignore our thoughts.

The thinker thinks that thoughts are important to him, because they seem to be always present.

But thoughts do not arise in the thinker. 

The thinker only thinks them. 

Then, though, if the thinker tries to own them, then they can affect the thinker, and who he thinks that he is.

Thoughts are like emanations of consciousness, arising all of the time, as consciousness waves. 

We just more often just tune into a thought. 

"We never originate them, in ourselves, or do we?",

he thought, while thinking that, 

"Well, I just originated that thought in me, didn't I now?"

The consciousness waves create our minds, which our mind then recreates as thoughts, sort of describing the waves, and their movement, and there being in us, and then we try to own the thoughts, as well our trying to own our mind, as well. 

"A truth is a truth, as much as a thought is a thought,"

he thoughtfully thought.

We do have thoughts, and some do originate in the consciousness within us, but some thoughts also come from our mind, which processes the love, reaching into it, from our heart, transforming feelings of truth into words of truth, which can be spoken then as thoughts of truth, but really they are not thoughts either, just love trying to be described in thought forms by the mind.

"So," 

he thought in conclusion,

"I am not really thinking here at all." 

"We are just using the mind as another sense organ to pick up thoughts, either from our hearts, sending them to us us feelings, or from consciousness, sending them to us as consciousness waves, that we transform into thoughts, then thinking that they were our own thoughts, when all we have done is to turn something else into a thought, via a process of our minds."

Photo Credit: The photos used in this article were sourced from the free media site, pixabay.com

© 2020 zennedpen


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

21 Views
Added on October 5, 2020
Last Updated on October 5, 2020
Tags: short story, Zen, Zen master, consciousness, thoughts

Author

zennedpen
zennedpen

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia



About
On line writer, on various writing sites, for the best part of nearly 20 years now. more..

Writing