9. In France

9. In France

A Chapter by Peter Rogerson
"

Stella and Percival start their first holiday together, and in their 80's

"

STELLA‘S AUTUMN

9. In France

Stella was certain of one thing as the time for their holiday approached and that was packing should be done carefully and nothing forgotten and most preferably by a woman. So she made quite sure that not only did she pack her own holiday essentials but she also oversaw Percival’s, making sure he didn’t forget stuff she knew he’d feel lost without, like his battery operated electric shaver and toothbrush.

Then there was the matter of what the Jimson brochure described as an overnight bag. They were to spend a night half way to the Dordogne in a French hotel not so far from the capital, Paris, itself The driver would never want to unload the entire load of suitcases for a brief stop en route to their final destination when a simple bag containing underwear etc was all that was necessary.

Stella was an expert at getting her mind round the issue even though the journey to see tha Lascaux caves was her first long coach trip. A previous holiday abroad had been by air, with Peter on hand to make sure she was okay.

Packed, they were eventually ready to leave for their first holiday together. A phone call had told them that they were not leaving on the day they expected but shortly before midnight of the day before.

Percival was to drive to the Jimson depot where he would park behind a security gate along with other travellers. When he expressed shock at the hour he was told he would appreciate such an early start and arrive at the overnight hotel while it was still daylight rather in pitch darkness.

The journey to Dover was mostly under the cover of darkness and accompanied by a great deal of snoring, and light was breaking in the east as the driver wound through the streets of Dover towards the ferry terminal. From there an annoying number of uniformed officials wanted to examine their passports, and the coach eventually lined up facing the open seas, waiting to board a ferry to take them to Calais.

Once on board the ship their coach parked close to a lift that was to take mor disabled or elderly passengers to the passenger decks where they could lounge for the two or so hours that it took to cross the narrow strip of sea that separates France from England.

Be warned, babe, it can get a bit choppy once we’re away from land,” advised Percival once they were sitting near a window that looked out over what seemed to be quite flat water.

I don’t think I get sea sick,” replied Stella.

And she didn’t, not on this trip during which Percival's worst fears apropos the behaviour of the seas failed to materialise. Instead the crossing was calm and even pleasant

The sea journey over, the passengers returned to their vehicle where the driver Bill Weigh advised them to adjust their watches by an hour, leaving BST behind.

Don’t worry,” he said with a grin, “we’ll get it back next week when we return this way.

The drive through the first part of France was peaceful, the traffic light and there wa a great deal of green foliage bordering the road.

They paused after a couple of hours or so at a service station for a toilet break and a chance for the hungrier passenger to buy sandwiches, baguettes or anything else that pleased them.

They’re a bit much for me,” suggested Stella, indicating a half-sized baguatte,” but they do look nice. How about we share one?”

Good idea,” nodded Percival, “you’re right about it being too big for me! You choose what to get and I’m bound to enjoy my half..”

And I’d better pay, seeing as I bet you didn’t get any currency for France, which, if you don’t know, is euros.”

I can use my card,” replied Percival, and before she could intervene he had done just that, using his personal debit card to pay for the food.

Then they returned to the coach and sat at a picnic table thoughtfully provided by the French business because weary travellers were often the backbone of their trade, and needed somewhere to sit if their driver had left the coach while he popped to the loo himself.

When Bill returned they returned to their seats on the coach, divided the half baguette between them, and Percival allowed his head to sink and his eyes to close.

So he missed the nightmare that is the Paris ring-road. Stella wasn’t much better off, and by the subdued sounds from the rest of the passengers, a great deal of snoring was being done!

The overnight hotel was a delight, the rooms clean and fresh and the dining room, when they found it, equipped with a supply of what were called welcoming drinks, and after enjoying those the day was followed by an evening meal which had clearly been selected with British appetites in mind because the fish was accompanied by French fries!

Just the job,” sighed Percival, or Percy as Stella had taken to call him, when they settled in the bar for drinks prior to going to bed. They were both very tired because, although they may have dozed off occasionally during the journey thay had no way replaced the sleep they lost because of their very early start.

This time their driver told them that breakfast would be waiting for them from six-thirty, but there was no need for them to be that early. He wasn’t setting off on the final stage of their journey until nine o’clock.

The next day the journey continued, though starting not so early, which they both found to be a relief.. There was the sound of more conversation on the coach as most of their fellow passengers had managed a good night’s sleep at the overnight hotel, followed by a fine breakfast.

That day was split into three easy parts, giving them a couple of chances to take a toilet break. Meanwhile, Annette and Caroline, two passangers known only by their Christian names, had volunteered to make coffee when it was safe for them to do so. This was the driver’s little bit of entrepreneurial input into the experience and as his charges were modest nobody was offended.

It was still late afternoon, not even early evening, when the coach pulled up at their hotel for the next few days. Bill went in first in order to find out how the hotel staff wanted them to register as individuals and what times the meals were, and, such formalities over, the party of around thirty made their way into the hotel.

Well, at least we’re here,” smiled Percival, “it’s all adventure from now on!”

I hope so,” purred Stella.

© Peter Rogerson, 09.07.23

...



© 2023 Peter Rogerson


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
Added on July 9, 2023
Last Updated on July 9, 2023


Author

Peter Rogerson
Peter Rogerson

Mansfield, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom



About
I am 80 years old, but as a single dad with four children that I had sole responsibility for I found myself driving insanity away by writing. At first it was short stories (all lost now, unfortunately.. more..

Writing