The Haunted Glass House

The Haunted Glass House

A Story by Peter Joseph Swanson
"

a novel that is a ghost story

"

This is an excerpt from my latest novel, out now in paperback, By The Light Of The Carnival,

 

Joe thought Carlos was crazy. Then he just wondered if that’s how most people from that religion talked. The Baptists he knew didn’t talk much except about their tractors and crops, guns and fishing boats. As they got near the end of the aisle to the last attraction, The Emperor’s Glass House, Joe noticed there were no worms before it. “Lucky us.”


“Where’d they all go? I didn’t see any birds.” Carlos walked around the trailer.

“There’s no worms. They sucked straight down to Hell!”


“They reincarnated.”


“Don’t get smart.”


Joe stood up and stretched his back. “I don’t care why there’s no worms right here. Just be glad. We’re done.” He walked away to dump the can into the woods again and then returned to Carlos.


Carlos pointed up at the trailer. “Nobody who works here likes to go into that place. Not for nothin’. So you might get bossed into cleaning the fingerprints off the glass. The new people get that chore. And you’re too new to be afraid.”


Joe regarded the maze, able to see through all the glass to the back wall, from where he stood outside. “It does look a bit claustrophobic in there. And just damn irritating, I suppose. Nobody wants to be the one who does the windows.”


“It has a past, that attraction. It came from Europe. They replaced all the s**t inside with new modern plastic glass stuff that don’t break, but that didn’t take out the devil ghost.”


“Devil ghost? Yeah right. Try to scare me. It won’t work.”


Carlos pointed at it. “I don’t have to scare you. The place can do that all for itself.”


“So… that’s a haunted Hindu glass house?”


“No! There are no such things in Hinduism. That’s just sitting there. It somehow got haunted in spite of, or… regardless of reincarnation and things. It has nothing to do with Hinduism or anything like that.”


Joe rubbed his chin. “So… it’s just haunted.” Then he remembered he’d been touching worms. He rubbed his chin on the shoulder of his t-shirt.


“They say it’s haunted. I didn’t make that up. That’s what they say.”


Joe frowned. “The power of suggestion is what you’re doing. You’re trying to make things seem more than they are around here to make it more exciting than it is. And you don’t turn into vampires at the end of the week, either.”


“Suit yourself.”


Joe continued, “You can make anything seem scary by making scary stories about it. I once had a dramatic uncle who made up all kinds of monsters for the barn and woods, outhouse and places. He made me afraid to go anywhere. But then I wised up and realized how much of my time he’d wasted with his spook stories, since being afraid makes you walk into places really slow.”




http://media-files.gather.com/images/d949/d851/d746/d224/d96/f3/full.jpg

 


Check out the review and blurb:


http://www.amazon.com/Light-Carnival-Peter-Joseph-Swanson/dp/1600762972/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299978493&sr=8-1

 

 

 

© 2011 Peter Joseph Swanson


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! Nice work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Just enough to pique this reader's interest for more. I'm liking it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


A intriguing story well told...nicely done :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


'Joe rubbed his chin. “So… it’s just haunted.” Then he remembered he’d been touching worms. He rubbed his chin on the shoulder of his t-shirt.'

That brought a great big smile to my face. Reminds me of some Baptists I know!

P.S--no I'm not a Baptist--but I do know some of them.. LOL

Posted 13 Years Ago


I really like the characterisation in this, how their different points of view are expressed in contrasting voices, but most of all I like the way it starts with Joes thoughts on his first impressions of Carlos whilst they work and then develops its story line, characterisation and visual scene through the interaction between the characters... just a little information at a time... it carries the story forward with great pace and suspense.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very good. I lived in a haunted house once, the babysitter from town would turn every light in the place and every tv and radio on when she watched our son.

The narrative style is great in this, it is comfortable to read, I want to read more. The charactors are believable, the narrative line raises information to the story well also. I personally have a real writers block going, havent been able to write anything (except poems, whish isn't "writing" in a way) so, keep it up, I will read more. thanks raining

Posted 13 Years Ago


The last thought in your story is masterful. I love truisms. Being afraid does make you walk into places slowly. Nice job. I'd like to read the whole book at some point.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Great title, great read..
Interesing characters to boot.
Looking forward to checking
out the whole story from beginning
to end...

Posted 13 Years Ago


To Robin
Yeah, religion sucks.

Checking out "By The Light of The Carnival" Seems like my type of thing

Posted 13 Years Ago


interesting!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

630 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 13, 2011
Last Updated on March 13, 2011

Author

Peter Joseph Swanson
Peter Joseph Swanson

Minneapolis, MN



About
I'm a fabulous published novelist! Woot! more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Died On Stage Died On Stage

A Poem by OT


flight flight

A Poem by Siddhartha


Deeper Deeper

A Poem by Robin