April Morning Serenade

April Morning Serenade

A Poem by Samuel Dickens
"

Inspired by the experience, I had to write about it

"

 

Early on an April morn, before the sun came up

I made a pot of coffee, and poured myself a cup

I’d barely sipped a sip or two when I did surely hear

A songbird singing sweetly, it’s voice so high and clear

Quietly, I sneaked outside, hoping I could see

That early morning soloist who sang so beautifully

Before the dawn as I looked on, across the road he sat

Upon the neighbor’s mailbox; can you imagine that?

An audience of one, perhaps, I listened to the song

A serenade of purest sound; not one note was wrong

Early on an April morn, before the sky grew light

God sent me down a singer to start my day out right

© 2011 Samuel Dickens


Author's Note

Samuel Dickens
I wrote this in April of 2010, and now it's a year later. When I walked outside with my cup of coffee this early morning, there on the same mailbox was a bird singing its heart out. I wonder--could it be the same one?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is my kind of poetry .. I love my little blessed bird friends .. they comfort me often .. Hope you don't mind, here is one I wrote some time back ..



There is snow on the ground

I see the tracks of little feet

A sign that a few chose not to leave

And I smile for what you do ..

What sweeter comfort

Could you have sent ..

As the sunlight wanes

And the night draws near ..

J.

There was a pic of a little song bird attached ..

This is perfectly delightful Sam .. I love it .. Thank you .. .

Jasmine xx




Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

11 Years Ago

Thanks, Jazz, and double-thanks for the poem. Little things like a small bird can often give us grea.. read more
J. J.  Nightingale

11 Years Ago

You are welcome Sam .. and Yes they surely do .. :)



Reviews

I've actually read this a few days ago just before I went to bed, and didn't have time to review it up until now - flows beautifully, with a near perfect rhyming scheme (see-beautifully is a bit of a stretch, but I can live with it.. ;)) and very good imagery. I wanted to write something longer and a bit more insightful, but lately I don't seem to have any spare time on my hands, and I didn't want to forget to comment on this very beautiful and appreciated piece.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is really beautiful Sam. You captured such a
serene picture and set it off with brillant color.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
x
I loved it. Loved the simplicity of it and who hasn't experienced this very same moment! There is such wonder in the simple things in life and you have so beautifully captured one here. Thank you indeedy.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The rhythm here is nice. I struggled with "That early morning soloist who sang so beautifully" on the first read-through. I felt like a dumbass when I realized I had to pronounce it as I normally would, "beautiflee." I like your poem...but I LOVE your stories.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is very very beautiful, and so positive! What a wonderful experience. This really is a 'feel good' poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is perfect and beautiful. The imagery is wonderful and it reads so well. Nice writing. You should write more poetry. :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

No, you don't write poems very often, but when you DO, yabbada-wow! What an exquisite vision, one I have been sharing of late, as my temporary home is on Lake o' the Pines, in a patch of woods, so all day is squirrels, cardinals, loons (the bird kind!) and NPR...Most relaxing; a great way to chill: when the world seems to be shattering into little bitty pieces all around you, it's lovely to be reminded of nature's primacy, and God's wholeness. Wonderful, Sammo, just amazing!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Surely you are the unknown poet Who will be regaled for eons after your death

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I'm glad that it had to be written, as it's as beautiful as the song itself, almost. A nice way to give thanks for the experience, sharing it with others. :) I hope you are doing well?

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1151 Views
31 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on April 12, 2010
Last Updated on April 8, 2011

Author

Samuel Dickens
Samuel Dickens

Alma, AR



About
Greetings, all. I'm a seventy-six year-old father of three sons who enjoys writing, art, music, motorcycles, cooking, and a few other things. From 1967 to 1988, I served in the US Navy, where I travel.. more..

Writing
Falling Falling

A Story by Samuel Dickens



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Biting Back Biting Back

A Poem by Bubo


Deeper Deeper

A Poem by Robin