A Boy's Love of Baseball

A Boy's Love of Baseball

A Story by Tim
"

Sometimes we need to look at things from a differant angle.

"
The young boy was all exicited. He had just opened his birthday presents from his parents. There before him was what he had been hoping for. It was a ball, glove and bat. He had been asking for them for some time. He ran his hands over the bat admiring it. He then tried on the glove to see how it fit. Spitting in to it and rubbing it in as he had seen the big league players do. Picking up the ball he threw it into his glove. He liked the way the ball fit when he squeezed the glove around it.
A day or two later the young boy begged his mother to let him go over to the ball field to play ball. His mother said yes and told him to be back for supper. So off he ran looking for others to play ball with. When he arrived at the ball field there was no one else around. After waiting a few minutes to see if anyone else would show up he decided to play ball by himself.
The young boy took his bat and ball and walked up to the plate. Standing at the plate he took the ball and threw it straight up. As the ball came down he took a big swing at the ball. The ball hit the plate with a thud. The boy picked up the ball and tossed it up into the air again. He eyed the ball again waiting for just the right moment and took another swing. Once again the ball hit the plate with a thud. The boy stood thinking. That is two strikes. One more and I will be out. When the ball left his hand he took careful aim and swung the bat again. He again swung the bat only to hear the ball hit the plate again. Well that is one out he told himself, there are plenty more to go.
Over and over again the boy threw the ball up, only to swing and miss. But he refused to let it get the best of him. The more he missed the more determined he became. I will hit that ball before I go home he thought to himself.
All to soon the time went by. He heard his mother call in the distance that he was to come home for supper. Well he thought this is it. This will be the last out. He looked at the ball. Turning it in his hand. Then taking it he tossed it into the air. As the ball came down he swung and missed. Strike one he thought. Picking up the ball he threw it into the air again. Again he missed. Strike two he yelled. Grabbing the ball he took a deep breath. This is the last try he said to himself. The ball flew up into the air. He watched the ball come down. Then with all his might he swung the bat. He looked down at the plate. There sat the ball. 'Strike three" he said.
The young boy picked up his glove and ball. He started walking home, with his head down, dragging the bat behind him. As he walked he thought about the afternoon. Then all at once a big smile came acrossed his face. " I am a good pitcher" he exclaimed, as he grabbed his bat and ran for home.


© 2008 Tim


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the way the little boy turns a negative into a positive. If that would happen to me I porobaly would have gotten so mad I would give up or end up hurting myself trying.

Posted 15 Years Ago


As a baseball lover, I thoroughly enjoyed this story and the vivid imagery you presented, Tim. I felt as if I was there watching this boy trying to hit the ball, hoping a friend would come along to pitch a few balls. I loved the determination and perserverance which resulted in learning other areas he may excel at. A great story, my friend ... hugs

Posted 15 Years Ago


VERY VERY good my friend. I have such a soft spot in my heart for little boys and ball fields. My Son started playing ball at a very early age and his two boys are now following in his footsteps. A wonderful story of determination and never giving up the game. Loved it. Hugs, Lesa

Posted 15 Years Ago


That is such a wonderful example of a guy who tries and tries, and, when he can't try any more, he turns a corner and begins anew.

Great story, great style... flows easily plus, the reader wants to know how the story's going to pan out.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

219 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 19, 2008
Last Updated on May 21, 2008

Author

Tim
Tim

In New England



About
I am an easy going person who loves the outdoors and everything that goes with it. Hiking , canoeing, fishing and gardening I was born and raised in New England. I am currently working on buildin.. more..

Writing
Lazy Summer Day Lazy Summer Day

A Poem by Tim



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


GOD said, WHAT ? GOD said, WHAT ?

A Story by Rain