Rereading Freud’s Interpretations of Hypermnesic  Dreams

Rereading Freud’s Interpretations of Hypermnesic Dreams

A Story by psisatyr
"

It's an explanation about Freud's mistaken understanding of Hypermnesic dreams.

"

These thoughts came to me while I was reading Freud’s interpretation of dreams. Though they are by no means perfect, I can’t resist the pen from scribing on to them. In the beginning he mentions of individuals having hypermnesic dreams. I was choked to look at the meaning of this word and the lexicographic meaning that emerged was one that of being vivid to memory. Let me now recall some dreams that he used as examples.

Dream 1

A person dreamt of a musical composition and later on by chance he happened to find the musical composition in an old book.

Dream 2

Mr. X was writing a poem of very famous people belonging to a place. A dream appeared to him and in that dream, Mr. Y complained as to why he was not included. When he did research on the place, he to his surprise found that Mr. Y belonged to that place.

 

Dream 3

In this dream, a dreamer remains of a childhood incident that has escaped from his conscious memory.

 

The mistake Freud did was to classify all these dreams as hypermnesic dreams. Freud has also extensively used the word “psychic” to connote a mental process. But psychical cannot be memoried process but also an extra sensory acquired process.

In dream 1 and 2, an image or a stimulus occurs to the reader as an extrasensory stimulus. Freud has also gone to lengths of quoting Myers who has founded the society of Psychical research. My question to Freud, how did an unknown component, a psychic stimuli manifest itself in the mind of the dreamer. For dream 1 and dream 2, Freud has mistaken them as being hypermensic dreams. Dream 3 can be considered as a classic example of hypermnesia.

 

© 2014 psisatyr


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
Added on December 31, 2014
Last Updated on December 31, 2014
Tags: Freud, Dream, Dream interpretation, Hypermnesic, psychic, extra-sensory

Author

psisatyr
psisatyr

India



About
I am a pedagogist; I hail from God's Own Country in Kerala. Writing prose, fiction and poetry are my special interests. Making love, boozing are so delicacies of a fruit for me more..

Writing