A lonely man

A lonely man

A Story by phil
"

A short story following the life of a man who travels his world

"

Nothing distinguished the young man from others as he stepped out his front door into the bustling crowd, other than perhaps the oversized rucksack he wore. He clicked the door shut, turned the key in the lock and posted the key through the letter box as per agreed. He then turned to join the crowd, still undistinguishable, ready to start his new life.

The man walked with the crowd, as it slowly thins around him leaving him truly alone for the first time on his adventure as he followed the meandering road into the hills. After several hours walking he reached the summit and turned around, looking down on the town below. He decided despite the early hour he would camp here the night, one last looking over the town which had been his home for the past 28 years, his family’s home for generations passed.

From the view point the young man could see horse pulling traps around, like ants heaving leafs in a nest, living their bland mundane life. But he, finally he felt free of all that. The rat race or whatever you wish to call it. The way of life society expects us to lead. Finally he was himself, free, living his dream. A meal cooked over an open fire and a night spent under the stars, the first of hundreds to come.

The sun woke the man early the following morning, a beautiful crisp autumn day, frost on the ground and a light mist hanging over the town in the valley. For breakfast cold meat from the night before and Fresh water from the burn which ran past his camp. Within an hour the mist had lifted, he was packed up. With one last look at the ant’s nest of his home town below, he turned and walked over the moors, the crisp frosty ground crunching beneath his feet. The trail of his footprints melting in the sun behind him.

He covered many miles that day, never seeing a soul on the deserted moorland. Only a few sheep and plenty of Rabbits, his next night was spent in a kind Sheppard’s croft. Being taught how to catch skin a rabbit, before eating it. Bathing and drinking from the burn that fed the croft. Much mead was drunk that night as the shepherd regaled the myths and legends of the moors. It chilled the man to his bones before he and the shepherd fell asleep beside the stove.  

The next morning came and with a heavy head the man bade farewell to the shepherd and walked on, days passed by, the man walked on, spending nights in forests, fields and hills alike. On a rainy night a light tarpaulin made a shelter, protecting him from the wind and rain. Rabbits, pigeons and the odd squirrel fed him, the last of the autumn berries as snacks. Before his trip he had never truly appreciated the beauty of his home country before. He found he could find beauty in the ugliest of landscapes.

As the days turned to week’s snow began to fall, the man decided to head down to a town to spend the night in an old inn. With a sum of money handed over for bed and breakfast, and a hearty supper finished he settled himself in the smoky bar, with a pint of bitter. Beside him an old man sat, smoking a pipe. Almost as if he had been there since the day the pub first opened. The old man looked at the young man, drew a puff on his pipe, letting the smoke rise from his mouth before, in a gruff and wisdom filled voice spoke 'alright laddie?

The young man replied, saying he was glad of a bed for the night. The two fell into conversation about the man’s travels. The old man listened, a hint of envy in his eyes as the young man spoke of his travels so far before asking the elder man of his life story. The old man spoke of the town’s once rich mining history, lead in the ground the old man spent his life digging up, retiring shortly before the pit closures. He spoke of his son who had not been so lucky, losing his job, his livelihood and ultimately taking his own life, leaving a widow and two children. The old man spoke in sadness about it, and how the widow had taken his grandchildren away to find a better life somewhere. The old man had not seen his grandchildren in years. From his pocket he withdrew an old tatty picture of his grandchildren, the last memory he had of them. The old and young man chatted and drank the night away. Far past closing time the two bid each other good night and left each to live the rest of their lives, two ships passing in the night.

Morning came, and, after the most filling breakfast the young man had had in weeks, and with his head sore from the night before, trudged his way through the snow continuing on his journey. Making a point to stop in pubs and inns he passed on route. Hearing stories from young and old alike about their life’s, sailors, farmers and accountants alike. The most memorable was an old man who lost his leg in the war as he watched his lifelong friend loose his life to King and Country. Many tears were shed but enjoyment and appreciation was had.

As winter turned to spring the man arrived at the South of the large Island, where on the bright morning he could see his destination over the viscous sea. Days were spent exploring and dreaming of adventures yet to come. A few weeks working evenings in a smoky fisherman’s pub, hearing tales from old and young alike paid for a place on a ship, sailing over the rough seas. The man shared a cabin with some merchants travelling abroad to bring back spices, special herbs, wine and luxury from distant lands. They shared stories, smoking cannabis and drinking the night away. It was on the trip the man discovered his ability to draw, a simple scrap of paper and an old piece of charcoal gave memories to last a life time.

The foreign lands were full of surprises, an unappreciated by the man’s own people, but amazing to those who ventured there. Working the winter in the mountains, extra money from drawings sold to brave travellers and merchants alike, paid his way to the next land, to ancient and romantic cities. An evening watching the sunset from the top of the tallest church spire, watching the world go by stood amongst the bustling streets. A moments silence paid for the unknown soldier from wars of past. Days were spent wandering the artist square admiring the work, where weeks turned to months and months to years drawing and selling his art. Accommodation found in artists hostels where good times were had.

