Where's the party (from Punk Minneapolis)

Where's the party (from Punk Minneapolis)

A Story by Peter Joseph Swanson
"

an excerpt

"

(this excerpt from my published novel is censored for the internet)


Becky asked Raven, “Are you going to cut your hair into a mohawk for the Rooster Party this year, or are you going to just hair gel it up like the rest of the yuppie poseurs around these days. It’s so long now it would touch the rafters if it stuck straight up.”


Raven became haughty. “I will not do a mohawk. They have become so old that my mom asked me if she should give the poodle one, since the old bi#### across the street dyed a black mohawk on her ugly pink dog, and mom wants to outdo her. Where I grew up they’re all so rich they can’t think of anything else to do but how to deform their dogs better than anybody else.”


Becky laughed. “So you’re not wearing a pink mohawk. Okay.”


Raven said, “I might just wear a cape to the party!”


Mark said, “Do that and some real punker will put a match to it.”


“F### that!” Raven chuckled. “Where is the Rooster Party going to be this year? And when? Anybody know?”


Becky said, “I don’t know but I better find out about it. I’m f###'n cool enough, that’s for sure.”


Sandra wrinkled up her nose. “The Rooster Party is getting kind of tired. You’re right that it’s all fake mohawks these days�"or people shave their heads for only one night and then can’t wait for it to grow back, their eye on the next trend. What if one year they just forget to have the party and say the punk rock scene here is finally dead?”


Raven nodded. “The 80s are really f###’n over already.”


Becky frowned. “You are all sh##s! Punk will never die! It’s just too cool! We need something bad-a## like punk to be a cure to the awful suburbs. You just don’t know how stupid their idea of fun is. They are such dweebs. Have you heard anything about where the Rooster Party’s going to be?”


Sandra answered, “Nope. It’s always last minute. They can’t plan ahead for a space for it. You never know when they’re going to pick a place but then it gets condemned.”


Raven agreed, “It’s getting harder and harder to find a place to party like that anymore.”


Becky stuck out her lower lip. “I want to sing at the party. I wanna grab the mic stand like Wendy O and go punk rock nuts!”


Sandra looked at Becky as if she couldn’t imagine her being forceful enough to throw around a mic stand. “Sure.”


Raven smiled. “I just want a cool place to get wasted.”


Mark added, “Again.”


Sandra boisterously sang with Becky, pretending loud guitars were jangling. “I don’t care about Mary, the loser, the f###’n old drunk. I don’t care about anybody who isn’t f###’n f### punk!”

 

http://media-files.gather.com/images/d144/d775/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

 


Read the back cover blurb & reviews at Amazon!


http://www.amazon.com/Punk-Minneapolis-Peter-Joseph-Swanson/dp/1600761682/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1295542972&sr=1-1

 

 

© 2011 Peter Joseph Swanson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm a classic rocker myself, however I enjoyed the read, and completely related right away, I'd read the whole thing.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wonderful. You have a talent for humorous and satiric writing, which comes naturalinstead of forced or stilted. Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


love it, just may have to look for it cuz i wanna read more! great work.
p.s. punk is awesomeeee. that is all. lol :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


i gave it a read and found it thoroughly enjoyable..planning to buy a copy and read the rest !!

Posted 13 Years Ago


LOL. I have been accused of being punk. I grew up in South Florida punker scene with lotsa mohawks and plenty fakers.

I like the story. It has a nice feel to it. the characters seem believable in this short excerpt. Maybe I'll buy acopy and give it a read.

Write on!
r.G.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Well, I have no personal knowledge of the punk life/world but you do seem to have captured the flavor. I know, how could I possibly know that? But even more than the punk essence, there is something which I can't yet find the words for which evokes something in me, close to memory, but obviously not. I also like the rooster referecnce...since I am new owner/CEO of Rooster Haven Farm. :) Ps - thanks for your review.

Posted 13 Years Ago


where can I find the entire novel?
love the lyric at the end there...

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

223 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 20, 2011
Last Updated on January 20, 2011

Author

Peter Joseph Swanson
Peter Joseph Swanson

Minneapolis, MN



About
I'm a fabulous published novelist! Woot! more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I I

A Poem by Robin


I Wonder I Wonder

A Poem by OT


Prime Prime

A Poem by Robin