Footprints

Footprints

A Poem by Samuel Dickens
"

Looking back to where I've been

"

I’ve sailed the world’s oceans and gazed upon faraway, liquid horizons. Soothed by gentle breezes or bruised by angry waves, I learned to love it there, upon the sea. 

Once beneath a blazing, desert sun, I saw ancient spirits dance on gaseous waves. Offering eternity, they spoke to my soul. When nightfall came, ten million twinkling stars swirled above in an ink-black sea of wonder.

Breathing air of arctic chill, I walked on pillow-soft tundra to Finger Bay, where salmon made their run. Way up in that northern clime, I found a certain beauty. Rugged, clean and cold, I might have called it home.

High above the sea and land, I’ve flown on silver wings. It’s easy to dream inside a cloud, and I longed to linger there. How easy it is, you see, to soar without a care, forgetting for a while, afflictions and despair.

Deep inside a forest, among the noble trees, I’ve sat upon a rock and pondered life’s mysteries. Of every place I’ve been, and every voice I’ve heard, and every sight I’ve seen, no other can compare to this one, most serene. Leave me long to tarry here until my final day, and then I’ll lie down ‘neath this oak and sleep my cares away.

© 2018 Samuel Dickens


Author's Note

Samuel Dickens
Re-tracing some of my footprints.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

If we are fortunate we build up a lifetimes treasure chest of memories. They can help carry us through bad times. You have done a good job here Samuel in describing your personal treasures and conveying through them through words. I often think how fortunate I have been to experience so many stunning places. Of course being able to share these experiences at the time adds to the experience.
Here is to future treasures in the chest.
Regards, alan

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

6 Years Ago

Thanks, Alan. I don't get out much anymore, but I sure used to.
Bill Kamen

3 Years Ago

I share your lack of getting out much anymore, whereas, I also do not but like yourself, have a head.. read more



Reviews

Thank you for taking us with you on this journey ! Sea to desert to forest ! I read it out loud..You make it sound so grand Sam..I love the ending !

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

11 Years Ago

Thanks, Renee, I'm glad you enjoyed it.
And you found a special beauty everywhere you went.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Seems it all comes back to nature .. The green & the serene lend comfort in the time of sleep .. I always told my husband, if I am dying, take me out in the rain, and lay me down on green .. .. It is all about peace & the gifts of God .. ..
This is a wonder-full write Sam .. And I agree with your choice ..

Jazz ..

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

11 Years Ago

Thanks, Jazz.
J. J.  Nightingale

11 Years Ago

You are most welcome .. :)
This masterpiece is just, well, a masterpiece! There was never a misplaced word nor a disturbance in the beautiful flow you have created here. Poems are nice, some better than others, but yours was on a whole different level. I loved it so much I read it over and over. Just amazing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much. I'm honored and pleased.
Feels good to have peace of mind, reflect on what has brought us to that point and just let go. Excellent read and write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

11 Years Ago

Thank you, Brandon. You're exactly right.
Leave me long to tarry here until my final day...favourite line.
loved it. thanks Sam.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I read this as the title caught my eye and I must say it did not disappoint at all. Such great imagery and sounds like a great place to sleep cares away. I love prose poetry and those sentences which express to others what you saw, heard and experienced take me in and make me want to experience it too. Really enjoyed this.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You were right, Sam. I do love this, the last stanza especially. It speaks to me. Every year before my birthday, I take a few weeks to trace my steps in the previous year, much like you've done here. It gives me a chance to re-evaluate my direction.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A lovely piece of prose, I would love to follow in your footprints taking a trip within those silver wings. Sam this is beautiful! What a glimpse into the world as you have seen it. Thanks for showing us!

Great Writing!
RLG,
Tommy


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A beautiful reflection of your life. I love the way you use the elements... The last stanza is my favorite..it reminds me of a man in my life I adored..he was the best ever and he wrote just as you do..my dad...xxx

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1008 Views
38 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 13, 2010
Last Updated on February 19, 2018

Author

Samuel Dickens
Samuel Dickens

Alma, AR



About
Greetings, all. I'm a seventy-six year-old father of three sons who enjoys writing, art, music, motorcycles, cooking, and a few other things. From 1967 to 1988, I served in the US Navy, where I travel.. more..

Writing
Falling Falling

A Story by Samuel Dickens



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Long after... Long after...

A Poem by Gee