Footprints

Footprints

A Poem by Samuel Dickens
"

Looking back to where I've been

"

I’ve sailed the world’s oceans and gazed upon faraway, liquid horizons. Soothed by gentle breezes or bruised by angry waves, I learned to love it there, upon the sea. 

Once beneath a blazing, desert sun, I saw ancient spirits dance on gaseous waves. Offering eternity, they spoke to my soul. When nightfall came, ten million twinkling stars swirled above in an ink-black sea of wonder.

Breathing air of arctic chill, I walked on pillow-soft tundra to Finger Bay, where salmon made their run. Way up in that northern clime, I found a certain beauty. Rugged, clean and cold, I might have called it home.

High above the sea and land, I’ve flown on silver wings. It’s easy to dream inside a cloud, and I longed to linger there. How easy it is, you see, to soar without a care, forgetting for a while, afflictions and despair.

Deep inside a forest, among the noble trees, I’ve sat upon a rock and pondered life’s mysteries. Of every place I’ve been, and every voice I’ve heard, and every sight I’ve seen, no other can compare to this one, most serene. Leave me long to tarry here until my final day, and then I’ll lie down ‘neath this oak and sleep my cares away.

© 2018 Samuel Dickens


Author's Note

Samuel Dickens
Re-tracing some of my footprints.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

If we are fortunate we build up a lifetimes treasure chest of memories. They can help carry us through bad times. You have done a good job here Samuel in describing your personal treasures and conveying through them through words. I often think how fortunate I have been to experience so many stunning places. Of course being able to share these experiences at the time adds to the experience.
Here is to future treasures in the chest.
Regards, alan

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

6 Years Ago

Thanks, Alan. I don't get out much anymore, but I sure used to.
Bill Kamen

3 Years Ago

I share your lack of getting out much anymore, whereas, I also do not but like yourself, have a head.. read more



Reviews

I was there, just now, in each of these lovely places. Dreaminging inside of a soft cloud. .. I want to go there again leaving behind my own moments of despair. Thank you for showing me these places you have been.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This feels like a modern day Wordsworth sprouting to life. I loved being absorbed in the atmosphere, and the leaves of the forest.

Great write!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Exactly, prose poem. I read this and thought, I want to be there... it makes me longing for deep strong feeling when experiencing nature and history. Wonderfully painted. Did you ever read Harold Brodkey? He also creates sentences like this: long sentences and words I read - they impact.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There is such a stunning, rich beauty to this write. You transport us over time and space to worlds that awaken the deepest sense of life around us. This was wonderful to read!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am not learned myself.....but I can tell you this poem of art trancends one into the realms of beyound.....it has a magical sense.....the choice of words...the arrangement of the words...is inviting...thank you Samuel for this piece...blessings

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

tis prose with rhyme and tickled a lot of memories. I've watched St Elmo's fire and was in Alaska on the day it became a state, (Hawaii too)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is an excellent prose poem indeed, and I like the use of rhyme in the last paragraph.
The reader is left with a sense of natural peace and wonderment. Excellent work, Sam, as always.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Sam,

I have never tried a prose poem before either, but I think you nailed it. The imagery was nice as you celebrated and acknowledged that seasons bring highs and lows and tied it together with the view from above. The ending was so "serene" amongst the noble trees. Very poetic and beautiful.

Pat

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


4
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1008 Views
38 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 13, 2010
Last Updated on February 19, 2018

Author

Samuel Dickens
Samuel Dickens

Alma, AR



About
Greetings, all. I'm a seventy-six year-old father of three sons who enjoys writing, art, music, motorcycles, cooking, and a few other things. From 1967 to 1988, I served in the US Navy, where I travel.. more..

Writing
Falling Falling

A Story by Samuel Dickens



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Paupers Paupers

A Poem by Tate Morgan