prologue for the red door.

prologue for the red door.

A Chapter by Ivythepianogeek


Prologue



He walked through the woods underneath the bright starry sky, as the horror of what was happening finally sunk in. It has been etched in his memory ever since he was born, although it never really seemed like it was going to happen. but now the realization swept over him. They were coming, and he couldn't stop them. the only chance of any of them surviving was the door. he looked up. it was a clear night. the stars never have shined so brightly, almost as if they were trying to comfort him. suddenly a figure leapt out of a bush, pointing a bow at him. He had a tight grip, and was ready to let go, whenever he needed to, but then he relaxed. "Malhone!" the figure cried in relief, "I am sorry my friend." they started walking together. "I thought you were one of them" he frequently checked over his shoulder, his glance shifting, making sure they weren't being followed.
"you are being overcautious Darwick." Mahlone said, "they told us they won't come until sunrise."
"you" Darwick started, "are not being cautious enough. They have tricked us before!" he said in a harsh whisper. "unless you've forgotten?" Mahlone stopped.
"do you dare suggest I've forgotten?" he asked roughly, advancing on Darwick.
"well no, but-"
"do you really think, I'd forget the main piece to the extinction of our people?" he was uncomfortably close now, his voice rising quickly. Darwick slipped his bow to his hand, in case Darwick did something rash.
"of my people?" he stared him right in the face, and suddenly his voice softened. "would you forget the death of your brother?" he turned briskly, and started walking at a quicker pace. "come." he said. "we must get to the painting." Darwick hurried to catch up with Mahlone. after a long pause, he asked. "why-"he cleared his throat so he would not whisper. "why were you looking at the sky back there?" he asked, eager for a conversation.
Mahlone paused, and looked up to the sky, and then deep into Darwick's eyes. Mahlones eyes were so rich, and full of emotion, as they were piercing Darwicks, he felt uncomfortable. it was as if he could stare all the way through his eyes, to his mind and read his thoughts. "because." he answered, "because this will be the last time I see a night sky, on a perfect night like tonight. this is where I want to be before death." Darwick shuffled his feet. he knew it was coming, but he still felt uncomfortable talking about death. "they won't be the last thing I see, if I can't remember how they look." 
They trudged on solemnly, until they reached a clearing. The short grass was matted, as if it was trampled. There were five wooden torches standing in a circle, behind which stood a platform, about three feet high, holding an intricately carved wooden door. Everyone who was still there, had left the woods to gather in this field. Mahlone and Darwick walked into the crowd, and a bulky figure climbed up onto the platform. from the way he walked, to the hush that fell over the crowd, you could tell he was they're leader.
"friends," he said in a low but firm voice, "tonight is the night. we have had this door for years,"
he gestured toward the door. "we knew this day would come, and it has been thrust upon our generation. We will paint it red for the blood that will be shed, and we will send the children with the Mothers who cannot fight to a safe place where it will be hidden, so we can ensure, future prosperity."
"since the beginning of time, we had petty differences. arguments, and fights, but tonight we will fight our enemies- oh yes we will fight," he said, specifically to a skeptical teenager, " for sure we will go down, but because of that, might we go down trying?"
"we will not come quietly!" he announced, voice raising, "we will, fight together, as one! Let us paint this door, in the name of strength and unity!" the crowd got motivated, and started cheering, and some started chanting 'unity' and then one at a time, they climbed the platform to the door, and painted it with one long red stroke, until it was coated in a deep red. But then unexpectedly, an arrow flew out of a nearby bush, and struck the leader in the forehead. He collapsed in the ground, with a shocked expression on his motionless face. a few people cried out in surprise and grief, and a hush fell over them. "We don't have any time to take the children!" Mahlone burst out "try to hide them as well as you can, and say godbye to your loved ones, we must protect the door." Muffled cries were heard amidst the shocked silence
"they are here, go." he said, though they still did not move. "now!" he cried. and as they scattered to get ready, battle was formed under the warm light of the stars.


© 2010 Ivythepianogeek


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting read.
Just a suggestion. Use capitals at the beginning of sentences. it makes it easier to read...and also paragraphs on that note.

umm...i dont think I have any other critisism...
liked how you kept the reader in the dark, about why they were fighting, and the war and especially the door!!

I am thinking that this these answers might be in the nxt chapters? well, it'll be a great read. A good storyline.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
1 Review
Added on June 22, 2010
Last Updated on June 22, 2010


Author

Ivythepianogeek
Ivythepianogeek

MN



About
hi! for me, writing is everything, because its the easiest way to explain things. I can write better then talk. I love writing poetry, and stories, especially fiction! more..

Writing