Jesus Sure Don't Fish Here No More

Jesus Sure Don't Fish Here No More

A Poem by Pete
"

It is necessary not to be Christian to appreciate the beauty and significance of the life of Christ. - Thoreau

"
Jesus (and Peter) walking on the water in Matthew 14 | Psephizo

with my wal mart sneakers and harley davidson cap
past the sober house littered with condom wrappers, empties and cigarette butts
every day i go for a walk down by the river that runs through this abandoned town i call home
ending at the mill pond created when men "damned'" it long ago
a sort of forgotten, egotistical, polluted but once money-making, industrial show

i often think about stepping out of the boat
walking on water
exercising faith
hoping it's not too late
headed for a different shore
guess, for now, i'll just have to stick to my faux, hardwood floor
'cuz jesus sure don't fish here no more



© 2023 Pete


Author's Note

Pete
"Christ was a sublime actor on the stage of the world. He knew what he was thinking of when he said, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away." I draw near to him at such a time. Yet he taught mankind but imperfectly how to live; his thoughts were all directed toward another world. There is another kind of success than his. Even here we have a sort of living to get, and must buffet it somewhat longer. There are various tough problems yet to solve, and we must shift to live, betwixt spirit and matter, such a human life as we can." - Thoreau

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can picture the places you pass by on your daily walk. Cigarette butts and halfway houses....a side of life that many do not choose to see. However, those who believe in Christ do believe he is everywhere and sees everything. People in jail often turn to religion to get then through the time there. Pete, it is never too late to change your path in life. This is so well written. Kudos! Lydi**

Posted 9 Months Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Pete

9 Months Ago

yes, thanks lydi. i walk past it but am not part of it. i enjoy seeing the river but not what surr.. read more



Reviews

The earth will outlast us In the end it will reclaim all we soiled.

Posted 8 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

8 Months Ago

not enough respect for creation. when will man ever learn - probably when it's too late as you allu.. read more
Tate Morgan

8 Months Ago

You’re welcome
Where does anger and spite originate? From where comes the need to love others more than self? What makes a person willingly take one path or - another?
Mankind is a global huddle of every facet of Man 's behaviour:. each in his/her/their own image being whatever.
Or is there something inexplicable that stands tall and survives because it merges into the need of those helpless, alone. Soldiers in the flame of battle have called for their far away mothers but in the process have offered their fear to Jesus or ccomfort from another such being. Tragically kin and dear friends pass on or away.
Faith in all its guises exists if and when IT is called upon sometimes by some. Even Jesus.
I truly understand and admire your poem, the way you feel and think is laid as a means of sharing, Pete.. but..

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
emmajoygreen

9 Months Ago

Would never argue with another person 's faith or opinion, believe me, please, Was merely adding my.. read more
Pete

9 Months Ago

no offense taken whatsoever. we all have different life experiences along with different belief sys.. read more
I do like this one. I'm no Jesus guy (I think there was a man - probably a great man - called Jesus, but no messiah thing), but you bring this to us in an interesting way. A good read.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

9 Months Ago

if you do try to walk on water make sure you have a life preserver either physical or spiritual. th.. read more
I believe that Jesus lives everywhere all the time. And that "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever." Hebrews13:8 But I don't seek to proselytize. Christ Himself must do that work having sent both the prophets and the apostles out as His lieutenants. I was watching an episode of Young Sheldon on TV last night and I heard the pronouncement from Sheldon (supposedly after having read the Bible) that "Jesus isn't God." However, if one has read and understands and believes scripture one could not possibly come to another conclusion. The Book of Isaiah says, "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, The Mighty God, The Everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6 Christ said of Himself, "I and the Father are One" John 10:30 He told Philip, "“Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?" John 14:9 and there are at least a dozen other related passages clearly emphasizing the Divinity of Christ. The word "trinity" however does not exist in any ecclesiastical or Biblical canon. What IS stated over and over is that the Lord and God are One. God is called Lord and the Lord God throughout scriptures such as Psalms and books of various prophets. He is also called the "Rock" as in Rock of Ages in the Books of Samuel and Isaiah. In Isaiah He says, "I am the LORD, and there is no other." Isaiah 45:18 In Revelation He calls Himself "the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, who Is and Was and is to come, the Almighty." Revelation 1:8 So, the writers for Young Sheldon must have obviously never read the Bible. Thoreau is entitled to his opinion but he doesn't get the last and final say. God does. "Let God be true, and every human being a liar. As it is written: “So that you may be proved right when you speak and prevail when you judge.” Romans 3:4 I am urged in my beliefs not to trust any human but only God. Indeed, the scriptures say that any man who trusts another man is "cursed". "Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who draws strength from mere flesh and whose heart turns away from the LORD." Jeremiah 17:5 The Spirit knows mankind but mankind does not know the Spirit. But I will now heed the words of Solomon who said, "God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few." And I think I've made my position and beliefs clear. But do I seek to convert? No. I do not. However, if I can echo the sentiment of Paul, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness." 2 Timothy 3:16 Every person must sort out their own salvation as Paul urged in Philippians 2:12, "continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling".


Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

FGFRANKLIN

9 Months Ago

I read Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl. He was a Nazi concentration camp survivor. One of .. read more
Pete

9 Months Ago

it won't be pretty when christ returns ... :)
FGFRANKLIN

9 Months Ago

It won't be long. There are signs everywhere. But the majority of people are in denial like they wer.. read more
beautiful thoughts .. your poem and the words of Thoreau says i! according to the teachings of the Bible, mankind fell from a perfect union with God the Creator of all things .. we have inherited the mistrust and disobedience ... the pride of those first fallen ... Adam and Eve ... a simple story for simple people .. who complicate things in ever greater degrees .. we sure do have that hope .. it absolutely lies beyond the grave and in the arms of our loving Savior ... reading here on your street, my focus is put back into that better place of trust and comfort ... thanks for sharing Pete!
E.
ps. ZZ Top are the greatest .. in my opinion ..

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

9 Months Ago

oh that crafty devil! you know it e. thanks. i guess zz top bassist dusty hill passed away not to.. read more
Einstein Noodle

9 Months Ago

i would say take the opportunity .. they are classic and soon all of us in that generation will be p.. read more
I can picture the places you pass by on your daily walk. Cigarette butts and halfway houses....a side of life that many do not choose to see. However, those who believe in Christ do believe he is everywhere and sees everything. People in jail often turn to religion to get then through the time there. Pete, it is never too late to change your path in life. This is so well written. Kudos! Lydi**

Posted 9 Months Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Pete

9 Months Ago

yes, thanks lydi. i walk past it but am not part of it. i enjoy seeing the river but not what surr.. read more
Honest and strong words and thoughts shared. Hard to find Jesus in our messy world. I have studied religions for many moons and I kept my Ojibwa belief. Thank you Pete for sharing the amazing poetry. Kind of poetry to create a never-ending conversation. With many endings.
Coyote

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

9 Months Ago

thank you coyote. a difficult subject for sure. all we can do is our best in an ever-increasingly .. read more
Coyote Poetry

9 Months Ago

You are welcome Pete. All we can do. Is our best.
Your muse could see what was left and Christ could see perhaps what came of it. A deep and meaningful write.

Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

9 Months Ago

thank you for shared thoughts - always appreciated. i think it is long since lost and late to the o.. read more
Ken Simm.

9 Months Ago

Totally agree.
I like the quote above and the music...I am not a believer, but the Thoreau quote appealed to me in some way..'"we must shift to live between spirit and matter" there must be a balance in life... which I take to mean we don't have spend our lives in a God-fearing manner; it's okay live your life the way you wish and not be afraid that Jesus doesn't approve....."Jesus sure don't live here no more"
Great piece!
Warmly, B


Posted 9 Months Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pete

9 Months Ago

yes, everything in moderation betty. there is a tendency amongst us to take such matters to the ext.. read more
Betty Hermelee

9 Months Ago

Good food for thought Pete
And you're very welcome!
Warmly
B

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

393 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 14, 2023
Last Updated on December 3, 2023

Author

Pete
Pete

Boston, MA



About
I love reading, writing, music, nature, God and feeling emotion, not necessarily in that order. To me, these things go hand in hand. My favorite writer is Henry David Thoreau. I think he was a geni.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


CASSIUS CASSIUS

A Poem by Rene Velez


Poem 3.14 Poem 3.14

A Poem by Belle