Still Nuts After All These Years

Still Nuts After All These Years

A Story by Kristine Stewart
"

Nonsense!

"
"Why peanuts mommy...why?" asked my very young daughter during a long yet boring flight. 

"Well," I replied, "remember when you asked me about what tradition was? Serving peanuts on airplanes is a tradition!"

This tradition can be traced back to the very first flight made by the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina. 

As the story goes, Orville was taking the crudely constructed airplane up for its very first test flight across the beautiful Carolina countryside. The plane, a bulky yet horrendous craft, sputtered along at some speed and actually made it off the ground!

After a few  seconds of flight, the aircraft suddenly encountered wind shear at 12 feet. 

The doomed plane plummeted to the ground, breaking apart in a freshly plowed peanut field.

The pilot, in shock, but not dismembered, emerged from the soil with a mouthful of... yes... peanuts.

Wilbur found this to be hysterical and insisted that peanuts be placed on all subsequent flights as a symbol of good luck, fertility and many happy landings.

The idea of meal service aboard airplanes originated when one of the Wright brothers' later flights resulted in the plane nose-diving into a manure field, but that's another story......

© 2016 Kristine Stewart


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Whatever it is is, it is fun and very well told. Great imagery and humor all around. Well, Done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kristine Stewart

7 Years Ago

thanks for the review...truly appreciated
Reading "Past" was just like you knew what I am doing to myself...makes me think twice....reliving old times, not making new...interesting

Posted 8 Years Ago


Light-hearted and fun. I enjoyed reading it, especially the closing line...

Posted 8 Years Ago


Kristine Stewart

8 Years Ago

Thanks.. I only hope to entertain....
Kristine Stewart

7 Years Ago

thanks, I enjoy entertaining!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

244 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 19, 2016
Last Updated on January 19, 2016

Author

Kristine Stewart
Kristine Stewart

FL



About
I write odd shorts and occasional serious and some demented stories. I hope you get a laugh out of my nonsense... more..

Writing