Please Don't Tell Aunt Martha

Please Don't Tell Aunt Martha

A Poem by Samuel Dickens
"

A Civil War poem

"

I did my best, oh mother dear, the cruel war to survive

knowin’ that you’d need your son, since papa up’t and died

I thought we’d run them Yankees back, right north into Missouri

it’d only take a week or two; no need was there for worry

Two thousand strong, we left Fort Smith, marching toward Cane Hill

and that is where we found Blunt’s men and blood began to spill

It wasn’t like I thought it’d be, I’m very sad to say

cause somethin' happens to your soul when murder has its way

Killin’ ain’t a natural thing that good folks ought to do

and that is why my finger froze when I seen cousin Hugh

I know he never saw my face, but just a suit of grey

so please don't tell Aunt Martha who put me in my grave

© 2015 Samuel Dickens


Author's Note

Samuel Dickens
Inspired by the Battle of Cain Hill, fought on November 28, 1862 near Fayetteville, Arkansas. I can't confirm that he was present at the battle, but my great-grandfather, Richard Dickens, was assigned to one of the units.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Civil War-an oxymoron...Family against family, tainting the earth with spillage of innocent blood...your dramatic and well-written poem so poignantly drives this home in the gentle, innocent words of a young boy and his tragic death by the hand of a cousin. Your great-grandfather (amazing picture) must have seen so much devastation. Excellent use of historical facts, colloquial language of the period, beautiful form, flow, cadence, imagery and rhyme. Took my breath away Sam. Kudos for this important and touching memorial.

Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Samuel Dickens

6 Years Ago

Thank you, Annette. I wish we could learn from our mistakes.



Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
mir
Very interesting and fantastic short story. You're a master at that thar southern talkin'! 'Ar talkin' ain't much different below ya in Texas! Love it!
Thought I'd go back to one of your earlier writings----"pretty darn good!"

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

My father is a man of veitnam, It is so hard for the good men and women who fight in any war, i'm sure it pains them to have to do such tragic things, so others can feel safe while they sleep at night

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a chilling and sad piece. I think history would have sunk in during high school alot more if it had been told this way. The books make it sometimes seem so impersonal. Great writing Sam, another touching piece of work. Thanks for keeping history alive :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Told with the skill of Mark Twain. The Civil war put brothers against brothers. It is sad so little is said of this terrible conflict. It is a strong and sad story about a war to change the USA. Thank you for these powerful words and story.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked this one. The ended was expected, yet unexpected. Well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was great--- I wasn't sure about it at first, but the end packed quite a punch. This piece was excellent in talking about the cruelty of the Civil War, how family fought family.. very well done.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The civil war was a horrible war that not only tore apart America, but families as well so that blood lain waste on one another. The poor souls in such a desperate, distraught year.

It brought out that feeling creating a lot of serious, yet interesting points. The broken families, the tradgedy of murder, the murder of innocence before the awaiting eyes.

Not only have the words bring out those lively points, but have been strung together to create a morose melody, a rhythm to follow among the end rhymes.

As much as I adore history, I don't know this battle. Maybe I'll learn about it next year. I thank you for sharing this wonderful piece.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

All wars are horrible and as said, "Hell".. the Civil War... it is the worst we have fought in America .

The poem is wonderful and brings to light how cruel and also sad this war was.
Family fighting and killing family..
The title to this poem is as moving as the poem itself.
Please don't tell Aunt Martha.. this brings up thoughts of what she would think or feel if she were told.
I have read of the Battle of Cain Hill.

Wonderful poem that sheds light on the horrors of the Civil War and all wars.

Chloe

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is powerfully stirring.. Have seen some of battlegrounds and there is still a sense of pain in so many lost... You give us an emotional connection to something long ago that put family against family. Excellent write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was a true time machine. Really well done. Thank you for posting it.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1697 Views
53 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on July 2, 2010
Last Updated on May 30, 2015

Author

Samuel Dickens
Samuel Dickens

Alma, AR



About
Greetings, all. I'm a seventy-six year-old father of three sons who enjoys writing, art, music, motorcycles, cooking, and a few other things. From 1967 to 1988, I served in the US Navy, where I travel.. more..

Writing
Falling Falling

A Story by Samuel Dickens



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Falling Falling

A Story by Samuel Dickens


Lucy Lucy

A Story by Samuel Dickens