If they only knew

If they only knew

A Poem by sheila lott

She starts her normal day.

Her make-up is flawless,not a hair out of place, she is dressed to perfecton.

As is walks into her office,you can HERE  the sound of her high heel shoes.

She smells like a field of wild flowers.

She stands tall as she flows across the room.

She knows they stare.

She knows thay talk.

She knows of the whispers.

They think her life is easy.

They think she has it all.

But....if they only knew.

The torment she hides in her heart.

The insane thought she hides in her mind. 

If they only knew....

She shakes when she walks into a room.

She cries in her sleep, most every night.

If they only knew....

She is weak.

She is screaming from within

She is tough to the common eye.

but her soul is slowly decaying,she is dying on the inside.

Would they show her compassion.

If they only knew?

© 2008 sheila lott


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your poem brings up several good points. If she looks too good, immediately she loses friends...if they were to know what she goes through, would they pick her apart...and be glad to know something about her that wasn't perfect? Yeah, probably.
The way you wrote this is what makes the story underneath come out so well and makes the reader think. I can see this playing out like a mini movie, thanks to your descriptive words. Your poem is excellent in form and content!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


Hello Sheila,
The idea behind you poem is a classic. Have you ever read Richard Cory? The poet who wrote that (Edward Arlington Robinson) took it to the "Nth" degree. Your piece reminds me of that. I'll be you hadn't read it, though...check it out!
Meanwhile, may I offer a couple of tweaks and suggestions? 3d line: As SHE walks into...etc. You can HEAR
(sp). Some of your lines begin with capital letters...some do not...and there seems no reason for this, as any punctuation which would necessitate this is missing!
"Insane thoughts in her mind" is enough. (You don't "feel" thoughts...you THINK thoughts...and you already suggest this so you do not need it)(You would FEEL feelings!)
Within. (You have "with-in") Common. (you have commen)
The end should have a question mark.... You might also check the rest of the punctuation throughout the piece. You need periods at the ends of sentences...capitals at the start of new sentences. Since it is a poem the start of EACH line takes a capital letter.
Good luck,
GA


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I see the torment beyond the fragrance, beyond the picture window.
From a friend to a friend. hold it not in, let it pour, not for them, what they think is not important. But to hold it in, speaks doom, far greater then what you paint with these fine words here.
Just my opinion :)
You have bravely gotten your images across.
Keep it up!

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 2, 2008
Last Updated on March 3, 2008

Author

sheila lott
sheila lott

paducah, KY



About
Iam mother of four beautiful kids that truely make a better person. I write poetry for my soul. I think there is a poet in all of else whether we see it or not.Poerty to me is like riding lifes rolla.. more..

Writing
Lessons Lessons

A Poem by sheila lott


I fight I fight

A Poem by sheila lott



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..