Once the mans yearning for travel came he left the city, finding work on a farm which paid to see the graves of an ancient war. A few minutes spent at a distant ancestor’s grave, who died young, a brave man in a fearsome battle. Time passed as the man meandered the distant lands until he found himself helping run a small travellers inn. The inn, ran by an native couple in the northern lakes taught him the local language, alien to his, the history of the mountains, tales of trolls and beast once hunted now immersed in folklore. Finally the man learnt of the long life of the two, who were born in the mountains and farmed the mountain slopes, opening the inn to make ends meet when they could no longer could do the manual labour. Now a nearly as elderly neighbour could be seen still roaming a field, leading a powerful horse and plough.

The elderly farmers death came as a shock one morning, and the young man attended the ceremony of death, lost within the rituals of a community in black. The death and sad closure of the inn gave the man the cue to leave and explore more lands, walled cities and roaming rural landscapes. He visited cities more ancient than the war, awed at the ancient architecture, evenings  with red wine drank on steep vineyards, overlooking the ancient cities, drawing and selling the amazing views, and swimming in the oceans, filled a year before a ferry trip to the Eastern kingdoms still recovering from a more recent war.

The lands were full of misery, yet hope, burnt out shells stood in place of grand buildings. Wooden planks leant against their still ornate walls gave shelter to the homeless. Food was a scarce supply here. Hunting wild animals as people tried to rebuild their lives. The man spent his days travelling, hearing tales of war as he drew their disfigured faces, most aged beyond their years.

From the Eastern kingdoms, where a few days working on one of the few remaining farms, paid his way to the South, Mountains climbed, joyful people met, a culture so far from his own amazed him. The generosity of a family in a shanty town giving him a scrap of floor to lie on taught him more about generosity than anything previously had. There he learnt, with difficulty, some of the local language and heard tales of hardship between his  visits to the southern wanders, Mosques, palaces and modern cities a world away from where he slept.

From South and through the remote frozen lands, living in igloos and feeding rarely on the few animals he could catch took him to the Northern lands where tribes took care of him, unimaginable alcoholic beverages were drunk and views beyond imagination greeted him. The now aging man spent several years touring the northern lands. Months were spent helping the locals, struggling to dig wells and build huts to live in. In payment for his work he was taught the local language, indulged in their elaborate customs and was fed for months.


From the Northern lands to wilderness beyond, full of the native tribes, full of joy and humour in the pleasant lands. The man sat with by camp fires, rekindling his guitar skills and singing, his voice, now husky, gave a chilling feel to songs. Smoking substances he was surely too old to now smoke gave inspiration for songs and drawings alike. Months were spent crossing the desert where he saw almost alien like ancient art and culture.  Farms the sizes of counties were always happy to pay him to work. In the cities, a stark contrast from the outback the man spent last of months of his years there working between trips the infamous islands, where vast mountain ranges met him, the greenery and rocks disappearing to the clouds above. There was ancient cultures’ the man did not know even existed, far too far from his home land to know off. Here, in a remote village in a bar the man spent another evening, chatting to an elderly man who taught him the hardships of living off the sea in these remote, forgotten about islands.

Back to the mainland and with money in his pocket a new ship took him to thriving cities, ancient structures touring over him, where weeks were spent amongst the foreign world, full of greed and evil compared to the remote cultures he had seen. The next city was full of delights, days were spent in cafes, with cannabis filled cigarettes, coffee and a pencil in hand he sold drawings to locals which paid for nights in the red light district and eventually a ticket on a ship to western world.

It was an elderly man who travelled west to the great lakes, tremendous waterfalls and the beautiful wilderness of the west, where work was harder to find, but months logging paid his way through the western wilderness and cities, gambling and Native culture led him further west.


Now he was the old man, who Sat in Bars and shared his stories with the young whilst hearing their stories. Before venturing through to the far south west, with rain forests where once again tribes cared for him, treating him as an elder. Before they sent on him on his way, down great rivers in a small canoe, so he could explore further worlds. Ancient cities, now lost to the jungles awed him as the man continued west to the nearing mountains

It was in a remote village in the those mountains the now old man collapsed by the side of the road, the man was taken to a local Wiseman where peeling paint decorated the Wisemans walls. The Wiseman tried to treat the man. But the man knew his time had come. He lay there, alone and friendless looking back over his life. Though it was with a smile the man closed his eyes for the very last time.

He was buried with dignity by the locals in a nameless grave; along with a drawing of his home town he drew he had long since carried.

A life of joy ended in beautiful solitude.

© 2015 phil


Author's Note

phil
Anything appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
Added on February 3, 2015
Last Updated on February 23, 2015
Tags: Travel, lonely, man, short

Author

phil
phil

About
Some of my witterings. more..

Writing
The elderly man The elderly man

A Story by phil