THE LEAP OF MY LIFE

THE LEAP OF MY LIFE

A Chapter by Pras Ram
"

A leap into the river that helped me find depth in my character and the heights of my courage.

"
After the stay of one great enjoyable and unforgettable year in Australia, I moved to Malaysia. This is where I met the second person in the list �" Raj. Raj is the younger son of the lovely landlord and landlady in whose place I stay. He is an avid traveler and a person with a very open mind. Whenever we met, he spoke about his travelling experiences. Gab used to do the same. I was astonished by their experiences. Although I was amazed and enthralled by what I heard, I still was not ready to take the risk of leaving my comfort zone �" my room and my books.

After a while, Raj informed me about the trip he was arranging for his colleagues. The trip was to Sedim in Penang, Malaysia. I decided to join him and later found that it was one of the best decisions I made in my life.

We left to Sedim in the middle of the night. We were supposed to do white-water rafting and rock climbing there. All my apprehensions were blown away once we entered the forest and started indulging in all the activities. I could find myself enjoying the outdoors. It was a great place and the companions were absolutely fantastic.

During the course of activities, some people were having fun by jumping into the river from a small bridge. I too wanted to jump. But, my inability to swim and the fear of drowning was stopping me from doing it. At that moment, I decided to do something, which I find hard to believe even now. I just ran in and jumped into the river. I hit the cold water and thought I was going to float. I didn’t float and started drowning. Some friends threw a rope at me and dragged me to the shore. Only after I was pulled out of the water, I realized what I had done.

That jump was the bravest and the most stupid thing I have ever done in my life. A brave thing to do because, I overcame my fear to venture into the unknown. A stupid thing to do because, I jumped without preparing myself or without understanding my limitations. I wanted to do it again. This time, I changed strategy. I went back and jumped again. I did not drown this time around because I WAS WEARING A LIFE JACKET. Not only was I ready to take the risk, I was also prepared for any eventuality.

These are small incidents, which prepare you for bigger things in life. Such things seem to improve your confidence and the sense of security. I knew that I was ready to face the world on my own.

That one small jump proved to be the biggest leap in my life.


© 2012 Pras Ram


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
Added on January 15, 2012
Last Updated on January 15, 2012


Author

Pras Ram
Pras Ram

Chennai, South, India



About
An average joe who tries to put together the random thoughts into some order...which is best understood, when the reader is drunk, preferably vodka. There should be something for everybody if you have.. more..

Writing
Acknowledgements Acknowledgements

A Chapter by Pras Ram


THE PREPARATION THE PREPARATION

A Chapter by Pras Ram