Is America Becoming a Broken Pot

Is America Becoming a Broken Pot

A Story by psisatyr
"

It's an essay about the recent racial tensions in America

"

Recently I have been reading press reports of flaring racial tensions in America. There were shootouts not one but two, one, the law enforcers of a different community shooting crime doers of another racial group. The opinion regarding the shootouts varies from indiscriminate shooting to shooting for violation and crime.  I would like to proceed to analyze the conflagration of racial tension from many points of view. First of all I would like to take the Psychoanalytic view. Here in spite of America overcoming barriers of race, the race as a feeling of class consciousness remains deeply embedded in the subconscious of the racial groups. Here the race as a feeling of class consciousness works according to the principle of a trans-cultural archetype with its impressions arrested in the homogeneity of the racial group. During periods of carnival and celebration this trans-cultural-archetype would share the mutual ethos and cultural artifacts of heterogeneous racial groups. For example the contributions of Black Literature, Rap, Blues, Gospel and Jazz are heterogenized artistic experiences. But during periods of racial tensions, the racial, trans-cultural-archetype would become homogenized within distinct racial groups. An example of this would be the coping mechanisms used by the afflicted racial group in the form of protests, mourning, and resistance to authority. All these are defense mechanisms adopted by the afflicted group to articulate the ontology of survival. Another point of view that could be adopted would be a deconstructionist view. Here the apt question would be which race becomes privileged group, trying to enforce its laws on the marginalized sections of the community of another distinct racial group. This again leads to the question has the enforcement of laws been juridically justified. Why does one racial community feel that the enforcement of laws has been partial, antagonistic and hegemonic? Does this kind of enforcement show the privileging of the signifieds like enforcement of justice and the imposition of law and order? Nevertheless these are serious questions that the law makers and law enforces should be asking to themselves. Another point of view that I would like to adopt in this discourse about the flaring up of racial tensions is a post colonial one. Here I would like to ask the question, is America still reeling under the aegis of a White Colonial Self and a Black Colonial Other. No doubt America has gone a long way in removing the stigma of racial inequities.  But yet there are freezing tensions and rupturing plates beneath the uneasy calm and this can be evidenced from the recent outburst. I think that America can work more and contribute more to remove the onus of cross cultural tensions by promoting trans-cultural-individuations. 

© 2014 psisatyr


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on November 30, 2014
Last Updated on November 30, 2014
Tags: America, USA, Melting Pot, Racial Tensions, Black, White, Colonial Self, Post Colonial Other, Individuation, Trans-Cultural-Archetype, Bules, Gospel, Jazz, Rap, Post Colonial Self

Author

psisatyr
psisatyr

India



About
I am a pedagogist; I hail from God's Own Country in Kerala. Writing prose, fiction and poetry are my special interests. Making love, boozing are so delicacies of a fruit for me more..

Writing