The flood

The flood

A Story by Tim

A while ago there were some heavy rains that caused some major flooding. The brook that runs around the nursery over flowed its banks and flooded the woods that surround the nursery. Over the last couple of days the water has receded and is almost back to normal.

 Once the waters receded I took a walk through the woods that had been flooded with fast moving water. The woodland floor that is usually covered with leaf debris was swept clean by the flood. The only leaves that were around were the ones caught on twigs and branches. Trees had been uprooted and some of the underbrush had been swept away. The woods had a completely different look to it. As I walked around observing all the changes it was amazing to see how fast it had already began to recover. New shoots of vegetative plants were already pushing through the cleanly mopped woodland floor. Turkey tracks were clearly seen as hens began once again to find places to nest. Along with deer tracks and coyote tracks. All types of birds were fluttering about, feeding on the bugs and seeds that were left behind.

As I continued to walk around I heard a noise. I stood there silently listening for it again. There it was again. It was a sound that I recognized but could not place. I stood there searching through the memory banks as I continued to listen to the noise. Then a smile came across my face as I recognized the noise. It was a noise that I have not heard in a long time. The noise was a drumming noise. It is the sound that a ruffed grouse makes with its tail as it drums against a log. He uses the noise to attract a mate.

I stood there for a while recalling my dealings with ruffed grouse. They are one of the hardest upland birds to hunt. They wait to the last minute to flush and usually fly up in your face, startling one every time. Then they fly erratically making it hard to shoot. One fall I would go every weekend hunting on my dad's farm. Walking down a path this one grouse would flush every time and startle me. Each time it was gone before I could get off a shot. This happened week after week. As I approached the area I would be looking intently for it and expecting it. But every week it would startle me and be off. I never did get that one.

One other time while deer hunting, I wasstanding next to a tree, I caught a movement out of the corner of my eye. I slowly turned my head and there was a ruffed grouse walking around. I stood there motionless and continued to watch it as it made it's way through the woods. Then I noticed that it began to wander towards me as it hunted for bugs and seeds. It continued to make it's way to me until it was right at my feet. It stopped and looked at me sensing something was wrong. But as I stood there motionless it continued about its business. The experience was one I will never forget.

The walk in the woods today revealed a number of things today. It showed the devastation of the flood. How the land was swept clean of debris. The trees uprooted and the nesting places of some animals were gone. It showed that it has already began to recover. The birds and animals began to move back in and taking up residence once again. It also showed the scars of the flood that will be there for a long time.

Life is like that. There is the devastation. There is the recovery. There are the scars. Ones live can be changed forever. It can make one stronger because of the experience or if you let it i can ruin your life forever.

 
 

 

© 2008 Tim


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can see that you are a lover of nature. Your description of the beginnings of recovery of the forest are filled with that love. Nature never hesitates when devastated. There are no choices to be made. There is no alternative to recovery. As your last paragraph points out, the choices man makes after disaster can greatly alter the person, resulting in strength or ruin. This is a very thoughtful piece and I enjoyed it very much.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I like this. I'm always amazed when I think of all types of natural disasters, how they cleanse and bring new land formations and new life. So what you thought was bad turned out to be good. Like life. I enjoyed the different bird descriptions here. This was something different to read, thanks :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


An interesting tale with a good lesson at the end. Great job, Tim.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh Tim, I like this: Life is like that. There is the devastation. There is the recovery. There are the scars. Ones live can be changed forever. It can make one stronger because of the experience or if you let it i can ruin your life forever.

How true are these words my friend. Holly

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It reminds me of a Robert Frot Poem.
The Title escapes me, I have to look it up.
But it really is a close depiction..

We have turkeys in our woods too but not a Grouse.
Or maybe deeper in the woods.

I'll get back to you on that Bobby Frost Poem

Have a good day
Lorrie

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I can see that you are a lover of nature. Your description of the beginnings of recovery of the forest are filled with that love. Nature never hesitates when devastated. There are no choices to be made. There is no alternative to recovery. As your last paragraph points out, the choices man makes after disaster can greatly alter the person, resulting in strength or ruin. This is a very thoughtful piece and I enjoyed it very much.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You write so wonderfully about Nature, it's as if you are part of it - the invisible leaf or bird's wing or whatever...

Even though I'm by no means into huntin', fishin' and shootin', I can see that you wholly respectand love the countryside and all its residents. Your description of the ruffed grouse at your feet .. it made me hold my breath in case it was frightened away.

As you so rightly write (!) even after disasters such as flooding, Nature has its miraculous way of surviving and returning to how it was. And I guess, the same applies to human beings but the scars take more time to heal. You're a wise, wise man.

Thank you so much for sharing. I truly, truly look forward to more tales about your countryside memories.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

214 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2008
Last Updated on July 18, 2008

Author

Tim
Tim

In New England



About
I am an easy going person who loves the outdoors and everything that goes with it. Hiking , canoeing, fishing and gardening I was born and raised in New England. I am currently working on buildin.. more..

Writing
Lazy Summer Day Lazy Summer Day

A Poem by Tim



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..